Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Considering installing a oil drain plug access door

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering installing a oil drain plug access door

I bought a new Q5 and according to a you tube video I saw, it is necessary to drop the undercarriage plastic to get to the oil drain plug. I am considering installing an access window in order to do the oil change a lot quicker.
My 3 series BMW's had such access flaps and they worked well.
I would cut a small square in the under panel directly below the drain plug install a piece of stainless piano hinge and a rotating panel lock. I might even go to a wrecking yard and cut one of the flaps out of a BMW panel and install.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sir,

Sounds interesting....curious to find out how it turns out.

Can you post the Utube video or PM it to me...so I can see it and possible assist.

V/r
Dan
Old 10-07-2015, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I would get a suction pump and remove the oil same as most dealers do. Some say you can remove more old oil that way as well. Is the filter accessible from the top on the 3.0's same as the 2.0T's?
On the older EA113 2.0T's no such option because you need to access and drain the cartridge filter from below.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Agree............

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
I would get a suction pump and remove the oil same as most dealers do. Some say you can remove more old oil that way as well. Is the filter accessible from the top on the 3.0's same as the 2.0T's?
On the older EA113 2.0T's no such option because you need to access and drain the cartridge filter from below.
I sucked my oil out (2.0T) and then removed the drain plug just to check how well I did and no additional oil came out of the drain plug hole. Thus, no need to crawl under the car and do all that work.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, I'm extracting as well on all vehicles and engines. The extractor I have basically sucks the pan dry. I'm getting more oil out that a conventional drain process and need to have a bit more when I refill. It's clean and easy when everything is done from above.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed on the oil extractor idea. That will be more convenient than a drain plug access door and just as effective.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Part of an oil change is inspecting the underside of the engine for leaks, etc. By either using an extractor or an access door, you generally don't get to have a good look at the underside of the engine and the other components around there such as hoses, steering, drive shafts, etc. That to me alone is worth dropping the under body cover to get a good look at the all the bits and pieces.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll leave all of that to the maintenance dept!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are missing the point, the oil change is your annual maintenance. At least here in the US. If you don't bother to remove the belly pan to inspect for issues, how are you going to raise the issues to the dealer and have them taken care of during the warranty period.

Is your strategy to wait until you have a puddle on the garage floor from leaks or when you break down on the side of the road. I prefer neither of those scenarios.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by hilld
Part of an oil change is inspecting the underside of the engine for leaks, etc. By either using an extractor or an access door, you generally don't get to have a good look at the underside of the engine and the other components around there such as hoses, steering, drive shafts, etc. That to me alone is worth dropping the under body cover to get a good look at the all the bits and pieces.
The dealer sucks the oil out, they don't drop the belly pan!

They really don't inspect anything, they wait until it fails...........

I have both a 2014 Q5 and a 2014 Honda CRV and that small oil change trap door on the CRV belly pan is nice and quick.

Quick Reply: Considering installing a oil drain plug access door