Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Best place to join in class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to join in class action lawsuit

Has anyone researched the best firm to work with to join a class action law suite on the TDI emissions issue? Specifically are there any law firms that may agree to represent us for less than 30% commission? And do any offer a great chance to a higher payout?

Last edited by uberwgn; 11-25-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

"suit" not "suite".

We sure live in a litigious society. Jump the gun even before Audi/VW is given the chance to offer up a solution to fix the problem. If their solution is not viable or reasonable then, I understand, TDI owners may want to sue for compensation. The only ones who will benefit from a lawsuit are the lawyers. Win or lose, they get paid. Why keep making lawyers rich?

I am 100% sure there are law firms throughout the US already jockeying in position for a class action lawsuit. Just surf the net, I'm sure you'll find opportunistic lawyers already gathering people for a class action lawsuit against VAG.

Here's one example I just found through Google search:
Hagens Berman and Quinn Emanuel File New Lawsuit Against VW for Tainted 3.0-Liter Diesels | Business Wire
Old 11-25-2015, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plat27265
"suit" not "suite".

We sure live in a litigious society. Jump the gun even before Audi/VW is given the chance to offer up a solution to fix the problem. If their solution is not viable or reasonable then, I understand, TDI owners may want to sue for compensation. The only ones who will benefit from a lawsuit are the lawyers. Win or lose, they get paid. Why keep making lawyers rich?

I am 100% sure there are law firms throughout the US already jockeying in position for a class action lawsuit. Just surf the net, I'm sure you'll find opportunistic lawyers already gathering people for a class action lawsuit against VAG.

Here's one example I just found through Google search:
Hagens Berman and Quinn Emanuel File New Lawsuit Against VW for Tainted 3.0-Liter Diesels | Business Wire
They've already revealed that the fix will be in the way of a software re-tune. We've already have instances of people getting dicked around on their trade in's. I'm not sure he's jumping the gun at all. And if Audi's remedy is not satisfactory to this particular owner how do you feel you should have any say in how he seeks a suitable (to him) remedy?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bmoores
They've already revealed that the fix will be in the way of a software re-tune. We've already have instances of people getting dicked around on their trade in's. I'm not sure he's jumping the gun at all. And if Audi's remedy is not satisfactory to this particular owner how do you feel you should have any say in how he seeks a suitable (to him) remedy?
According to Autoblog, the fix is a
software update for the emissions control system...
. There is no mention of a "software re-tune" as you mentioned in your post. There are no details of the software update available to really say it is a reasonable fix or not. VAG submitted their solution to the EPA in hopes that EPA will agree to it. Once they get EPA's OK, they'll let everyone in one the details.

However, the "software update for the emissions control system", tells me that the solution will tweak the consumption of the DEF fluid to deal with the excess NOx. My hunch is that the 'fix' may not have an effect or will have a very small effect on the engine performance. That's just my guess. Until we hear the details, let's not 'jump the gun' and go all loco.

I am not stopping the OP or any affected TDI Owner from anything. If joining a class action lawsuit makes his or her boat float then, by all means, do it. I am just saying to remain calm and be patient. Law firms are wolves. They pounce on money-making opportunities such as this VAG scandal to prey on highly emotional victims who have become irrational due to the hype the media has created to sell the news. Wait for the facts and details to be revealed. It may turn out to be nothing or it may be something else.

Last edited by plat27265; 11-25-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Exactly what I've been saying. No need to shorten one's life with anger, frustration or extra stress untill all the facts are revealed. There will be plenty of time to enjoin a class action if necessary.

Also, be aware that these suits usually take years - gathering up claimants, filing, depositions, etc., etc.. At some point the litigators will join up and near a trial date, there will be a negotiation to settle (which usually happens as lawyers would much rather settle than go to trial). But br aware, VAG is not just going to roll over and pony up - thay will stall the process and fight to minimize any payout.

If a settlement is approved by the court, the lawyers will get 35-40% and everyone else gets a small piece of what's left which can take another year or two for final disbursement. If no settlement is reached and it goes to trial (more time elapsed), the end result will mostly be the same - years to see a dime if the class action is successful. Or nothing if it's not. Been there, done that.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plat27265
According to Autoblog, the fix is a . There is no mention of a "software re-tune" as you mentioned in your post. There are no details of the software update available to really say it is a reasonable fix or not. VAG submitted their solution to the EPA in hopes that EPA will agree to it. Once they get EPA's OK, they'll let everyone in one the details.

However, the "software update for the emissions control system", tells me that the solution will tweak the consumption of the DEF fluid to deal with the excess NOx. My hunch is that the 'fix' may not have an effect or will have a very small effect on the engine performance. That's just my guess. Until we hear the details, let's not 'jump the gun' and go all loco.

I am not stopping the OP or any affected TDI Owner from anything. If joining a class action lawsuit makes his or her boat float then, by all means, do it. I am just saying to remain calm and be patient. Law firms are wolves. They pounce on money-making opportunities such as this VAG scandal to prey on highly emotional victims who have become irrational due to the hype the media has created to sell the news. Wait for the facts and details to be revealed. It may turn out to be nothing or it may be something else.
Retune update. Tomato tomato.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Odds are the suits will be merged and heard as one class action for each group. That may be one federal suit, or multiple state suits (based in different causes and groups) but I'd let some dust settle first. You don't get anything more or different if you join a group on the day the suit is filed, versus anytime within the period when the suit is ongoing. This will be a long slow process.

Class-action status has to be awarded, and VW may contest that, so it is a bit premature to worry about which one to join.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How/why would you/could you sue if we don't even yet know the exact remedy from Audi?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bmoores
Retune update. Tomato tomato.
Nope. Two different things. Don't take it out of context. Re-tune = engine performance parameters. A 'Software Update on the Emissions Control System" does not equate to an engine system re-tune. Apples to Oranges.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents,

long time lurker here who would like to know how to change thread settings so the first post is at the top of page 1. so frustrated! TIA.

Quick Reply: Best place to join in class action lawsuit