Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Brand new Q5 -- Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by runner61
Hi,
I just bought a brand new Q5 2015 and when the speeds gets to 15-16 mph, the rpm goes up on the downshift before coming to a stop. I believe you all had the same issue. Did you ever find out what your dealer do to fix it? Mine said there was nothing they could do. I also contacted AoA and they said my car was fine which infuriated me since they are not the ones driving it.

Thanks for your help!
Forget about any solutions from 2012. The latest software is the issue. I brought my 2013 in for a different shifting issue. They updated software to what the 14' and 15' models have. Now i have the rough downshift. There is nothing your dealer can do until Audi come out with another software "fix". The 14' loaner they gave me exhibited same rough downshift when braking. Car is smoother in sport mode unless u are in stop & go traffic where the "sport" gets rough at slow speeds.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by runner61
Hi,
I just bought a brand new Q5 2015 and when the speeds gets to 15-16 mph, the rpm goes up on the downshift before coming to a stop. I believe you all had the same issue. Did you ever find out what your dealer do to fix it? Mine said there was nothing they could do. I also contacted AoA and they said my car was fine which infuriated me since they are not the ones driving it.

Thanks for your help!
My 2015 Q5 could have same issue. when I apply the brake, it's not as smooth as I expected, especially at low speed(5-15). My 3 year old MDX is much better. Not sure I should send to dealer or not.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

And I thought I did low mileage...

Presumably you have the warranty on the car. So I'd suggest taking it in and asking the dealer to check it out and adjust if necessary.

I felt mine did the 2->1 downshift too hard, and coming from years in a stick I told the dealer simply that I'd be embarrassed to make that hard a downshift if I had all the computer brains my car is supposed to have. No comment, but the shift is MUCH smoother since I picked it up.

Of course I didn't tell him, I also knew how to do a 3->1 downshift in the old car. Great way to get pedestrians running out of the crosswalk when they're jaywalking in front of you.(G)
Old 07-18-2015, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Gear box jerks when shifting to gear 1

Dear all, my Audi Q5 2009 2.0 auto jerks when I am shifting to gear 1. I am a new Audi owner. The car had a gearbox software updates by the previous Owner from Audi. Please can some suggest what course of action should I take...
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

halim-
It would help to know the mileage and other details of the car. It is entirely possible that something is worn out or broken by now.
When say you it jerks when you shift to first, is this an automatic transmission that you are Downshifting from second to first? Or do you mean it always jerks when you are placing it in first gear from a dead start?
Your local Audi dealer may agree to take a short test ride with you to see if it is abnormal, and give you an idea of what might be involved even without doing a service write-up or charge. Sometimes they are very good at providing courtesy services. Some dealers much more so than others.

Audi has sometimes had some queer ideas about transmissions. On mine, the car wash expects me to keep it in neutral while riding through the rack, and then to shift it into drive while still rolling forward. That's never been a problem until I got an Audi, which now requires you to apply the brake and stop the car before it will shift from neutral back into drive. They call it a safety feature, I call it a pointless and significant danger.

No idea what they did on yours.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Redd
halim-
It would help to know the mileage and other details of the car. It is entirely possible that something is worn out or broken by now.
When say you it jerks when you shift to first, is this an automatic transmission that you are Downshifting from second to first? Or do you mean it always jerks when you are placing it in first gear from a dead start?
Your local Audi dealer may agree to take a short test ride with you to see if it is abnormal, and give you an idea of what might be involved even without doing a service write-up or charge. Sometimes they are very good at providing courtesy services. Some dealers much more so than others.

Audi has sometimes had some queer ideas about transmissions. On mine, the car wash expects me to keep it in neutral while riding through the rack, and then to shift it into drive while still rolling forward. That's never been a problem until I got an Audi, which now requires you to apply the brake and stop the car before it will shift from neutral back into drive. They call it a safety feature, I call it a pointless and significant danger.

No idea what they did on yours.
My car mileage is 70k. The problem occurs when the gear automatically shifting down to gear 1. I got the gear oil changed yesterday, thought as it wasn't done since new that was the source of the problem. Also got the timing belt and water pump changed yesterday.... Costed me £780.00.... Should I book it again.... Costing me alot
Old 07-19-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The story is that Rolls Royce chose Delco (GM) turbohydramatic automatic transmissions years ago simply because they were the smoothest and best ones made.

Audi...I know the transmission varies with the year and model, but even on the new cars there has been a lot of discussion here about the crude shifts in and out of first gear that some of our cars have made. As a stick shift driver, I'd be outright embarrassed if I couldn't shift smoother than an Audi often does.

But there also have been "reprogramming" fixes for the computer controls in some of the transmissions (damn computers, they must be unhappy about the programming as well) and there are so many more internal parts these days...I would certainly take it in, at least tell them "I just had the fluid changed and all this other work, I assume someone test drove it, did anyone think the transmission didn't sound right?" and you certainly should get an answer like "Let's go see, where's the car?" right on the spot.

Timing belts (even chains) are a routine maintenance item. Many people ignore them, many people wind up paying expensive tows & repairs because they have ignored them. Presumably you got the car because you like it, so "in for a penny in for a pound".

It may just be an "Audi-o-syncracy" of the car, but you'll sleep better if you know for sure, yes?
Old 04-05-2016, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

what I know is that Audi has to repair this trasmicion that comes with a factory defect in the valve body only for audi Q5 2.0 2010 bout that