Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 09:13 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Daytime running lights; Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Daytime running lights; Yes or No?

Curious if there is a benefit to running the daytime running lights. I like the look but don't want to prematurely exhaust the life of the light tubes. Is there a downside to running the daytime lights? I would assume the #1 benefit is increased visibility for other cars / safety but beyond the obvious what other benefit or downside.

Last edited by duffer5; 01-18-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

#1 benefit is they look awesome!!!! Lol. I had my S5 4.5 years and almost 60,000 miles with out any issues. LED's are supposed to have a super long life. I would rather burn them until the burnt out than save them for what??
Old 01-18-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look great and they're safer. Whenever I see someone isn't running DRL's, I just shake my head in disappointment.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+3 for the drl's from a safety and appearance (in that order) standpoint. I wouldn't worry about using them too much. That's what they're for.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The safety benefit of DRL's is not a given. I despise them because when they became popular for cars, it immediately neutralized their safety benefit for motorcycles, a vehicle that needs visibility far, far more than a big honkin' SUV. You can ponder and speculate how many lives they saved on cars, but the final analysis isn't complete without considering how many motorcyclists has it killed in the process.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on...you have to have them on.
Now, all new vehicles have them, and we don't want you looking cheap in your Audi.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
Come on...you have to have them on.
Now, all new vehicles have them, and we don't want you looking cheap in your Audi.
Love this group. Thanks for the feedback. On they will be
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
The safety benefit of DRL's is not a given. I despise them because when they became popular for cars, it immediately neutralized their safety benefit for motorcycles, a vehicle that needs visibility far, far more than a big honkin' SUV. You can ponder and speculate how many lives they saved on cars, but the final analysis isn't complete without considering how many motorcyclists has it killed in the process.
In the meantime, I'll leave 'em on.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Really? Having been an avid rider for more than 25 years, I find it far more safe when big honking SUV's are more visible to me in traffic.

It's not just the cagers who need to see us, we need to see them as well.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Really. In my 44 years of riding bikes on the street, the day i have trouble or even so much as doubt my ability to see SUV or even another motorcycle, i'll sell my bikes. The vast majority of motorcycle deaths are cagers not seeing the bike, most commonly by turning left into the biker's path. Knowing these things are crucial to survival on a bike.

Quick Reply: Daytime running lights; Yes or No?