Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Considering a '15 Q5 TDI…couple of ??s

Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 2014 Q5 TDI and am average 29mpg with a mix of 70% freeway and 30% town. The TDI is amazing. No brainer to go with the TDI! My only complaint might be that it sometimes shifts a little hard in low gears around town when trying to find the right gear. I live in a small town that has a lot of stop signs and during stop and go traffic it sometimes is trying to find the right gear. Once the car hits 10mph or higher its smooth as butter!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 14 with 25k miles in 10 months. I have had ZERO issues with my car. Daytona grey, s line etc. Only goes to the dealer for audi care. I primarily use shell. There's a spot in the manual that tells you which stations you should fuel up with. Called top tier. I will keep this car for 10 years, at least.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
Hi all, I am looking at replacing my current car ('06 Lexus IS350) with a Q5 TDI.

Wondering a few things..

What kind of real world MPG are you getting with the TDI?
Always been a Japanese car guy, so going German has be a bit hesitant as they have reputation of being overly engineered, not so reliable, and very expensive to fix…Any honest feed back on the reliability/repair costs?

The Lexus isn't cheap to get fixed (esp at the Lexus dealer) but repairs are pretty infrequent…

How is the handling, acceleration, driving dynamics of the TDI?
I don't watch the mileage, I go by what the tach says. I just fill up and drive. It runs well. I have warranty till 100k miles and audi care. So I'm not concerned about what may happen. I will then get audi care plus, more than likely.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can't speak for the 2015 but my 2014 gets great mileage - see sig - great power and smooth effortless acceleration. I came from Toyota/Lexus vehicles in the family, so far no issues at all with either the A3TDI or the Q5TDI
Old 11-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't want to oversell it but I hear near universally positive things from Q5 TDI owners. I have one and love the thing. I will never buy a non-diesel SUV again, it's just a perfect engine for the vehicle. Fast, fun to drive, and mpg that clobbers the competition. The only real hiccup is that you have to be mindful about buying quality diesel from reputable stations, and many here will advocate adding cetane. Also, I've noticed that it does take longer to heat up the car's interior in the wintertime. Otherwise it's just a fantastic machine. On long highway trips I tend to get mid to high 30s, calculated by hand.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

The TDI is an awesome vehicle, and I love mine more and more everyday. Just last week I went from one side of Los Angeles to the other then back again and the fuel gauge didn't even move (Disclaimer: I was in the carpool lane). I find that it has the best of both worlds. Power when you need it and fuel economy when you want it on long trips. I completely recommend it to anyone. I also haven't had any issues and I've got about 6-7k and I've owned it about 6 months .
Old 11-25-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

In Europe the SQ5 is a twin turbo TDI. Audi has something like 8 TDI victories in the 24 hours of le mans fielding 3 car teams... There have been retirements, but not a single one of them was due to engine. When you drive the Q5 TDI especially with diesel that it is happy with, it doesn't behave like a $50K vehicle.. It feels like a power unit fit for a $100K vehicle. All that racing expertise has clearly bled down to the road going engine.

From a traffic light, you can take off and leave most ordinary traffic behind without ever revving above 2000 rpms, you don't even feel it working and before you know it you are in illegal territory. I also drove it on the autobahn with 4 miles on the clock, straight out from where it was built. You don't even notice anything until you are almost at 100 mph....

It is in my mind, the stand out engine from the entire range.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2014- had it for over a year with 18K miles- real world avg of about 29-30. Averaged 35 driving back to Iowa from the F1 race in Austin though we had a tailwind, we were cruising 75-80 most of the way.
Just drove from Iowa to AZ and averaged around 32 for the trip. Love the torque, and handling pretty damned good for a SUV (would think Macan only one out there any better).
Old 11-25-2014, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2015 TDI. I've had it for just over a month now, so I've not even had to refill the tank yet. So far, I agree with all the positive comments other TDI owners have posted in this thread. The gobs of low-end torque is just pure awesomeness. This is my first Audi and my first diesel, and I am, in a word . . . SMITTEN!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

We have the 2015 TDI. By far the most incredible car/engine I have driven. Routinely getting 34,35+ on interstate trips. The first time I applied a little pedal pressure on the interstate, my wife and I looked at each other with that WOW look. You will hit 85 without any sensation of speed, and quickly. It has incredible acceleration at highway speed. We simply love to drive this car. Best balance with mileage and power of any car I have driven.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering a '15 Q5 TDI…couple of ??s