Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cracked fuel pump and Audi response PART II

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cracked fuel pump and Audi response PART II

Since the original thread was closed https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-lack-2903691/, I had to start a new one.

After the problem was fixed, and I had some free time, I revisited the thread and re-read the replies I got. On advice from MP4.2+6.0, I decided to look at the warranty booklet and discovered that the next page after standard warranty description says, "The State of New York adopted California warranty coverage..."

I then looked into the booklet that describes California warranty coverage and found out that the fuel pump is listed as a covered item until 7 year/70k miles!

I e-mailed the Audi of NA- I told them about my initial phone call and apparent lack of interest or lack of knowledge of the representative I spoke to when I called them. A few days later, I received a phone call from another representative. This time, the representative took her time, asked me all the questions and demonstrated genuine interest to what happened.
The second representative addressed all my concerns and asked me to e-mail her my receipts. A few days later, I received another phone call from the same representative who stated that the Audi of NA will reimburse my expenses.

I am very happy that I re-read all the responses and I want to apologize to MP4.2+6.0 - if not for his reply, I would not discover that the pump was covered for 7 years.
I still cannot understand how it is possible that the first representative I spoke to was not aware of the additional coverage on the fuel system (and some other systems). However, I know now that Audi does stand behind their vehicles- you just need to read the small print in the warranty booklet.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Glad to hear where you are with this. I didn't know about the Calif warranty covering fuel pump. That is helpful, especially for my TDI.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:26 AM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update.

Glad this ended on a positive note.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
Since the original thread was closed https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-lack-2903691/, I had to start a new one.

After the problem was fixed, and I had some free time, I revisited the thread and re-read the replies I got. On advice from MP4.2+6.0, I decided to look at the warranty booklet and discovered that the next page after standard warranty description says, "The State of New York adopted California warranty coverage..."

I'm glad it worked out for you - it turned out MP4's advice was useful after all. Listening instead of arguing is always more rewarding.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Or, AoA is afraid that the NYS AG's office might be upset to find out that AoA was failing to honor their written warranty terms. Ooops.

Might be worth dropping them a line (after you cash the check) just in case AoA has been intentionally playing that game on other NYS customers.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

MP4.2+6.0 is a smart dude. Glad you worked things out.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Yes, glad it worked out. There are some good things in "fine print," and nuanced understanding of how they can pay.

The dealers and most everybody seem pretty ignorant about the CA related emissions warranty provisions, even here in CA. Not surprised you have to walk them through it carefully. Call center scripts likely have nothing about it either.

If you followed my TDI related posts, the "CARB" states cover a lot of geography. Not just CA, but Pacific NW, AZ, NM and the Northeast generally. Thus, where you are, as you found out. A fair number of things roll up into the "covered list." Per another reply, yes the TDI fuel pump too. I don't think it applies to any Q5 variant (including Hybrid), but Audi has even classed some with what you think of as conventional gas motors as PZEV. Some of the gas prior gen A3's were examples. Why those little badges on the back of a lot of newer Subaru's actually mean something besides feel good stuff. Those have amazingly longs emissions warranties--out to 150K, 15 years.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-27-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Or, AoA is afraid that the NYS AG's office might be upset to find out that AoA was failing to honor their written warranty terms. Ooops.

Might be worth dropping them a line (after you cash the check) just in case AoA has been intentionally playing that game on other NYS customers.
Hi Redd,

Somehow, I do not feel that the first response I got was intentional denial of services. I believe it demonstrated the lack of interest and knowledge of the representative I spoke to.
I was and I am still surprised by the lack of professionalism in the first response I got- after all, the AoA's customer service located in the USA, not somewhere half-way around the world.

P.S.
A friend had a Nissan Altima - it had only 25k miles, but was about 4 y.old when the driver's side airbag went bad. He took it to two different dealerships and was told both times he would have to pay for the replacement ($1500.00). He re-read the warranty and found out the SRS system is covered for 6 years/60K miles (standard Nissan warranty is 3 years/3600 miles). Did not pay a penny.