Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

A/C works one day and not the other

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C works one day and not the other

Hi guys,i need some serious help on my 2012 audi Q5 2.0t,i purchased this car less than a week ago,first day a/c was fine,no problems but the next day i turn the a/c on but nothing comes out from vents?!?! I can hear it when i turn it on but no air comes out from vents,not hot not cold,nothing.Taking it back to dealer tomorrow but it never acts up when its with them.Any ideas?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

There are probably fault codes stored even if it's working fine at the time. Find someone with VCDS (aftermarket software works similar to the dealer's software) to do a scan of the HVAC system and the entire car while you are at it. Usually with the fault code(s) and a search with "Audi Q5 2.0t" you will know what you are up to regarding a fix.
Did the dealer scan your car for codes? Often problems are only an electrical connector misbehaving and costs very little to fix or if you are lucky fix themselves. I am never that lucky.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time i took it to the dealer it was functioning so i dont know what all they did,i will make sure to ask them tomorrow to check codes.Thank you!

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
There are probably fault codes stored even if it's working fine at the time. Find someone with VCDS (aftermarket software works similar to the dealer's software) to do a scan of the HVAC system and the entire car while you are at it. Usually with the fault code(s) and a search with "Audi Q5 2.0t" you will know what you are up to regarding a fix.
Did the dealer scan your car for codes? Often problems are only an electrical connector misbehaving and costs very little to fix or if you are lucky fix themselves. I am never that lucky.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a bit off the subject, but since we're talking about cooling, I thought I'd get some input. I have a 2016 SQ5 with a bit over 7,000 miles. It was an ED car. I am disappointed in the volume of air coming from the air conditioning vents even at the highest blower setting. The temperature seems fine, but the volume of air does not. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it a common problem?
Old 07-23-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Jim-
The volume normally can be more than generous. But this might be a fan problem (bad fan, bad fan computer commands, etc.) or just "pilot error". Depending on whether the vents are set for high/low/etc. and whether the car is set for recycle/fresh, and the AC on AUTO or one of the manual fan settings...there's a learning curve.
Set the fan to manual, crank it up to 12, set the system to FRESH air and the vents to head or face only, and see how it behaves.

There's also a glitch in some of the climate control computers. Audi dropped a whole new custom/experimental climate control computer in mine last year, after several dozen dealerships in "hot and humid" states all complained of customers with the same problem. Under some circumstances (long runs under high heat, followed by high humidity and cooler temps) the evaporator apparently ices up, because the computer program slows the fan down without giving it an adequate run time to dry off the evaporator, so the moisture on the evaporator ices up and blocks the air flow.
The least likely--but possible and damned hard to pin down--problem could be the evaporator icing up under some circumstances for you as well.
Bottom line, it needs diagnosis by a better-than-average dealer who is willing to believe a customer that says "There's a problem". (After you check out that learning curve.)
Old 07-23-2016, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, Redd. I was leaving the climate control in AUTO assuming, apparently erroneously, that the computer would adjust the blower speed based upon the temperature differential between the thermostat setting and the actual temperature inside the car. Once I switched to manual control of the blower, the discharge air volume increased dramatically. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Jim-
I confess to never having read the entire manual for my first microwave oven. Nor ever trying to use the "defrost then cook later today" options. Not that I'm a Luddite but sometimes...I just don't want more bother.
The way that the AUTO setting seems to have been programmed to control the fan speed (override it? Boost it? Share it? Damfino) must seem "Proper" to someone, but I suspect he spent too long working with the guy who put the headlight switch where it can be turned off by a passing knee.

I would have figured "Hey, my job is to match this temperature that the boss called for, not to change the fan speed the boss already intentionally chose."

I wonder, maybe Elon Musk could be convinced to offer an "Owners' Developer Reprogramming Kit" to allow custom mods like that on the Tesla's? Or like the actor says to his dogs on the Lincoln commercial, "No, we are not having barbeque again tonight. Why? Because I said so."

Years ago someone called me a "computer fascist" and I asked Why? He said, "Well, if they don't work you just line 'em up against the wall and shoot them." I said Yup. That's about right. If they won't work...shoot 'em.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdolian
Thanks for the info, Redd. I was leaving the climate control in AUTO assuming, apparently erroneously, that the computer would adjust the blower speed based upon the temperature differential between the thermostat setting and the actual temperature inside the car. Once I switched to manual control of the blower, the discharge air volume increased dramatically. Thanks!
Hi jimdolian,

I also have similar feel about AC in our Q5- the air coming out is cold but there is not enough volume to adequately cool the vehicle. I believe that the pano sunroof w/ net sunshade contributes to the higher inside temps so the AC has to work "harder" then in my other car that has a solid sunroof shade (and beige seats instead of black).
Unfortunately, increasing the fan speed leads to more noise. Hopefully, the summer will be over soon...
Old 07-24-2016, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

m-
If you have 3M Crystalline "tint" applied to the moonroof (a sunroof has a metal panel, not glass) it blocks something like 98-99% of the UV and IR, so that even the lightest shade stops any heat from coming through the glass. There are other companies that make similar products, but it is hard to beat 99% IR blocking from a "light" tint, with a lifetime warranty.
FWIW.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The auto setting in our '15 q5 does automatically adjust fan speed as needed, and in my experience it does it well. I've seen the fan speed go up to 11 (12 is max) when needed. When you press the fan button, you can see what speed it's currently running on.

Quick Reply: A/C works one day and not the other