Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 10:25 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

Car is shaking Dealer is clueless, Please help with a sugestion.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newmoon
Maybe check the crankcase pressure regulating valve. There is actually an "Emissions Service Action 17F9" because the diaphragm in the valve may tear. They replaced just the diaphragm in my 2012 A6 2.0T preemptively under warranty, but it actually did not seal properly and caused symptoms similar to what you experienced:

- engine very difficult to start
- stumbled very badly trying to maintain idle
- acceleration from a standstill was very poor and almost felt like it would stall, but mine never actually stalled
- my check engine light did come on after 1 day

So the dealer had to replace the whole crankcase pressure regulating valve assembly and the problem was resolved.

The diaphragm is supposed to close most of the way when the intake manifold vacuum is high, like at idle. If it doesn't close properly, then excessive unmetered blow-by gases will be drawn into the intake causing a lean mixture and misfires.
Thanks newmoon,
I was just reading about PCV on this forum and from what I understood is that people are saying that when their PCV goes bad, car is in that state until its replaced.

Anyway, I just ordered new OEM spark plags and I'm going to replace it before I take it back to them ( they wanted almost $400 to do the swap and I just paid $40 and it will take me 15 minutes. lol) so they don't blame it on me and I'm going to insist that they check/replace PCV.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats too much troubles dude, i would have sold that junk after all these repeated dealer visited.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Audi of America are often clueless and useless, but sometimes they actually solve problems. I'd call them up, start an incident number with them, and follow it up with an email to the person you speak with, so that they have a chance to read and correct any mistakes in their hearing.

Once you have two dealers involved, and ongoing problems that neither can solve, even with warranty coverages and charges...

And I truly have no idea if flatbedding an AWD is going to terminally upset the drivetrain. I'd check the manual on that one, and check again while you're on the phone with Audi.

When my last car blew a head gasket I got the thrill of riding almost two hours with the tow driver, after it was on the truck. And he was on the cell phone with another driver from their company, trying to explain the correct way to hook up some model of car that the other driver had never hooked up to before. So yes, even "professional" tow drivers sometimes screw up a tow job.

If you get nowhere with Audi's help...it might be time to bail out of the car, unless you can find someone who really knows what they are doing.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

If you're a VCDS user, I highly suggest you take your first post along with a complete Auto-Scan of the vehicle and go post it in the Car Repair section of the Ross-Tech forums. You will most likely get some really solid advice there.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I once picked up a car from a Very Highly Qualified car dealer who had changed my timing belt, only to find it running as if on only two cylinders. Very rough. Their answer was that it absolutely was a bad TPS sensor, coincidental, which I decided to change myself. Ordered new part and it was a *tch working on a hot August day to access and replace. Didn't help at all, as I suspected.

Turned out the ace mechanic had ignored the warnings that the spark plugs threads were very parsimoniously treated with Never Seize, and he'd managed to totally foul the points on two of them.

Yeah, that'll take out two cylinders fast. One rag later...and the car was humming like a clock again.

Of course, "check the spark plugs for conductive fouling" is just not in the diagnostics tree for most major issues. (sigh)

I'd suspect this problem also will come down to "something simple, stupid" that also is just not on the diagnostic tree from Audi.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by igorek24
Sorry, it is 2.0.
So it is not a 2010?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds almost like a broken IM flap though can't imagine why neither dealer would have detected it if it were. Check if the IM flap popped out when the car is shaking. If it is, push it back in and the stuttering should temporarily stop until you step hard on the throttle and it pops out again. Had this issue on my previous a4 2.0. Poll: How many have broken an intake manifold? (everyone please vote!)

Last edited by userbbc; 02-17-2016 at 11:46 PM.