Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Buying a new Q5

Old 05-28-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new Q5

First off I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this and help me out with my first purchase into the Audi family. I know there are probably multiple posts of what I am about to ask, but I couldn't find any specifically relating to my questions. I will first give you some background on what I am looking for and then dive into the questions.

I am looking to buy a Q5 a few of the must have options for me are as follows:
<li>S line plus package (mainly for the wheels shown in the build I have attached)</li><li>Panoramic Sunroof</li><li>3.0T premium plus</li><li>Phantom black pearl exterior and black leather interior</li><li>Decent sound system (im not sure if the bang and olufsen is worth it?)</li>

I have been searching for a Q5 to match these specs but the prices I keep seeing are higher than the attached build. Mainly because everything I have been seeing also includes the navigation package (is it really worth it?). The dealer I have been dealing with in my opinion just wants to sell me cars on his lot so he has been pushing me away from ordering the specific one I want.

My questions are as follows:
<li>The dealer I am dealing with says that the tinted black wheels (as shown in the build attached) do not come standard with the car and are extra on top of the s-line plus package. Does anyone know this to be fact?</li><li>The price I have had quoted for one of the cars he has on the lot with an MSRP of 52,386 and negotiated price of 50,200 comes out to a montly lease payment of $798 a month with 2500$ down (based on a 36 month 12,000 mile/yr lease). This seems a little high to me after doing some calculations. I am not sure of the MF and RV values he was using. Could anyone advise on how the price is?</li><li>For owners of current Q5's.. The reason I was initially drawn to the car is the way it looks in the build attached with the s-line plus package and wheels. I haven't had much luck finding any actual real pictures with the options selected in the build including the wheels. Does anyone on here have something similar and could post pictures?</li><li>Exactly what values of MF and RV should i be shooting for at the dealership on a 3.0T Premium Plus with S-Line Plus package? I have very good credit so that should not be a problem</li><li>Is the 3.0T really worth it over the 2.0T and can I get the S-Line plus package on a 2.0T premium plus?</li>

Once again I thank you for all of the help!
The exact build I am looking for is attached!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
05_19_2014 Audi Q5 .pdf (349.6 KB, 219 views)
Old 05-28-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry one more question to add on:

<li>Is it worth waiting and ordering a 2015 Q5? What are the specific changes?</li>
Old 05-28-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the 2014 model year,

1. S-Line package is not listed as an option in the 2.0T order guide sheet.
2. The 20" titanium peelers are only offered delivered from the factory with the S-Line package.
3. If you don't get the S-Line package, the dealer can order the titanium wheels separately, but you'll have an extra set of original wheels unless your dealer wants to deal and swap them for some nominal upcharge.

B&O is definitely worth the money on the Q5, less so on models with the pop-up tweeters (A6/A7/A8/Q7).

Here's a shot of my phantom black with the titanium wheels. The wheels are more of a dark gray and not black as depicted by the Audi website.
Attachment 104052
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AKWolfe
Sorry one more question to add on:

<li>Is it worth waiting and ordering a 2015 Q5? What are the specific changes?</li>
Name:  3rzuGp6.png
Views: 36
Size:  97.1 KB
Old 05-28-2014, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

RobC,

Thanks for the quick response. Makes sense that it only comes straight from the factory with those wheels. Could explain why my dealer was saying that it was an upcharge.

B&O seems like a no brainer to add then.

As far as the 2015 model upgrades is there no power tailgate currently on the 2014 model? Or is it just that it is an upcharge?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions, really all I need to know now is if the financials make sense.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also, thanks for posting the picture. The phantom black seems a lot more black glossy than I pictured it would from the audi site. And I see what you mean by how the wheels are more of a grey.

As I was kind of set on the wheels being darker and the color being more of a matte black I am not sure if I would get the S-Line package just for the wheels. Maybe at that point I could just go down to a 2.0T premium plus and save a lot of change.

