Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dangerous Steering Failure 2014 Audi SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangerous Steering Failure 2014 Audi SQ5

Just wondering if anyone SQ5 owners have experienced the issue as stated by another owner below. I just had the same issue, and have come across others as well in Canada. It seems from others that the fix has been an entire steering assembly and control module replacement. I am not sure why Audi would not be aware and proactively fixing this problem. Having the vehicle lose its steering at high speeds is a recipe for a disaster. Perhaps more instances and some media coverage might get Audi's attention.

Cheers,
Nick

===========>
I had an unpleasant event with my 3 month old 3,300 km SQ5 yesterday and I'm posting this because I haven't found anything like it in threads and I would have liked to know that this could happen. Had this happened at higher speed this could have been dangerous, and advanced warning may help others.

On a cold Saturday morning (-21C) I warmed the SQ5 for 10 mins before packing the family and heading out. First kilometer was fine. After heading up a steep hill I made a stop, turned right, and the red steering wheel fault light came on with 3 warning beeps. The steering wheel became extremely stiff and could not turn enough to avoid a parked car in the opposite lane. Luckily there was little traffic and I was able to simply stop before hitting the car. I backed up and experimented with the steering wheel to realize it was barely steerable but only with a LOT of force. Under the red fault warning a message said to stop driving the car immediately. No kidding, had we been on an offramp at 100+ km/h this could have been a high velocity accident!

So the aim of this post is to warn people that if the electromechanical steering system fails while driving the steering wheel will become rock hard and barely responsive. Be ready to steer with all your strength... At the present time I'm not certain whether I still trust this car will keep the family safe.
==============>

Last edited by nickcdn; 01-01-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Originally Posted by nickcdn
So the aim of this post is to warn people that if the electromechanical steering system fails while driving the steering wheel will become rock hard and barely responsive.
That goes for just about any car with power steering these days. But a heavy SUV with big fat tires only makes matters worse.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My steering has been acting a little strange of late. It's been difficult to keep it on center without a lot of adjustments and when I do adjust it tends to over correct. Personally, I think electric steering is just a bad idea. Just more opportunity for problems compared to hydraulics and I think more opportunity for catastrophic type failures. I hope car manufacturers start going back to hydraulics.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I just had the same issue, ......

Cheers,
Nick
Nick, sorry to hear that but glad that you're unhurt. Was your's a low speed failure too? Have you heard of any at high speed? Steve
Old 01-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine was at lower speeds but still could have been dangerous. Loud beeps and steering going are not good at any speed really if you are not expecting.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My issue same as all the others. Complete steering wheel assembly with module being replaced. Not a good sign on a new vehicle.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by stash64
My steering has been acting a little strange of late. It's been difficult to keep it on center without a lot of adjustments and when I do adjust it tends to over correct. Personally, I think electric steering is just a bad idea. Just more opportunity for problems compared to hydraulics and I think more opportunity for catastrophic type failures. I hope car manufacturers start going back to hydraulics.
Disable DSR and this problem will be gone. I disabled mine first week I owned the car.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Disable DSR and this problem will be gone. I disabled mine first week I owned the car.
Sorry but what is DSR and how is it diabled?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear. My dad always told me he would rather take a trip in a car with 50,000 miles than a brand new one. Most new STUFF will fail right away. When I buy new electronics I always do a 30 "burn in". I won't shut it off for 30 days. If it is going to fail it will fail within that time frame. I think the same thing with cars. I have never had a major issue with a Audi (yet).
Old 01-02-2015, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry but what is DSR and how is it diabled?
Driver steering recommendation can be disabled with VAG-Com (VCDS).

Quick Reply: Dangerous Steering Failure 2014 Audi SQ5