Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Big crunch.. goodbye, Q5?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Big crunch.. goodbye, Q5?

I'm truly sad that this has to be the content of the second thread I've ever started on this forum, as it has been incredibly helpful to me.. But I know this is probably a good place to seek advice and look for comfort from other owners who can understand the sadness of seeing a car that has become a trusty sidekick in a state of damage!
At age 26, after ten years of accident-free driving and hundreds of thousands of miles driven, I finally had my first car crash.
Last January, I ordered my perfect Q5. 2014 TDI Prestige, Scuba Blue/Chestnut/Layered Oak, every option except the drive select/adaptive cruise package. It arrived in late March.
On Monday, we had quite a snowstorm. I had to make the drive from Portland, Maine to Concord, NH in the storm. A 2 hour drive turned into over 4 hours, but my trusty Q5 has always handled snow like a champion with the Blizzaks. I made it home exhausted but safe.
Tuesday was bright and sunny. I was out running some errands, had just exited the interstate and was waiting at the end of the ramp to turn right on red. The end of the ramp was pretty slick packed snow. Fortunately, I noticed in time. The driver behind me, strangely enough in a 2013 Q5, hit the slick patch and slid right into me at what I'd estimate to be at least 30 mph. His driver's door impacted the rear passenger's side corner of my car.
So, currently, my baby is at the body shop and I'm waiting to hear if it's totaled or if they'll try to fix it. When I saw it being loaded onto the tow truck I felt legitimately sad! I was very attached to this car, we'd gone through a lot together.
I couldn't feel a greater sense of luck that I was involved in a crash while in a safe car, and was hit by another very safe car with a seemingly honest and decent driver, and that we were both able to walk away with nothing more than some soreness. From the horror stories of accidents I hear, I'm blessed that this one has been so seemingly easy to deal with in comparison. But I don't want to have to think about getting a new car! I loved my blue TDI.

Stand by for photos, I've never tried posting any before so bear with me!
Old 02-05-2015, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Old 02-05-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear. Glad you're OK.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad to hear you're OK. To my inexpert eye, the damage doesn't look like it reached the frame so it should be repairable and good as new. If it is totaled, look on the bright side, you can replace it with a new Q% TDI ....
Steve
Old 02-05-2015, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't look like a "Total" to me. And they fix cars so nicely in today's world that you will never know it was wrecked. Not much fun to go through but you will come out OK>
Old 02-05-2015, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's a hard call to my untrained eye.. I did take a good look at the impact zone, and the fact that the bumper is still attached seems to disguise some of the damage. The car hit the bumper shroud but missed the actual metal bumper. The corner of the car is pushed in between 3-4" I'd say, depending on the spot. I'm actually hoping it will be totaled, just to avoid the hassle of being stuck with a car that's been in an accident. Ughhh
Old 02-05-2015, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

apparently not the 'real Stig'

Glad you are OK..car should be fixable..If totaled is defined as it costs more to fix that the car is worth...
Old 02-05-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
If totaled is defined as it costs more to fix that the car is worth...
This may vary by insurance company, but typically when the repair costs reach 70-75% of the car's value, it will be totaled.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same thing happen in my '99 A6 Avant. Except in perfectly clear California weather. Young Indian woman -- lots of FOBs in Fremont, where I was living, and pardon me if anyone is offended by that term, there's a new sitcom of that name -- driving a ladder-framed Jeep Cherokee. Was paying too much attention to her child in the rear seat; I'd noticed her singing to him/her at a previous stop light. I was slowing down for a red light on a straight, flat, four-lane divided road when BLAMMO! The next thing I know I was looking up at my sunroof. She tried to claim I'd stopped short but luckily I had a witness. Insurance company totaled it and gave me a check for $13K. Of course its replacement, a fully loaded Mazda CX-9, ran me more than $45K with extended warranty, tax, license, reg, etc.

Best of luck to you.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, sorry to hear. But most likely it will be fixed.
We had the same thing happen in sunny California as well. 3 weeks after picking up our Q5 some *** hat was in a hurry and changed lanes right into the front drivers corner of our Q. Damage wasn't nearly as bad as yours, but I still feel your pain seeing your baby smashed up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big crunch.. goodbye, Q5?