Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

CPO brake rotor question on 2013 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO brake rotor question on 2013 Q5

Picking up a Q5 this weekend from a dealer in another city. I looked at their CPO report and they crossed out the rotor thickness. They had 7 for the brake pad thickness for all 4 corners.

I asked the salesman to get the rotor thickness but he said that if the pads are ok they don't measure the rotors - but he will check with the service guy.

First thing I will do when I get the car will be to go to my mechanic to get a measurement for all 4 pads and rotors.

Here is the rear rotor

My question is for previous CPO buyers - were the brake measurements all filled in?
Old 05-04-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a copy of the Audi CPO Checklist. Under item 6.5 - Brakes, it says:
BRAKE PAD AND ROTOR REQUIREMENTS:
Must have 50% of friction material remaining. Please refer to service manual on ELSA Web for pad and rotor measurements as well as the minimum allowed wear and replacement specifications. Record measurement results for brake pads and rotors.
It looks like your Audi dealer should log the measurements of the CPO Q5's rotors which they didn't for some reason.

Last edited by plat27265; 05-04-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by plat27265
I have a copy of the Audi CPO Checklist. Under item 6.5 - Brakes, it says:

It looks like your Audi dealer should log the measurements of the CPO Q5's rotors which they didn't for some reason.
They seem reluctant to enter that information on the rotors, when I pick it up I'll insist they enter it, but if they don't it won't break the deal since this car otherwise is what we want at a great price.

I'll contact Audi directly if the rotors are belowe spec.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

So, cut to the nub of it. The rotors are likely well worn but within spec. Just back up to the miles for your general answer. You don't say what those are, but if 35-50K, likely so/well worn. And pads were then already changed, at least in front. CPO says pads have to be 50%+ on the checklist, but it doesn't say that about rotors; just within spec.

The nuance here is you can often do two sets of pads per rotor change if you don't get a sales job at first pad change; this one is likely one pad change deep but no rotor change. If it is really young (10K type miles), then little to worry about on rotors. They look a lot more used than that though from photo, and that's the back that typically wear better than front. Thus if you are stepping in at a 35-50K type miles point, assume you will need at least new front rotors at next pad change absent any more info. Measurements would obviously tell you the real answer. And yes, on my recent 3200 mile 2015 S8 CPO both pads and rotor info were filled in on the inspection way well before I bought it, and no surprise very little wear.

BTW, visually if you just want to guesstimate it when looking at a used car on site, look at the wear lip on the outer edge. Most rotors these days allow a max of about 2mm of wear, and really big (thick) ones beyond typical Q5 applications, a little more. See specs of course for your exact model, motor, etc. Thus if the outer lip is approaching solid mm high relative to worn face on the outer side, they are well worn.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-04-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
So, cut to the nub of it. The rotors are likely well worn but within spec. Just back up to the miles for your general answer. You don't say what those are, but if 35-50K, likely so/well worn. And pads were then already changed, at least in front. CPO says pads have to be 50%+ on the checklist, but it doesn't say that about rotors; just within spec.

The nuance here is you can often do two sets of pads per rotor change if you don't get a sales job at first pad change; this one is likely one pad change deep but no rotor change. If it is really young (10K type miles), then little to worry about on rotors. They look a lot more used than that though from photo, and that's the back that typically wear better than front. Thus if you are stepping in at a 35-50K type miles point, assume you will need at least new front rotors at next pad change absent any more info. Measurements would obviously tell you the real answer. And yes, on my recent 3200 mile 2015 S8 CPO both pads and rotor info were filled in on the inspection way well before I bought it, and no surprise very little wear.

BTW, visually if you just want to guesstimate it when looking at a used car on site, look at the wear lip on the outer edge. Most rotors these days allow a max of about 2mm of wear, and really big (thick) ones beyond typical Q5 applications, a little more. See specs of course for your exact model, motor, etc. Thus if the outer lip is approaching solid mm high relative to worn face on the outer side, they are well worn.
Thanks for your answer - it has 50k miles, I know about the CPO report from another poster who posted his report. It indicated the rotors were below spec and the selling dealer eventually agreed to replace them.

My problem is that they drew a line for that inspection and never bothered to measure the rotors.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the pictures and 50K miles I'd say the rotors are marginal and will need replaced for sure with next set of pads. I don't think its unresonable to have them measure and record the rotor thickness. If they refuse it seems to me they are hiding something and know they are below minimums. If it was me the first thing I'd do is get a cheap mic and measure them myself and not take the dealers word for it. For the money the dealers charge for a brake job might as well try and get the dealer to take care of the brakes before delivery.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Thunder, you should get a quote on replacing those parts and decide if you want to be told you need new brakes, etc. at your next service.