Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 268625
 
Stephen Charles Rea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN USA
Posts: 58
Default Custom Vented "S-Line" Sub Box (new pix added)

The amp won't arrive till Monday so I won't have installed pix till later, but I wanted post a couple pix of what I will be installing in the back of my 2011 Q5 next week.


Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Punch P3 DVC 4-Ohm 12-Inch Sub
Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel Class D Amplifier


Sub is wired down to 2-Ohm so the AP will push 500 watts RMS which will mean I'm removing the donut sub and this should fill out the B&O System nicely.



I will post pix of the install. I'm still trying to decide how I want to do the amplifier. I had thought I'd hiding it in the left compartment but I'm worried about heat so I might just install it on the back of the sub-box.

Click the image to open in full size.

Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Punch P3 DVC 4-Ohm 12-Inch


Click the image to open in full size.

Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Punch P3 DVC 4-Ohm 12-Inch


Click the image to open in full size.

Audi S-Line Badge (This is the grill mount emblem I bolted through the box)
__________________
.rev
Black 2011 Audi Q5 3.2 FSI S-Line

Last edited by Stephen Charles Rea; 08-17-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Stephen Charles Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 270283
 
Dustin Fennell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 189
Default

Looks great! I'm looking forward to the install photos.
__________________
----------------------
2014 SQ5 - Click here for pics
Phantom Black Pearl w/Black Magma Red Fine Nappa leather
Carbon Atlas inlay, 21" 5-double-spoke star design wheels
Mods: Xpel Clear Bra, Tint, Supercharged Badges, Audi Hitch, H11 Fogs in White, Full LED interior, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Paint Coating
Dustin Fennell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 281183
 
USAVAGEU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 123
Default

As will I!
USAVAGEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 235141
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 772
Default

rockford, solid subs.
AudiQ5sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 268625
 
Stephen Charles Rea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN USA
Posts: 58
Default

I did the dirty install last night so I could break in the sub and tune the system...once that's done (might take a few days I'll take it all out and do the proper install and hide the wires so it may be a few more days than expected to post more photos...work has been super crazy this week.

That said It's gonna need to be tuned down. the certified RMS on my AMP is 642 and even at 40% power and GAIN I'm hitting well over just north of 140 on the SPL meter. It's a massive amount of power for this Q5. even with the mid and high end range of the B&O system.
__________________
.rev
Black 2011 Audi Q5 3.2 FSI S-Line
Stephen Charles Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 281183
 
USAVAGEU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 123
Default speaker leads

Did you simply tap into the doughnut sub leads for the signal, or somewhere else?
USAVAGEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 268625
 
Stephen Charles Rea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN USA
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAVAGEU View Post
Did you simply tap into the doughnut sub leads for the signal, or somewhere else?

Yes I tapped the donut sub and have taken it out for now....(will put it back in when I sell the car or trade it later on. I am using a PAC Line out converter


LOC PRO Series 2-Channel Line Output Converter (LP3-2) and I just wired it mono-stereo
__________________
.rev
Black 2011 Audi Q5 3.2 FSI S-Line
Stephen Charles Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 281183
 
USAVAGEU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 123
Default

I've heard others say that it's best to take the leads from full range speakers, but with todays canbus type of processed signals, I dont think thete is a " full range" signal going to any of the speakers.
I like your approach....neat, clean, easy and you know you're getting a nice low signal. Is the sound low enough? Did you use the low pass adjustment on the amp, or are you still tuning?
BTW, I'm planning a similar install, but with a downfiring enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Charles Rea View Post
Yes I tapped the donut sub and have taken it out for now....(will put it back in when I sell the car or trade it later on. I am using a PAC Line out converter


LOC PRO Series 2-Channel Line Output Converter (LP3-2) and I just wired it mono-stereo
USAVAGEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 268625
 
Stephen Charles Rea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN USA
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAVAGEU View Post
I've heard others say that it's best to take the leads from full range speakers, but with todays canbus type of processed signals, I dont think thete is a " full range" signal going to any of the speakers.
I like your approach....neat, clean, easy and you know you're getting a nice low signal. Is the sound low enough? Did you use the low pass adjustment on the amp, or are you still tuning?
BTW, I'm planning a similar install, but with a downfiring enclosure.

I'm still tuning but I chose the Subwoofer out even though I'm using the crossover in the amp anyway because that subwoofer channel had the low end for sure and the PAC Line converter is rater to handle incoming 55 watts per channel so I wasn't worried about it over powering the input. THat said I also used the PAC to step the signal down a little more even, and I am still tuning. the idea is to mount the remote punch **** in the console somewhere and have it tuned to sound perfect with it at the lowest setting then when I wanna have a little fun I can twist the dial and have it hit HARD.


It's stupid loud though seriously.
__________________
.rev
Black 2011 Audi Q5 3.2 FSI S-Line
Stephen Charles Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 281183
 
USAVAGEU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 123
Default

Do you think you could fit the amp in the storage space in front of ( or in back of depending on your point of view) the spare? There's quite a bit of space there so you might prevent heat buildup. I'm looking at a different slightly more compact Rockford Fosgate amp and am pretty sure itll fit in there but I haven't mocked it up yet.
Gotta tell you I haven't had much luck finding somebody in the same mindset as I for this setup, so, youre kind of being my for lack of a better term....Guinea Pig! But I really appreciate it!
Last time I installed car stereo equipment was thirty years ago and as you may know...THINGS HAVE CHANGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Charles Rea View Post
I'm still tuning but I chose the Subwoofer out even though I'm using the crossover in the amp anyway because that subwoofer channel had the low end for sure and the PAC Line converter is rater to handle incoming 55 watts per channel so I wasn't worried about it over powering the input. THat said I also used the PAC to step the signal down a little more even, and I am still tuning. the idea is to mount the remote punch **** in the console somewhere and have it tuned to sound perfect with it at the lowest setting then when I wanna have a little fun I can twist the dial and have it hit HARD.


It's stupid loud though seriously.

Last edited by USAVAGEU; 08-15-2014 at 11:59 PM.
USAVAGEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community