Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brakes and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and Rotors

I had my Q5 for 13 months and prior to that I had Q7 for 5 years. But I still cannot get used to the squeaky noise every time I brake during cold season or rain. I usually take my car to local audi dealer to get any services done. They told me I will need new brakes and rotors on the front. Can I get something else that is economical and does not squeak?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Penny Ryu
I had my Q5 for 13 months and prior to that I had Q7 for 5 years. But I still cannot get used to the squeaky noise every time I brake during cold season or rain. I usually take my car to local audi dealer to get any services done. They told me I will need new brakes and rotors on the front. Can I get something else that is economical and does not squeak?
The brake pads have been contaminated with something to cause the squeak, and perhaps at the last brake job someone wasn't careful and touched the brake pad surfaces with bare (dirty) hands. You need to replace the pads for certain, perhaps the rotors if they're worn, and whomever does the job should NOT touch the pad contact surfaces or the rotor brake surfaces with bare hands.

Another possibility is that the pads are "chattering" in the calipers, possibly because shims that were supposed to be used weren't. There's a product available in auto parts stores that is applied to the backs of the pads that can prevent this.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Figured this was as good a place as any for this... brake service for dummies stuff.

I'm taking my 2011 2.0T in for 45k mile service in a couple of weeks. On the 35k mile service, the guy mentioned that I'd have to replace my brakes soon as they were getting pretty low. I haven't tripped the sensor yet... normally I'd at least wait until getting the warning light, but I'd like to go ahead and get them serviced anyway. I'm moving to Germany in a month, and figure I might as well just knock out the brake service before I ship my car overseas.

I called the service rep for a quote, and he said it all depends on if I replace the rotors as well as the pads. He said it would be up to $650(!) for the fronts and $400(!) for the rears. Parts and labor. Cherry Hill Audi outside Philly. Holy crap that's just stupid expensive.

Given that people here have recommended to replace the rotors at the same time as the pads, any advice on where to get replacement OEM (or non-OEM) parts for cheaper and then just have the dealer do the labor? I don't care as much as some of you about the brake dust from the OEM pads, but I'm all ears if there's a better product out there that I don't know about.

I'm looking at genuineaudiparts.com (for example) and they list front pads at $106.39 ($132 MSRP), rear pads at $69.32 ($86 MSRP), 320mm (is there another size?) rotor at $100.75 ($125 MSRP), etc. Stupid questions: what all would I need to order exactly? I shouldn't need any of the other stuff like calipers, yaw sensors, splash shields, etc right? Do I need to order 4 rotors, 2 front pads, 2 rear pads or do they come in "sets"? Am I just destined to bend over and take it on this?

Should I just tell the dealer to suck it and go somewhere else to get the brakes serviced? Nope, I don't possess the technical expertise, equipment, time, patience, and trust in my abilities to do the brakes myself...

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you mechanically inclined? If so doing it yourself can save your hundreds!

We have many brake rotor and pad options available below from Genuine Audi to aftermarket replacements.

Click HERE to order or for more information

Also independent Audi shops will usually charge less for labor if you can't do the job yourself.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason
Old 11-22-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also consider TIRE RACK. They have a good selection. Take the parts to an indy that is familiar with German cars, BMW, MB, VW/Audi, Porsche and just call to make sure they have a VAG-COM in order to do your rears.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...r=Premium+Plus
Old 11-22-2013, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

ECS is a good place to consider, especially for aftermarket pads/rotors. I just replaced mine and ordered from Audiusaparts.com This website is actually Sunset Audi in Portland OR. Prices seem similar to what you quoted from the other site. Besides the 2 front and 2 rear rotors, and 2 front and 2 rear pads you'll need to order the caliper bolts. If you call the number on the website and tell them you are doing your brakes they can get you the right bolts. Here are the part numbers:

4 of N-911-476-01
2 of N-910-417-02
2 of N-911-268-01

These part numbers are for my 2010 3.2, so I'm assuming they're the same.

The other required bolts you need to replace are included with the pads. I am mechanically inclined and it took me about 5 hours to get it done one night. Most of that time was just figuring it out. Total cost for supplies was $562.23. You should also consider flushing your brake fluid when you change the brakes. Audi recommends every two years.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I have 6mm left on my brakes after my service at 60000km on my 2014 Q5. which means I will probably get the recommendation by next service that I will need to change my brakes.

Currently, my dealer has a promotion for 10% off brake components for the month of May.

I had an issue with debris buildup from another thread, and when discussing with the service manager I inquired about slotted aftermarket to help eliminate future buildup, and he suggested that would be fine but I should stick to OEM pads with them.

So, my question after looking at rotors on the ECS, there is a quite the span from $85 to $231 for front rotors for example. any experience with opparts or meyle? or the ECS cross drilled and slotted?

When I needed to change my brembos on my G35, i ordered aftermarket drilled and slotted brakes and changed them myself for like 400 bucks over the 4 grand the dealer quoted, and they were better than the stock ones i had before. I think I want to do the same this time.

Who has experience with ordering these aftermarket parts? From reference the dealer brake job price was $1200.

Audi Q5 Quattro 2.0T Braking - ECS Tuning

Old 05-27-2015, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

14Q5
Boy you're racking up the miles on your Q5 !
To put things in context I am a retired (ha) garage owner, Napa Autopro,and am on my third Audi.From the selection of parts ECS is offering I would go for the following:
Discs - go with Zimmermann - really good quality less likely to warp and they wear well.Personally I always avoid drilled/slotted discs.They are often produced by taking a lesser quality blank steel rotor (often Chinese) and modifying them primarily for "cosmetic"reasons.If the vehicle came with factory drilled/slotted (porsche etc.) then the product is properly engineered to perform safely over time and should be maintained as such.
Pads - Textar are good, often original equipment on Audis and will maintain your braking characteristics.
For both items don't pay the premium for Audi parts.They don't make their own braking components and likely source them from the aforementioned manufacturers or similar.
Good luck.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
14Q5
Boy you're racking up the miles on your Q5 !
To put things in context I am a retired (ha) garage owner, Napa Autopro,and am on my third Audi.From the selection of parts ECS is offering I would go for the following:
Discs - go with Zimmermann - really good quality less likely to warp and they wear well.Personally I always avoid drilled/slotted discs.They are often produced by taking a lesser quality blank steel rotor (often Chinese) and modifying them primarily for "cosmetic"reasons.If the vehicle came with factory drilled/slotted (porsche etc.) then the product is properly engineered to perform safely over time and should be maintained as such.
Pads - Textar are good, often original equipment on Audis and will maintain your braking characteristics.
For both items don't pay the premium for Audi parts.They don't make their own braking components and likely source them from the aforementioned manufacturers or similar.
Good luck.
Thanks bud, this is exactly the type of response im looking for!

I am a kitesurfer, and am constantly chasing wind. I managed to rack 72k on my Tiguan in 26 months. On track for the same with this beast.

My next ride will be a golf tdi.... lol
Old 05-27-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have about 15K on both of my Q5s. They both make that damn squealing during cold and / or wet weather.

Not sure if I am ready to change out my rotors and / or pads so soon. I complained to the Dealership about it. They applied a service bulletin on my 2014 (which was greasing up the guides pins). It didn't work at all.

Not exactly sure what I am going to do yet. Might swap out my brakes on my 2015 when I lower / spacers / paint the calipers. Guess I should start looking for some nice cross drilled and / or slotted rotors. Make it look a heck of a lot meaner.

I know there are a couple of older threads on it as well...you might want to check out. Just cant seem tot find them right now...my work computer does some funny things.

V/r
Dan

Quick Reply: Brakes and Rotors