Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 219060

Default Best sun shield?

Am about to investigate sun shields (to protect the front of the car when parked), and see that there is an Audi one. anyone have thoughts on it, and if there are better options? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 285456

I'm interested in knowing as well and would love to hear how easy it is to use. I haven't used a sunshade for a longtime and recall they used to be a bit of a pain to use, fold, and store but I can see the advantage of having one over not having/using it.
imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 281183

I use a Covercraft type. It folds up accordian style and works great. I livein San Diego and the sun is strong here. The shade keeps my interior bearable at the end of the day. I think I paid about forty dollars but it's the best...it fits like a glove.For a few bucks less you can get a roll-up style made of mylar foil. They work well too but rolling it up is a bit of a pain in the butt. It's really about your personal preferance.
USAVAGEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 270264

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAVAGEU View Post
I use a Covercraft type. It folds up accordian style and works great. I livein San Diego and the sun is strong here. The shade keeps my interior bearable at the end of the day. I think I paid about forty dollars but it's the best...it fits like a glove.For a few bucks less you can get a roll-up style made of mylar foil. They work well too but rolling it up is a bit of a pain in the butt. It's really about your personal preferance.
You don't happen to have a model number for that covercraft shade do you? After purchasing three shades at my local autoparts store, none of them really fit well, so I ended up buying the Audi shade.... but it's a roll up... which really is a drag.
LASQ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought it on Amazon....did a search for Audi Q5 sunshade

Product Details
Manufacturer:Covercraft
Manufacturer reference:UV11142BL
Product Dimensions:40.5 inches x 8 inches x 2.5 inches
Shipping Weight:6 pounds
ASIN:B007V2C3OQ
Amazon.com Sales Rank:199215

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASQ5 View Post
You don't happen to have a model number for that covercraft shade do you? After purchasing three shades at my local autoparts store, none of them really fit well, so I ended up buying the Audi shade.... but it's a roll up... which really is a drag.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 87033

The only shade that I would consider is the 2-piece variety that folds neatly into a circle shape. The accordion style and any others are just too bulky and awkward to install and stow away. I stow my 2-piece shade in the net on the back of the passenger seat. You can find this type of shade just about anywhere (i.e. Walmart) but judging the correct size can be tricky. A big shade will not fit in the Q5... you need a small or medium. Just hang on to the packaging and receipt so you can return the shade if your first guess is wrong.
stash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 270264

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAVAGEU View Post
I bought it on Amazon....did a search for Audi Q5 sunshade

Product Details
Manufacturer:Covercraft
Manufacturer reference:UV11142BL
Product Dimensions:40.5 inches x 8 inches x 2.5 inches
Shipping Weight:6 pounds
ASIN:B007V2C3OQ
Amazon.com Sales Rank:199215
Awesome, Thanks! The roll up is way too cumbersome
LASQ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member

I used the spring wire frame style on my Z28 and liked the way they folded into a neat package, but they didn't offer anywhere near the r value of the insulated folding style.
Like I said...it's really a matter of preferance and each type has it's merits.....stay cool guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
The only shade that I would consider is the 2-piece variety that folds neatly into a circle shape. The accordion style and any others are just too bulky and awkward to install and stow away. I stow my 2-piece shade in the net on the back of the passenger seat. You can find this type of shade just about anywhere (i.e. Walmart) but judging the correct size can be tricky. A big shade will not fit in the Q5... you need a small or medium. Just hang on to the packaging and receipt so you can return the shade if your first guess is wrong.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 283188

I have the audi Q5 one. It works great. Fits perfectly, rolls up, and keeps securely rolled with velcro. $35 from Audi, but dealers get discounts every so often.
- B - is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:39 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 11047

I have the Covercraft UVS100 and really like it. It's a stiff hardened type material that is custom fit and has a dash-friendly felt-type side. It completely matches the windshield, minimizing sunlight.

They are bulky, yes, but do fold nicely. The only thing I wish it has was a couple Velco straps to keep the accordion together when stowing.

] 1999 Melange A8
] Fully optioned, cold/warm package, 20" Borbet wheels
] ECU, Tip, and H/R coilover upgrades

You can love your Audi, just don't LOVE your Audi.
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement