Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

California bounces proposed 3.0 TDI fix...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, well. I came back from vacation to this happy news. On the up side, this continues to put the pressure on VW/Audi to settle with 3.0L owners in a fashion similar - if not identical - to the 2.0L owners. On the down side, we can look forward to months more of delay and obfuscation.

And I dearly hope that Judge Breyer holds Robert Giuffra in contempt of court or sanctions him for lack of candor to the tribunal for his deeply misleading statements on the record last month about the "simple software fix" for our cars. It beggars belief that Audi has known SINCE FEBRUARY that their plan is garbage and have refused to further negotiate in good faith toward a settlement with us 3.0L owners. Time for the Elizabeth Cabraser and crew to earn their fee. They should have a field day with the CARB letter. I expect nothing less.

Many of us have said repeatedly that there is nothing simple about this and it's nice to be vindicated in that.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

From what I read today, Audi can fix the 3.0 by doubling the amount of urea used to clean the exhaust. Just seems they could find a way to put in a bigger urea tank in lieu of three trips a year to the dealer.

" Meanwhile, V-6 diesels can be brought within legal limits but require more than twice the amount of urea dosing (thereby necessitating additional tank refills)."

New York Supreme Court Complaint Blames Diesel Cheat on Audi ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Last edited by gojones; 07-23-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

If that is the only change then I would be happy.

It very easy to add DEF yourself and only costs $8 a gallon online.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

True...adding more urea will definitely reduce NOx, thus requiring more frequent refills within the service interval. Sadly, that's not the issue here. There's a chain reaction from that change.

The fragile adblue pump would have to work harder. There might be a need to increase the exhaust temperature to improve efficiency of the chemical reactions and the lifetime of the catalyst(s) in the SCR could be significantly reduced from these changes in order to meet emissions.

In other words, it's not that simple and they need to study or show that durability of the current hardware would not be significantly affected by changing any of the parameters controlling NOx treatment...thus the delay.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Ray, you kinda put the hay down where the goats can get it.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray_QT
True...adding more urea will definitely reduce NOx, thus requiring more frequent refills within the service interval. Sadly, that's not the issue here. There's a chain reaction from that change.

The fragile adblue pump would have to work harder. There might be a need to increase the exhaust temperature to improve efficiency of the chemical reactions and the lifetime of the catalyst(s) in the SCR could be significantly reduced from these changes in order to meet emissions.

In other words, it's not that simple and they need to study or show that durability of the current hardware would not be significantly affected by changing any of the parameters controlling NOx treatment...thus the delay.
Assuming the Audi fix would work, Audi should consider offering to EPA and FTC warranty enhancements that would encourage continued ownership. For sure the exhaust system including the DE filter / catalyst and everything else emissions to 12 years and 150,000 miles. While at that, extend the warranty on the fuel / DEF systems the same. Many people would keep their diesel vehicles under such conditions. We will see...
Old 07-24-2016, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ray_QT

And in addition, from reading the NY complaint it appears that the AdBlue fill MUST last for the 10,000 mile service interval without needing a refill in between, according to the regulations that the 3.0Ls were certified under. That means a bigger tank that there's no room for. It's an artificial problem but a problem nonetheless. I have no idea whether the regs give the parties the ability to negotiate compliance on that point.

Last edited by diesel3; 07-24-2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by diesel3
And in addition, from reading the NY complaint it appears that the AdBlue fill MUST last for the 10,000 mile service interval without needing a refill in between, according to the regulations that the 3.0Ls were certified under. That means a bigger tank that there's no room for. It's an artificial problem but a problem nonetheless. I have no idea whether the regs give the parties the ability to negotiate compliance on that point.
Can they change the service interval to address that? E.g., change service interval to 5000 miles. To sweeten the pot for owners, Audi will also perform a free oil change when you come in for AdBlue topoff.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
Can they change the service interval to address that? E.g., change service interval to 5000 miles. To sweeten the pot for owners, Audi will also perform a free oil change when you come in for AdBlue topoff.
I would be good with this. Especially if the emissions hardware ( DPF, Catalytic converters, and urea injection) were warrantied for the life of the vehicle.
I would even give up the proposed settlement compensation $ if they would do this. We bought ours with the intention of driving it for 200000 miles. Really don't want to have to buy a new vehicle and start over investing some of our own $ due to the scandal.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
I would be good with this. Especially if the emissions hardware ( DPF, Catalytic converters, and urea injection) were warrantied for the life of the vehicle.
Yeah, I'd expect that too. Some of the reports suggested part of the hold up was testing how the new software expected lifespan - Audi should take the risk that it will harm it, but I suppose it's reasonable for them to want some idea of how much it will increase the failure rate.

Quick Reply: California bounces proposed 3.0 TDI fix...again