Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Collision

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Bob-
I agree with you, as a practical matter. I mean, anyone can pick up a set of oil paints just like Michaelangelo used (or the pigments he ground to make up his own really) but there are very few who can really counterfeit the Mona Lisa.(G)

Electrostatic painting isn't so esoteric anymore, since it is one way that any shop with a good paint spray both will be containing overspray and being EPA-compliant in the US. Ain't cheap, but you can find shops doing it that way.

Years ago someone told me that if you want to find a good body shop, find out who your local Rolls Royce dealer uses for body work. At least back then, they were still doing hot lead, not bondo, for repairs, and if a shop was bothering to still do that, they were also usually taking extreme care with the rest of the job. (Try to find one today, right?)

Given all the variables (and the folks at Metal Flake, the real stuff, will readily concede that matching a heavy metalflake job is damn near impossible) it isn't impossible to get a match, but it may well be much faster, simpler, cheaper, to feather in, or repaint an entire "side".

I'll bet you can play golf. I'll bet you can't play it like Tiger Woods. But I have no idea how well he can use a paint spray gun.(G)
Old 02-29-2016, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a similar damage

You must have gotten it fixed by now but thought will share for someone who stumbles on this thread in future.

I had a similar damage few days back when someone brushed my car in parking lot. Got it repaired at Audi Dealer (University Audi Seattle). Total cost came down to around $2300. Damage was to the bumper and it is a replica of the damage to your car. They replaced the bumper, black part around fog light, and the lower lip (one that is attached below bumper).

I filed a claim with State Farm. Total out of pocket expense came to $300 (have $1000 deductible and got a refund back for $700 after reporting it to Police - State Farm said it is something to do with uninsured driver).