Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dipstick Madness!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dipstick Madness!

When I changed the oil & filter in my Q5 Hybrid today, I tried to put in the nominal 4.9 qts based on the marks on the side of the 5.1 qt bottle, and I believe I came pretty close. I drove the vehicle around until the engine got warm, and when I checked the electronic oil gauge it read all the way to MAX. I then went home & let the vehicle sit for a couple of hours, then stuck my dipstick in & found the oil level above the MAX label on the dipstick.

So now I'm puzzled. I previously thought the full level on the dipstick was at the first bend below the MAX mark. That doesn't appear to be correct based on today's information.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Comparing visually

Since you and I have the same Hybrid, and as I recall the same 2.0T dipstick from the dealer, here is a picture of mine from just now. Display reads full as of the other day. Car was shut down from a leisurely freeway drive about an hour before the picture. Dealer last changed oil at the 5K interval, and it has another 5K miles since. Per your post, I'm seeing here it is reading a little above the upper bend. Picture speaks for itself. Since you filled it by measurement, it sounds like we are both seeing the same thing against a presumably accurate/measured fill quantity--assuming that is that you pulled the drain plug rather than the suction pump approach some are going with these days.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-26-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Since you and I have the same Hybrid, and as I recall the same 2.0T dipstick from the dealer, here is a picture of mine from just now. Display reads full as of the other day. Car was shut down from a leisurely freeway drive about an hour before the picture. Dealer last changed oil at the 5K interval, and it has another 5K miles since. Per your post, I'm seeing here it is reading a little above the upper bend. Picture speaks for itself. Since you filled it by measurement, it sounds like we are both seeing the same thing against a presumably accurate/measured fill quantity--assuming that is that you pulled the drain plug rather than the suction pump approach some are going with these days.
In my case, the oil covers the word "MAX" plus a bit beyond. I did remove the drain plug for a half-hour or so while I went to get crush gaskets.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The variation between the levels indicated by the dipstick and the dash display are insignificant.

Think of what is going on in the engine. As long as the oil pump can suck oil and distribute it to the journals, it is fine. The oil level has to be very low for the oil pump to lose suction.

I would trust the level indicated on the dipstick far more than the electronic gauge.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi
In my case, the oil covers the word "MAX" plus a bit beyond. I did remove the drain plug for a half-hour or so while I went to get crush gaskets.
To make sure you can buy this: Test tool for oil level display T40178

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-ELECTRO...-/360388477135

In attached PDF you how to be used
Attached Files
Old 03-27-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi
I then went home & let the vehicle sit for a couple of hours, then stuck my dipstick in & found the oil level above the MAX label on the dipstick.
Engine oil is checked with a hot engine following a 2 minute shutdown.

See Spijun's bulletin if you need further clarification.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Agreed, but the relevant issue here would be overfill

Since the potential issue here is overfill, the relevant risks are not that the oil pump suction will run dry (or that some cooling capacity carried in the spec'ed oil volume will be lost), but rather that oil level inside the pan could be high enough that the crankshaft and lower connecting rod journals could hit the standing oil in the pan as it spins. If that happens, besides reduced performance the oil can foam up badly and the vapor system get overwhelmed.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

" Agreed, but the relevant issue here would be overfill "

If this happens you will get the following message on DIS or MMI: "Please reduce oil level" or "too high oil level"
Message on MMI is saying we need to reduce the oil level.

or you can get this message if the sensor is faulty:

Defective oil level and oil temperature sender (yellow symbol) with notes of "Sensor defect" (defective sensor)

Name:  ScreenShot446_zps1a87afa7.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  40.1 KB

Last edited by spijun; 03-27-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the replies. I am most concerned about over-filling the crankcase, so I took care in refilling after this oil change.

Ironic story: after the 5K service, I used my dipstick and found the oil level way up above the MAX mark. I went back to the dealership and suggested that they had over-filled the crankcase. They checked it and agreed with me, so they pulled out about a half-quart of oil. After that, my dipstick read the oil level at the top of the dimpled area below the MAX mark. I checked my dipstick against their shop-adjustable dipstick to verify that it was correct.

So now after my oil change, the oil is practically as high on the dipstick as at the 5K service and I'm sure the right amount of oil is in there. Why didn't the dealership just tell me that what I was seeing on my dipstick was OK?

Update: came home with engine fully warmed up, shut off vehicle & waited 3 minutes, then put in dipstick. Result: I see the same oil level as I saw after an overnight period.

Last edited by Steppenaudi; 03-28-2014 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Update