Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

100 000Km

Old 10-09-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100 000Km

Hello,

This week my 3.2 Premium Plus Q5 will reach 100 000Km (62000 miles). I think it is time to look back on my first experience with Audi.

I received it on march 13th 2010 so it means I used it at a rate of around 75 km (47 miles) per day.

During that period, here are the issues I had with my car:

Rear view mirror dead on arrival (when I took possession of the car)
Water pump exploded.
Had the two front resonator replaced because of unusual vibration.
Fuel system sensor replaced (engine light came up).
Carbon deposit removal.
Creaking roof panel.

All fixed and covered under warranty

The roof panel, still making sure I know it is there however..

I also had other small issues but mainly caused by the (imcompetent) dealer. (unplugged items during maintenance. Cabin filter falling down. etc...)

I did the recommended maintenance and change the brakes and summer tires once.

Am I satisfied with the releability? Yes, I am really happy. It required less repair than my previous american (obviously!!!) and japanese (suprisignly!!!) cars and SUVs.

How the car feel after 100 000Km? As good as new! I am still amazed by it. I owned several other new cars and they all felt old after a year.

Would I buy another one? Yes... But... Knowing that the next generation will come from Mexico... I will probably wait to see how that turns out.

Cheers!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow I would actually say you've had pretty bad luck with your Q5 and I'm surprised you are still happy with its reliability. I've never had more than 1 thing break on any of the previous cars I've had (and so far nothing on the Q5) so I have a very low tolerance when it comes to things breaking. I drove my last car for 7 years (a Saab) and it required nothing but fluid changes, 1 set of tires and 1 set of brakes.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parsec
Wow I would actually say you've had pretty bad luck with your Q5 and I'm surprised you are still happy with its reliability. I've never had more than 1 thing break on any of the previous cars I've had (and so far nothing on the Q5) so I have a very low tolerance when it comes to things breaking. I drove my last car for 7 years (a Saab) and it required nothing but fluid changes, 1 set of tires and 1 set of brakes.
I thought that sounded like a lot too. I think I would consider something different for my next vehicle.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

You never owned a Dodge Caravan apparently...
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Good one. I know what you're talking about. I did have a Plymouth Voyager(?) as a company car back in the day.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've driven one for 9 years, 140000km (87500miles) and had the followings.
- two times brake changes
- two times battery changes (one was defective.)
- one time tire change
and oils, filters and lubs....

I think it was not that bad.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5White13
I've driven one for 9 years, 140000km (87500miles) and had the followings.
- two times brake changes
- two times battery changes (one was defective.)
- one time tire change
and oils, filters and lubs....

I think it was not that bad.
Just to put it into perspective.

I had the following parts replaced on my brand new 2002 Dodge Caravan "Sport": injection computer, rear wiper motor, driver window motor, hood and tailgate (rust perforation), Front suspension (shock absorbers and link kit) and finally the whole transmission... All under 50 000Km...
Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would also say that is quite a bit of things. I had a '07 Mazda 3 before this one and all I ever had was a squeek in the suspension (bushings, but it took them a very long time to fix it), MAF wire broken which was my fault with the cold air intake, and the steering rack fail (blew a seal - replaced it myself with one from an auto wrecker so it only cost me $100). This was in 70,000km. New owner is my cousin and it now has over 80,000km without any other problems.

So far I can't say what the previous owner did to my Audi and I only have 4,000km on it (bought it as a write-off and fixed it myself). The interior is actually pretty well made if I can take the entire thing apart (including the dashboard) and put it all back together without any squeaks or rattles. The only thing I had to do was change the vibration dampener on the engine (crankshaft pulley) but it was bent from the accident and I knew when I rebuilt it but just kept putting it off.

The carbon issue would probably have really put me off from getting another Audi unless its a proven engine that doesn't have that problem (I have the 2.0T not the 3.2)
Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just to put it into perspective.

I had the following parts replaced on my brand new 2002 Dodge Caravan "Sport": injection computer, rear wiper motor, driver window motor, hood and tailgate (rust perforation), Front suspension (shock absorbers and link kit) and finally the whole transmission... All under 50 000Km...
Wow you seem to have a lot of bad luck with cars... I'm sorry! My family had a Plymouth Grand Voyager when I was growing up. They drove it for about 10 years and 100k miles with only basic maintenance. The transmission died out of the blue and they donated it to charity.