Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Custom Vented "S-Line" Sub Box

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom Vented "S-Line" Sub Box (new pix added)

The amp won't arrive till Monday so I won't have installed pix till later, but I wanted post a couple pix of what I will be installing in the back of my 2011 Q5 next week.

Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Punch P3 DVC 4-Ohm 12-Inch Sub
Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel Class D Amplifier

Sub is wired down to 2-Ohm so the AP will push 500 watts RMS which will mean I'm removing the donut sub and this should fill out the B&O System nicely.

I will post pix of the install. I'm still trying to decide how I want to do the amplifier. I had thought I'd hiding it in the left compartment but I'm worried about heat so I might just install it on the back of the sub-box.

Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Punch P3 DVC 4-Ohm 12-Inch

Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Punch P3 DVC 4-Ohm 12-Inch

Audi S-Line Badge (This is the grill mount emblem I bolted through the box)

Last edited by Stephen Charles Rea; 08-17-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks great! I'm looking forward to the install photos.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As will I!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rockford, solid subs.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did the dirty install last night so I could break in the sub and tune the system...once that's done (might take a few days I'll take it all out and do the proper install and hide the wires so it may be a few more days than expected to post more photos...work has been super crazy this week.

That said It's gonna need to be tuned down. the certified RMS on my AMP is 642 and even at 40% power and GAIN I'm hitting well over just north of 140 on the SPL meter. It's a massive amount of power for this Q5. even with the mid and high end range of the B&O system.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default speaker leads

Did you simply tap into the doughnut sub leads for the signal, or somewhere else?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
Did you simply tap into the doughnut sub leads for the signal, or somewhere else?

Yes I tapped the donut sub and have taken it out for now....(will put it back in when I sell the car or trade it later on. I am using a PAC Line out converter

LOC PRO Series 2-Channel Line Output Converter (LP3-2) and I just wired it mono-stereo
Old 08-15-2014, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've heard others say that it's best to take the leads from full range speakers, but with todays canbus type of processed signals, I dont think thete is a " full range" signal going to any of the speakers.
I like your approach....neat, clean, easy and you know you're getting a nice low signal. Is the sound low enough? Did you use the low pass adjustment on the amp, or are you still tuning?
BTW, I'm planning a similar install, but with a downfiring enclosure.

Originally Posted by Stephen Charles Rea
Yes I tapped the donut sub and have taken it out for now....(will put it back in when I sell the car or trade it later on. I am using a PAC Line out converter

LOC PRO Series 2-Channel Line Output Converter (LP3-2) and I just wired it mono-stereo
Old 08-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
I've heard others say that it's best to take the leads from full range speakers, but with todays canbus type of processed signals, I dont think thete is a " full range" signal going to any of the speakers.
I like your approach....neat, clean, easy and you know you're getting a nice low signal. Is the sound low enough? Did you use the low pass adjustment on the amp, or are you still tuning?
BTW, I'm planning a similar install, but with a downfiring enclosure.

I'm still tuning but I chose the Subwoofer out even though I'm using the crossover in the amp anyway because that subwoofer channel had the low end for sure and the PAC Line converter is rater to handle incoming 55 watts per channel so I wasn't worried about it over powering the input. THat said I also used the PAC to step the signal down a little more even, and I am still tuning. the idea is to mount the remote punch **** in the console somewhere and have it tuned to sound perfect with it at the lowest setting then when I wanna have a little fun I can twist the dial and have it hit HARD.

It's stupid loud though seriously.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you think you could fit the amp in the storage space in front of ( or in back of depending on your point of view) the spare? There's quite a bit of space there so you might prevent heat buildup. I'm looking at a different slightly more compact Rockford Fosgate amp and am pretty sure itll fit in there but I haven't mocked it up yet.
Gotta tell you I haven't had much luck finding somebody in the same mindset as I for this setup, so, youre kind of being my for lack of a better term....Guinea Pig! But I really appreciate it!
Last time I installed car stereo equipment was thirty years ago and as you may know...THINGS HAVE CHANGED!

Originally Posted by Stephen Charles Rea
I'm still tuning but I chose the Subwoofer out even though I'm using the crossover in the amp anyway because that subwoofer channel had the low end for sure and the PAC Line converter is rater to handle incoming 55 watts per channel so I wasn't worried about it over powering the input. THat said I also used the PAC to step the signal down a little more even, and I am still tuning. the idea is to mount the remote punch **** in the console somewhere and have it tuned to sound perfect with it at the lowest setting then when I wanna have a little fun I can twist the dial and have it hit HARD.

It's stupid loud though seriously.

Last edited by USAVAGEU; 08-15-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom Vented "S-Line" Sub Box