Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Blargh! No A/C and its 98

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Most Audi's , my previous B6 A4, for one, are well designed in this respect.The Ac.pressure switch can be removed and replaced without having to remove the refrigerant gas.When you remove the switch there is a valve at the base of the threaded housing which shuts and prevents leakage.Makes sensor replacement easy and cheap.
Tech guys from my dealership told me exactly what you are saying, with one exception - once they had a case when shut off did not work and they had to pump the gas out.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DimaA6_ABC_Kiev
This sensor failed on wife's Q5 without any accident. Dealership guy said they had plenty of such issues not only in Q5's. ETKA says after some date sensor has different version, looks like VAG has redesigned them.

There's a TSB for the AC sensor. Mine went out last summer without any indication of a problem, also in a '13. Turned out to be a well known problem. It would have been far better for Audi to reach out to owners of affected VINs, than to let the AC fail. I would have been able to get the repair made on my timetable and not during the hot summer.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The A/C on my 2012 A6 has just stopped working without any warning or obvious cause. Plus I was 180 miles away from home and had to drive back in the sweltering Florida heat. I don't have time until Wed to bring it in for warranty service.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
The A/C on my 2012 A6 has just stopped working without any warning or obvious cause. Plus I was 180 miles away from home and had to drive back in the sweltering Florida heat. I don't have time until Wed to bring it in for warranty service.
Thanks newmoon for turning me to this thread. Similar issue here, '12 A7 AC just stopped blowing cold all of a sudden. Its damn hot down here in South Florida, I had a great time driving home in the rain this afternoon with out the AC.

I've had the car a week today, hope this is not a sign of things to come.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just want to clarify something. Are you guys not getting cold air, or is the fan just blowing at a low setting regardless of what you set it to?

My problem, was that it blew at a low fan speed . To override it, and this is only temporarily, you have to turn the A/C off by hitting the A/C button. Next, manually adjust your fan. The fan speed should now change accordingly. Now, while fan is blowing at higher speed, press the A/C button to turn the A/C back on. You should now get cold air at whatever speed setting you selected.

However, mine eventually went back to a low speed setting, and I had to repeat the procedure. By the time I brought it to the dealership, the problem went away, and dealership could not replicate the problem. Service advisor said it was pressure switch and it was common problem. They didn't switch mine out cause there were no fault codes and warranty won't cover it. Its been over a year now, and problem hasn't return.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My original issue was no cold air. Fan speed was fine.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vutekho
I just want to clarify something. Are you guys not getting cold air, or is the fan just blowing at a low setting regardless of what you set it to?

My problem, was that it blew at a low fan speed . To override it, and this is only temporarily, you have to turn the A/C off by hitting the A/C button. Next, manually adjust your fan. The fan speed should now change accordingly. Now, while fan is blowing at higher speed, press the A/C button to turn the A/C back on. You should now get cold air at whatever speed setting you selected.

However, mine eventually went back to a low speed setting, and I had to repeat the procedure. By the time I brought it to the dealership, the problem went away, and dealership could not replicate the problem. Service advisor said it was pressure switch and it was common problem. They didn't switch mine out cause there were no fault codes and warranty won't cover it. Its been over a year now, and problem hasn't return.
My current issue does not seem to effect the fan speed. I am able to adjust the temperature via the controls and the fan speed automatically adjust as if it was operating normally. However the air that blows from the vents is hot.

Now i'm almost sure that its not just the outside air I believe its heating the the warm air as well. I'm down here in South Florida and midday temps are in the 90'S F. Even with that I'm pretty certain that the air that is blowing from the vents is actually heated. I have a service appointment on Monday so lets see if its this pressure switch that seems to be a common problem among a lot of Audi's.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vutekho
I have no problems with the fan speed. In fact, if I leave the climate control system in Auto, it automatically increases the fan speed because the A/C is not working to try and compensate. Of course that doesn't help when it's 95F outside and you just end up blasting this hot air at you.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
I have no problems with the fan speed. In fact, if I leave the climate control system in Auto, it automatically increases the fan speed because the A/C is not working to try and compensate. Of course that doesn't help when it's 95F outside and you just end up blasting this hot air at you.
Exactly the same thing. Where about it FL? I'm in the Coral Springs Area. I drove home last night up the Sawgrass Expressway with the windows down and the sunroof open. My 3 year old in the back seat loved it, may have to do that more often.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Raven8906
Exactly the same thing. Where about it FL? I'm in the Coral Springs Area. I drove home last night up the Sawgrass Expressway with the windows down and the sunroof open. My 3 year old in the back seat loved it, may have to do that more often.
Hey! I live in Palm Beach county and will be bringing it in to Audi Coral Springs on Wednesday.

Quick Reply: Blargh! No A/C and its 98