Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 228035

Default calling all TDI's - brake issue??

1200 miles now. So I've noticed this slight surge if you will when slowing down. Happens at about 20mph and feels as if the brakes are giving a little extra grip then give a little then grip again causing me to feel kinda of a moving, stopping and moving feeling again. As if the brakes are gripping, releasing and gripping again. Upon further investigating also noticed an uptick in the rpm's at about the same time. Then wondered if it's the transmission downshifting a bit harshly, causing the gripping feeling. Does not seem to do this in S mode or manual, just regular auto. Anyone else notice this? Thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 83141

I think it is the transmission down shifting. I feel that in my TDI as well but would not describe it as a harsh downshift.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Account #: 26081

Default Sounds familiar and the Achilles heel of the ZF 8 speeds

They have been working on the programming of these boxes since day one to try to smooth out the shifting--not just Audi but other manufacturers who use it too. Most commonly it is felt in the lower speed downshifts, but can be elsewhere. The 2014s should be already revved for their last TSB update across lots of later Audis.
Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12 brilliant black w/ amaretto; 4 seat setup, CPO; modestly lowered, H&R 20mm rear and 12mm front DRs with 275/35 on OEM polished + forged 20's; S8 sway bars (see: rear bar and gen'l D3 bar info and front bar); tweaked 385mm front factory brake mod and matching rear brake mod; matching C6 A6 back headrests (better rear view: headrest tweak); owner installed AMI retrofit with part number details here.
Current #2: 2013 Q5 2.0T hybrid; Scuba blue w/ chestnut sport interior; Euro delivery 7/2013 (pictured at Ingolstadt)
Prior (each modded): 2000 C5 A6 4.2 & '96 C4 A6 2.8Q, both still w/ family; '85 C3 5000S 5 sp FWD; '73 C1 100LS

helpful cross reference to a C6 post with MMI and other TSB's that also cover D3 A8's.

MP4.2+6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 244738

It's the gearbox / transmission part.

My (used to be) 2011 2.0T were noticeably worse when it comes to downshift jerking compare to my 14 TDI.
SteveDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 228035

only seemed to notice a little jerking when in manual, and only on upshifting on my old 2010 3.0. seems real awkward on the tdi in auto mode - like i need to let up on the brake. oh well…

tks for the link.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 275876

I have a 3.0T and i just got the car last week.

I am actually feeling the slight jerks of down shifting when I am braking to stop. And I also have a slight jerk when i barely step on gas to go forward.

Is this just a regular thing for the q5 tranny?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 235141

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanyc42 View Post
I have a 3.0T and i just got the car last week.

I am actually feeling the slight jerks of down shifting when I am braking to stop. And I also have a slight jerk when i barely step on gas to go forward.

Is this just a regular thing for the q5 tranny?
there should be an update. let your dealer know.
AudiQ5sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member

I used a different key to my car today to go to work. And it seemed like the harsh shifting problem in low gears wasn't that noticeable as I would really feel it with the other key I've been using.

Is this possible? or am I just compromising it within myself?

I called the dealer to ask for the TSB and they said it goes by Vin#. I checked Audi USA website and punched in my VIN # and nothing popped out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 184703

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanyc42 View Post
I used a different key to my car today to go to work. And it seemed like the harsh shifting problem in low gears wasn't that noticeable as I would really feel it with the other key I've been using.

Is this possible? or am I just compromising it within myself?

I called the dealer to ask for the TSB and they said it goes by Vin#. I checked Audi USA website and punched in my VIN # and nothing popped out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
When you switch off the ignition or lock the vehicle, your personal settings for the following convenience features are stored and assigned to the remote control key:
Air conditioner
Central locking system
Windows
Memory function*
Parking aid*
Adaptive cruise control*
Active lane assist*
Side assist*
Drive select*

The stored settings are then recalled automatically the next time the vehicle is unlocked, the doors are opened or the ignition is switched on.

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
When you switch off the ignition or lock the vehicle, your personal settings for the following convenience features are stored and assigned to the remote control key:
Air conditioner
Central locking system
Windows
Memory function*
Parking aid*
Adaptive cruise control*
Active lane assist*
Side assist*
Drive select*

The stored settings are then recalled automatically the next time the vehicle is unlocked, the doors are opened or the ignition is switched on.
So it shouldn't make a difference for the harsh gear shifting right?

I called two dealers and they said there is no update showing for my VIN#. I guess I just have to take it into dealer to have them diagnose and update ( I believe its TSB-37-13-84)
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement