Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dangerous Steering Failure 2014 Audi SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by getliquid
So far in this thread its all 2014-15 SQ5 owners, does it mean so far there are no reported steering failures with the 2010-2013 owners? The steering rack is different between the 2.0T vs 3.0T/SQ5? Did the dealer say what was different with this version of the steering rack that should stop the problem from happening again?

This is the only issue keeping me away from buying one. Might have to go with the X3 if this issue is not fixed.
They didn't say what was different on the last version. If it's the 7th version, they're always improving but it could happen again maybe.

I'm not worried about this, we know it can happen (under 30km/h), no big risk.

Same situation happened to a family relative with his Mercedes (steering failure + jerky electronic throttle...more dangerous !) and got into an low speed accident.

So it can happen on ANY vehicule with electronic power steering. It is the way it is.

Though, 3.0T S4/Q5/SQ5 seems more impacted than average. But again we don't even have a number here, no facts.

It would not stop me from buying an Audi product versus BMW. But that's me and the SQ5 is the daily driver for my family...
Old 03-11-2015, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Meantime, again with this post I will state my opinion. And again, I'll suggest you give it a rest and see what new information comes forth, rather than your repetitive statements and suggestions of imminent disaster and ill behaving manufacturers. But, if you want to keep going, folks will find these replies too and can judge for themselves.
Well, my dealer is trying to sweet talk me into a SQ5 the last few days (never thought SQ5 need this kind of discount in Canada). Deal so good that it's totally make sense for me to take a pause on Macan which has tons of 1st year model year issues.... and guess what, being a sister car of Q5, Macan has the same issue:

Loss of steering support. Increased effort - Porsche Macan Forum

Thanks to Nick keeping this close to the front page, the idea has cooled a bit but at least I have the slight comfort of knowing that SQ5 landing in Apr may not have this problem.

Yes, I'm in frozen tundra called Canada and experience the same temp.

As one of few guinea pig of the 3.0T S4 with defunct thermostat that somehow I need a new engine and out of my car for a whole month, as top notch and friendly as my Audi dealer is, I just don't know putting down $70K on a VAG product. I know BMW, Mercs all has their dirty laundry but who would have thought a 7th model year product still got these issues.

Thanks Nick. Need more updates and if there's a way to check the steering rack version would be great.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had mine done last year!....BUT!!!!! Be WARNED.

I had drove my 2015 SQ5 out on Saturday in Toronto and yes it was cold but 20mins into driving it....I had the scaring 3 beeps and warning of steering failure! Luckily I was slowing down at the traffic lights anyways and the Steering was ROCK solid. It took a LOT of effort for me to pull into a mall parking lot (lucky again to have it after the traffic lights). Called Audi Care to come get me to bring it to the dealership...took them 4 hours to come and get me. This could have been a VERY bad experience as I typically drive on the highways 95% of the time and was on my way onto one!. Imagine if this was to happen while on the highway!. The Service Rep didn't think it was much of an issued and that really ticked me off...playing with our lives. He said they don't get those issue.....

This was on Sat....so today when everyone is back to work I got a note telling me they have determined my issue as a power steering module being defective. They will have to order it from Germany and will take 2-3 weeks....NOT sure even if I want this crap back now ....kind of pissed me off from hearing about these issues and them not really too concern on it. We have another SQ5 in our company and I asked if they should be concern...Audi rep told me no we should be find and that the issue is "Definitely" more of an anomaly....wow...

Old 02-16-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIM, at higher speed the steering would have functioned better. There's a lot less assist about even 30-40mph. At highway speeds, there's shouldn't be a whole lot of assist. At even higher speeds, its' possible that resistance is ADDED. But I don't know that for sure.

Trust me, I drove a car without power steering for 8 years.

Still scary. Sounds like an electronic component failure. Its' why drive-by-wire steering is a terrible idea and only Infinity/Nissan has tried it that I'm aware of.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... sidenote, the steering is so heavy, because with the advent of power steering, engineers can change the steering geometry and steering rack ratios and small steering wheels for better handling and feel, and use big, wide tires without penalty. The downside if you lose power steering, you will not be happy.

There's a reason cars from the 50-70's and narrow front tires, slower steering rack ratios and giant steering wheels.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nickcdn
My issue same as all the others. Complete steering wheel assembly with module being replaced. Not a good sign on a new vehicle.
how much did you pay for it?

i went through a flood and having it blocked.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just had this happen to me on my 2014 SQ5 with 23K miles. Was parked in the garage and then power steering failed when I started up. Service guy at dealer said he never encountered this and was fixed next day with a newer replacement module.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Count me as another that has experienced the steering malfunction. I live in Wisconsin and temps have been below zero the past few days. I stopped to get gas on the way home, just a few blocks from home. When I started up, the malfunction indicator came on with the "do not drive vehicle". I only had four or five turns to make to get home, so I did manage it. I am old enough to have driven cars with no power steering and this was much worse. I'm guessing there is significantly more friction to overcome due to the non-functioning motor.

As a side note, I did have a different malfunction earlier in the day when I first started the car and went in reverse. The parking sensors immediately gave off a constant beep even though nothing was behind the car.

I sure wish the industry would go back to hydraulic steering. Seems like safety should take precedence over a very minor mpg improvement.

I'm parking the car this weekend but will take it in to the dealership even if the malfunction is cleared on Monday morning. It is suppose to be much warmer (20's) on Monday, so hopefully I won't have to call for a tow.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just experienced this same problem on my 2013 AUDI Q5 (56,00kms) -18C in Toronto. Was able to steer it into a service station on the next block (after sitting on hold for forever for Audi roadside assistance) and am still waiting to hear back what the problem is. From reading other posts this seems to be an issue at low speeds, which was also true in my case. However, the fact that this malfunction also tends to occur in cold weather, when roads may be slippery and icy (as in my case) makes this extremely dangerous! Whatever the actual cause I will be reporting this to Transport Canada.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:25 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they charging customers for the fix as 2014 cars are now out of warranty?

Audi should recall this crap.