Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Old 08-26-2015, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven

Finally, since this is being used as a $10 shared plan device, there is little chance that data usage in the car would exceed that of a tablet and no chance that the overall pool of data could be exceeded (without paying for more). So, AT&T woud not be bearing the burden with gobs of extra data usage.
Given you can't add an extra SIM to an unlimited data plan, only the user would be bearing the burden of using gobs of extra data by going over their monthly allotment or having to buy a more expensive plan with additional data.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Given you can't add an extra SIM to an unlimited data plan,"
And the cellcos all love any excuse to kill the old unlimited plans, even while they find news one to market.
A car obviously isn't a tablet, they might decide to bill it as a computer. I've given up trying to understand their logic, since the days when I bought a "PDAphone" (A Palm Treo) and then they insisted it was a smartphone--even though their own web site AND the packaging all never called it that. Of course, the smartphone rate was literally double.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redd
"Given you can't add an extra SIM to an unlimited data plan,"
And the cellcos all love any excuse to kill the old unlimited plans, even while they find news one to market.
A car obviously isn't a tablet, they might decide to bill it as a computer. I've given up trying to understand their logic, since the days when I bought a "PDAphone" (A Palm Treo) and then they insisted it was a smartphone--even though their own web site AND the packaging all never called it that. Of course, the smartphone rate was literally double.
When you get old like me, you may find that it's easier to simplify, and avoid these annoying, aggravating issues with electronics, carriers, manufacturers etc.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"When you get old like me, you may find that it's easier to simplify, and avoid these annoying, aggravating issues with electronics, carriers, manufacturers etc. "

When you have no indoor plumbing and no electric gizmos, you never need to call a repairman on a holiday weekend. Well, of course, there was that one December when we had to call the chimneysweep after owls got to nesting the chimney, but I mean, how often does THAT happen?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx for everyone's input. I am on same boat and would not mind data for music and google map.
Has anyone tried one of the plans for multiple phones where they share data, and then using one of the sims for the Audi?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just insert the Truphone sim card and follow directions to change the connection settings in the MMI:

APN: Truphone.com
Username: blank (might need a space if it won't accept a blank)
Password: blank
Where can you access this data? I have a new sim from t-mobile and having difficulty installing it. I'm using the 200mb of free data a month with t-mobile, well trying to.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

You could try this in the Telephone data settings:

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
Username: leave blank or just a space
PW: leave blank

It's possible the free 200MB from T-Mobile sim will not work in the car as the promotion is offered and designed for tablets. It all depends on the IMEI registration in T-Mobile's directory of qualifying devices.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could try this in the Telephone data settings:

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
Username: leave blank or just a space
PW: leave blank

It's possible the free 200MB from T-Mobile sim will not work in the car as the promotion is offered and designed for tablets. It all depends on the IMEI registration in T-Mobile's directory of qualifying devices.
I'll give it a shot, thanks!
I haven't actually given the IMEI number to anyone, maybe I need to call T-Mobile back and add that, ha!
Old 10-03-2015, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
I'll give it a shot, thanks!
I haven't actually given the IMEI number to anyone, maybe I need to call T-Mobile back and add that, ha!
Not sure but I think they can pick it up when the car tries to connect to the T-Mobile mother ship.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got to be kidding me right! This has got to be a bad dream or something the 2016 Q5 SQ5 don't have LTE support only 3G WTF. I read the AT&T announcement a few months back and presumed that since the vehicle already had 3G that it would be upgraded to LTE in 2016 after all it's mentioned in connected vehicles. I checked order guide to claims LTE support but are you sure this is a mistake from Audi "Truth and Engineering" department. I'm already debating canceling my order due the bait and switch with 2016 leather door inserts now your telling me the $4000 MMI NAV junk is still operating on a lower band 3G signal...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect