Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brake pad brand suggestions/recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckardk
Hawk says they don’t make front fitting pads for the non-hybrid Q5:

"We DO make a front for the 2014 Q5 HYBRID, but the pad shape and thickness are not at all the same as the front pads on your car. I verified with our engineering department, as well, and while we do make pads that are similar to what you need, we do not make an exact match at this time. We will be expanding our product line throughout 2016, so it’s worth checking back in a few months’ time to see what is available then."
Not sure what you ran into here exactly, but a possible guess is the hybrids "stayed behind" akin to the other older bigger motor ones (earlier 3.0Ts, the 3.2, etc.) that used the 345mm front rotors; I think split may have been 2013, except hybrid that stayed on longer. That is, they retained the older simpler floating caliper two piston set up rather than the later Brembo type one found on TDI's and such. Not sure, but speculating that could have affected the pad design, or at least raised questions in their minds about whether the prior pad 345mm fitment was still the same with a caliper change even w/ same rotor sizing.

FWIW, I'm not so much a Hawk fan from various of the enthusiast Mini commentary over the years from owners I trust--slippery feel to the ceramic types basically is the knock sometimes heard, which tend to be the lower dust. Trading less dust for top performance and feel are not my preferred tradeoffs. But I've also found on forums that brake pads are one of those "religious" type subjects that aren't worth getting wound around axles about. My own choices for last several years are either straight Audi branded (typically strong performance and good feel, but often dusty), or EBC reds (very similar feel to OE and typically lower dust; don't tend to get the "slippery"/higher effort knock some do). I've been around the block on a variety of other Euro pads as well with earlier Audis--Ate, Mintex, Jurid, plus the OES's underneath more recent dealer ones like a Delphi, TRW, Brembo, etc.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-08-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this thread, and I am also looking for a brake rotor kit for my Audi q5. I see a bunch of options.
Has anyone any recommendations on break/rotor kit for Audi q5 2015 4 cylinders?
I see power stop at rockauto but not sure if they are good for the Audi.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 151 Posts

Akebono "Euro Ceramic" pads for much less dust.
Zimmerman rotors.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Erion Alite
I found this thread, and I am also looking for a brake rotor kit for my Audi q5. I see a bunch of options.
Has anyone any recommendations on break/rotor kit for Audi q5 2015 4 cylinders?
I see power stop at rockauto but not sure if they are good for the Audi.
Thanks in advance.
I've not had to do the brakes on my SQ5 yet, but on my 535 I used Zimmerman rotors with Akebono ceramic Euro pads, like S4'ed suggests. They didn't have the strong initial bite of the OEM pads/rotors but they certainly stopped the vehicle more than adequately. They also didn't chew up the rotors, generate as much noise or dust as OEM; that means less wheel washing and the next time I only had to change the pads (not the rotors too).

Also, if you plan to keep the car a while, considering ordering from FCPEuro. They have a lifetime warranty on all their products, including wear/maintenance items like pads and rotors (even lubricants and filters...). The next time you need pads/rotors you order the new parts, install them, and return the used parts for a refund, and only pay for shipping the old parts back.