Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

calling all TDI's - brake issue??

Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calling all TDI's - brake issue??

1200 miles now. So I've noticed this slight surge if you will when slowing down. Happens at about 20mph and feels as if the brakes are giving a little extra grip then give a little then grip again causing me to feel kinda of a moving, stopping and moving feeling again. As if the brakes are gripping, releasing and gripping again. Upon further investigating also noticed an uptick in the rpm's at about the same time. Then wondered if it's the transmission downshifting a bit harshly, causing the gripping feeling. Does not seem to do this in S mode or manual, just regular auto. Anyone else notice this? Thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is the transmission down shifting. I feel that in my TDI as well but would not describe it as a harsh downshift.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Sounds familiar and the Achilles heel of the ZF 8 speeds

They have been working on the programming of these boxes since day one to try to smooth out the shifting--not just Audi but other manufacturers who use it too. Most commonly it is felt in the lower speed downshifts, but can be elsewhere. The 2014s should be already revved for their last TSB update across lots of later Audis.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the gearbox / transmission part.

My (used to be) 2011 2.0T were noticeably worse when it comes to downshift jerking compare to my 14 TDI.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

only seemed to notice a little jerking when in manual, and only on upshifting on my old 2010 3.0. seems real awkward on the tdi in auto mode - like i need to let up on the brake. oh well…

tks for the link.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 3.0T and i just got the car last week.

I am actually feeling the slight jerks of down shifting when I am braking to stop. And I also have a slight jerk when i barely step on gas to go forward.

Is this just a regular thing for the q5 tranny?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanyc42
I have a 3.0T and i just got the car last week.

I am actually feeling the slight jerks of down shifting when I am braking to stop. And I also have a slight jerk when i barely step on gas to go forward.

Is this just a regular thing for the q5 tranny?
there should be an update. let your dealer know.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used a different key to my car today to go to work. And it seemed like the harsh shifting problem in low gears wasn't that noticeable as I would really feel it with the other key I've been using.

Is this possible? or am I just compromising it within myself?

I called the dealer to ask for the TSB and they said it goes by Vin#. I checked Audi USA website and punched in my VIN # and nothing popped out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by hanyc42
I used a different key to my car today to go to work. And it seemed like the harsh shifting problem in low gears wasn't that noticeable as I would really feel it with the other key I've been using.

Is this possible? or am I just compromising it within myself?

I called the dealer to ask for the TSB and they said it goes by Vin#. I checked Audi USA website and punched in my VIN # and nothing popped out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
When you switch off the ignition or lock the vehicle, your personal settings for the following convenience features are stored and assigned to the remote control key:
Air conditioner
Central locking system
Windows
Memory function*
Parking aid*
Adaptive cruise control*
Active lane assist*
Side assist*
Drive select*

The stored settings are then recalled automatically the next time the vehicle is unlocked, the doors are opened or the ignition is switched on.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
When you switch off the ignition or lock the vehicle, your personal settings for the following convenience features are stored and assigned to the remote control key:
Air conditioner
Central locking system
Windows
Memory function*
Parking aid*
Adaptive cruise control*
Active lane assist*
Side assist*
Drive select*

The stored settings are then recalled automatically the next time the vehicle is unlocked, the doors are opened or the ignition is switched on.
So it shouldn't make a difference for the harsh gear shifting right?

I called two dealers and they said there is no update showing for my VIN#. I guess I just have to take it into dealer to have them diagnose and update ( I believe its TSB-37-13-84)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: calling all TDI's - brake issue??