Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dangerous Steering Failure 2014 Audi SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What does disabling DSR actually do to the steering?
Old 01-03-2015, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure. I've never had any issues with my steering.
Perhaps my sport-savvy dealership disabled it on delivery.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
I'm not sure. I've never had any issues with my steering.
Perhaps my sport-savvy dealership disabled it on delivery.
From what I briefly gathered it seems newer Audi's already have this disabled at the factory.

I would be surprised if disabling it fix my issue anyway, since this was out of the blue steering shutdown at 4,000km.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stash64
My steering has been acting a little strange of late. It's been difficult to keep it on center without a lot of adjustments and when I do adjust it tends to over correct. Personally, I think electric steering is just a bad idea. Just more opportunity for problems compared to hydraulics and I think more opportunity for catastrophic type failures. I hope car manufacturers start going back to hydraulics.
It's all about the implementation. I have a new F150 with electric steering and it works WAY better than our Q5's steering. It even compensates for crown in the road or side winds without having to steer corrections. It's awesome. If Ford can do it, Audi should be able to do it.

I'll have to say that I'm a little disappointed in Audi's execution with the 8 speed auto programming as well. It can be very un-smooth. A friend's X3 Bimmer with the same transmission (ZF) doesn't exhibit this problem.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree about the tyranny... I really hate it. It sours the whole Q5 driving experience for me. I will probably dump the Q5 in a year or two for something sportier and with the dual clutch tyranny. I still miss my A3 sportback.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob

I'll have to say that I'm a little disappointed in Audi's execution with the 8 speed auto programming as well. It can be very un-smooth. A friend's X3 Bimmer with the same transmission (ZF) doesn't exhibit this problem.
Nothing is perfect. I have been reading X3 forums lately and see the same complains about the 8 speed transmittion and funny some other similar to Audi like rattlings, especially related to the sun roof.
Another big complain there is about a really big lag, not even turbo lag but just the lag when you press the accelerator. Even with the twin turbo V6. I know exactly what they are describing because I had the same problem in my old Audi 2.8 V6.
Just saying, I really like new X3, but nothing is perfect.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Q5 stumbles now and then at low speed/low rpm situations. It's nothing serious, and I've adjusted to it, but it is there. I attribute it to some turbo lag and transmission programming. Once up to speed, things are smooth and quiet.

I've also adjusted to the steering which is a bit numb, but it does track nicely on the road.

Our BMW (2.0t) is much more linear with little, if any, lag (twin scroll turbo) and the experience is smooth in those low speed/rpm situations. Also electro mechanical, the steering is lighter with slightly more feel to it.

The car is over 500 lbs. lighter so there is more mass to get the Q5 moving. Overall, we like both vehicles in different ways.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Any steering system can fail. After two power steering hose failures (one from old age, another from a defect leading to an engine fire) I'd prefer manual rack & pinion myself but at 4000+ pounds I concede a reason for the power assist.

If the OP can find the original problem report, let that OP know these failures should be reported to the NHTSA (nhtsa.gov) in the US. If a pattern develops, they'll be able to take action. If it is just a random failure...these things happen.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Any steering system can fail. After two power steering hose failures (one from old age, another from a defect leading to an engine fire) I'd prefer manual rack & pinion myself but at 4000+ pounds I concede a reason for the power assist.

If the OP can find the original problem report, let that OP know these failures should be reported to the NHTSA (nhtsa.gov) in the US. If a pattern develops, they'll be able to take action. If it is just a random failure...these things happen.
3 guys all in same week in Western Canada..who post about it..I doubt it is random.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Didn't and don't see "three" "one week" or Western Canada mentioned anyplace. Not my job to be telepathic. If you haven't got any analog to our NHTSA up there, I could make a phone call and ask about moving up the invasion though.

Oh, wait, forget, you're not supposed to have advance notice about that.(G)

Quick Reply: Dangerous Steering Failure 2014 Audi SQ5