Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 10:21 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Cost of 55k service (and others)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by john1r
With my 15 year old Nissan I have no problem going to any local shop. However, with my Audi and it's 'complex' nature, I am generally not comfortable going anywhere else. There are so many things that are checked (which of course I agree it sucks to pay a lot of money for), but I just can't see a local shop knowing what to do/where to find certain things (even something as simple as checking the wiper, they won't know to go into the MMI and turn it into the service position). I could be wrong and maybe they do know all of this, I just prefer to let someone who only works on Audis work on my car. When it gets to be 10 years old or whatnot I might change my tune, but I just feel that it's too new right now...

In general have you guys found that non-Audi places have no problem with your Audis?

Although I suppose even a local shop could do this one: "Horn - Check Function"
You make a good point, but then you pay..............

Do you really think that the dealer techs "actually" perform all the 55K service checks, I know they don't.

I only went to the dealer one time for the 5K service because I wanted the electric steering assist update, I didn't even let them rotate the tires then as they usually over torque the wheel bolts. My Q5 runs just fine, I don't need anymore program updates, etc. My 2014 Q5 is 2.5 years old and the dealer will never see me again unless there is a major warranty problem.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
To buy those listed above OEM Audi parts costs about $125. For me to change those items will take about 1-1.5 hours (FREE). This is why many of us around here perform our own maintenance.

To pay $800 for such a low level service would hurt my heart!

Find a good indy shop to do it at a cheaper price.
Agree-the air filter is a little time-consuming to replace, I am not sure how long it would take to replace the spark plugs but at least the access to the spark plugs is good/easy.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
You make a good point, but then you pay..............

Do you really think that the dealer techs "actually" perform all the 55K service checks, I know they don't.

I only went to the dealer one time for the 5K service because I wanted the electric steering assist update, I didn't even let them rotate the tires then as they usually over torque the wheel bolts. My Q5 runs just fine, I don't need anymore program updates, etc. My 2014 Q5 is 2.5 years old and the dealer will never see me again unless there is a major warranty problem.
I have similar experience (not only from Audi dealer but from Volvo, Honda, LR) - many times something was not tightened up, or not corrected, or "not found" requiring me to come back to the dealer...
My Audi dealer wants $900 for rear brakes service ("we always replace pads and rotors") - what a rip-off. EVen retail pricing OEM pads and rotors cost $300 and I am sure the dealer pays less...