Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

California bounces proposed 3.0 TDI fix...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
A note BTW on CARB (California Air Resources Board) for those not that familiar with emissions rules: There are two basic sets of rules, the federal baseline ones, and then California and any other states that elect to follow California rules. Back when emissions related laws and standards first came out, CA was allowed to set tougher rules because of the 60's observed heavy smog. In a federally authorized change some years ago now, other states were allowed to opt in to CA rules too. Simplified that now means California, the Pacific Northwest, and the Northeast. CARB is the de facto lead agency when you deal with the tighter CA rules. Audi certifies to all 50 states, instead of the old "CA car" for emissions purposes (usually meaning you couldn't get some motor version here) and then everywhere else. The NOx being spewed well above standards is also right at the heart of where the worst of the CA smog is health wise.

Thus CARB is basically relevant to all vehicles involved, since it is 50 state certification, and directly relevant to the other states following CA rules. You do get a somewhat more comprehensive emissions warranty if you are in a CA compliant state as well.
Thanks for this . . . I used to know more about all of this, but question: Could Audi ditch its 50 state certification and get certification just for the non-CA states? Might not work from a business standpoint, but I remember the old days where cars were sold "with California emissions" or without - and California would let you register a non CE car there after a few years (basically to prevent people from avoiding the option fee but to allow people to move to the state).
Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
Thanks for this . . . I used to know more about all of this, but question: Could Audi ditch its 50 state certification and get certification just for the non-CA states? Might not work from a business standpoint, but I remember the old days where cars were sold "with California emissions" or without - and California would let you register a non CE car there after a few years (basically to prevent people from avoiding the option fee but to allow people to move to the state).
I doubt it would work, but just for the sake of argument let's assume it does. What happens to those of us in California? I'd guess there would have to be some sort of buyback only for California. I can't see CARB allowing us to continue to register our non-compliant vehicles. Interesting thought...
Old 07-25-2016, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
Without researching it afresh, it looks like from Wikipedia that the CARB standards basically became the federal standards as of 2016--so all the ones that are stuck at dealers and ports for starters have to get fixed or shipped back out. You can guess those will be the very first ones fixed, including the now last generation Q7's they are saddled with. Even on the older ones, CARB standards apply to Pacific Northwest (and AZ and NM), plus Northeast, so a lot of states and sales. Audi sells better in those markets in general to compound it, so yet more impact. Net, they are stuck.

Excerpt:
Due to its preexisting standards and particularly severe motor vehicle air pollution problems in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the U.S. state of California has special dispensation from the federal government to promulgate its own automobile emissions standards. Other states may choose to follow either the national standard or the stricter California standards. States adopting the California standards include Arizona (2012 model year),[1] Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.[2][3] Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board.

The EPA has adopted the California emissions standards as a national standard by the 2016 model year[4] and is collaborating with California regulators on stricter national emissions standards for model years 2017–2025.[5]