In your opinion of the other S-line features, is it worth the extra cost? Is there a huge difference in driving between the 2.0T and 3.0T? I currently have a 2012 Volkswagen GLI 2.0T and I was kind of hoping to keep the same type of speed/acceleration.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just took delivery of a Q5 Prem+ w/o Nav or B&O, so I have the Concert III radio w/ AMI.

While I don't regret having saved the money on the Nav package, there's one thing I wish the car had standard that is giving me some grief: bluetooth audio streaming. I didn't want Nav because I use Waze. I didn't particularly care about the backup cameras because it's a small SUV with almost no blind spots. But bluetooth audio streaming would have been really nice.

I'm using a Tune2Air right now. It works, but I have some issues with it's implementation. I'm on a Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3, and I cannot get track names to show up. What I get is "Next" and "Prev" instead of track names. This allows me to switch tracks at least from the steering wheel or dash controls. Apparently this is a limitation between the Tune2Air, the AMI interface, and the Audi radio. The makers of Tune2Air say their device is running AVRCP 1.4, which is a Bluetooth device control profile that allows sharing track info over Bluetooth, and that the problem is with Audi. My guess is that since the AMI was never designed to work with anything but an iPod, that the developers haven't figured out how to take the AVRCP info and spit it out as something Audi can understand. Apparently the Tune2Air device works almost perfectly with the iPhone.

My other issue with it is that the Audi wants to auto-play the Tune2Air device at regular intervals if it's plugged in but not playing anything. When I connect, it auto starts my music. If I pause my music, it restarts my default music player. Lately I've noticed that if I am using voice commands on Waze and that auto-play interval hits, it will break my voice command sequence and start streaming music again.

As far as the SDCard goes, I haven't figured out how to make playlists actually work on it. I have tried extremely basic one-line playlists and still can't get them to work. I've read all the threads on it. It just doesn't seem to want to work for me. It's sub-optimal anyways, because I prefer to have my Nav commands pause my music and come over the speakers. That only works if I'm bluetooth audio streaming.

I haven't figured out a solution yet. I'm an engineer with some programming experience and heavy technical background so I am FAR from giving up and settling with a sub-optimal solution and may try something like Kivic One or AirEnabler soon. I am actually enjoying the challenge. I'm telling you all this because if you're planning on doing Bluetooth Audio Streaming but don't WANT to fiddle around with things and want something that works well out of the box, you may read this and think the money for the Nav package is worth it to you. That is literally the only feature of that package I wanted. I'll also add that I absolutely LOVE my Q5, but think it's ridiculously stupid of Audi to leave something this basic out of what is otherwise an almost-perfect small enthusiast's SUV.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

By the way, if you just want different wheels, look at Hartmann wheels. They seem to have very good reputation and are Audi replicas with OEM quality. This is what I am eventually going to do as I just have the stock 18's on mine and wanted the darker wheels without the cost of everything else, like you. I also want to stay with 18" tires for cost, comfort, and durability. My job takes me on some pretty back country roads at times.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AKWolfe
Is there a huge difference in driving between the 2.0T and 3.0T? I currently have a 2012 Volkswagen GLI 2.0T and I was kind of hoping to keep the same type of speed/acceleration.
Drive for yourself and see? On the speed front, the 2.0T is rated 0-60 in 7.0 sec vs. what looks like 6.8 for the GLI. How actual acceleration varies, though, I'm not sure. The 3.0T is rated at 6.0 so would definitely be speedier than your GLI. (As should the TDI which is rated at 6.5, but is the most-expensive engine up front.)

The 2.0T is a reasonable engine, but won't have as much "spare" power as the other engine options will, so it's possible that if you are picky about acceleration and such then it might not quite do it for you. But a test drive is the only way to get a real feel for it since everyone's different in what they're looking for and what they "notice".
Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

boscoh,

Thanks for your insight. I use Bluetooth so much now I don't think that is something I would want to give up. I think I will definitely look at getting the NAV package.

As far as changing out the wheels.. Since I am leasing I wasn't planning on doing any upgrades outside of what it has off the lot. Something to look into though if the pricing makes sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a new Q5