Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 09:13 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Daytime running lights; Yes or No?

Old 01-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Really. In my 44 years of riding bikes on the street, the day i have trouble or even so much as doubt my ability to see SUV or even another motorcycle, i'll sell my bikes. The vast majority of motorcycle deaths are cagers not seeing the bike, most commonly by turning left into the biker's path. Knowing these things are crucial to survival on a bike.
So you're perfect then...that's great for you. Unfortunately for me, I'm human and I realize that I have limitations. For example, turning left while riding straight in to the low lying sun on the horizon, or changing lanes with the sun at my back shining directly in to my mirrors. It's much easier to spot a vehicle with DRL's than one without, and that is to my advantage.

I'm well aware motorcycle crash statistics - I've been riding both on the street and on the track for many years. What I fail to see is how making vehicles, regardless of size, more visible to everyone, is a negative for those of us riding motorcycles?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

VCDS will let you have the rear lights on with the DRLs which is not required in Canada ( where we have had DRLs for 20 years now) but is safer still at those times when the Auto lights have switched off or not yet switched on.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DucDude
So you're perfect then...that's great for you. Unfortunately for me, I'm human and I realize that I have limitations. For example, turning left while riding straight in to the low lying sun on the horizon, or changing lanes with the sun at my back shining directly in to my mirrors. It's much easier to spot a vehicle with DRL's than one without, and that is to my advantage.

I'm well aware motorcycle crash statistics - I've been riding both on the street and on the track for many years. What I fail to see is how making vehicles, regardless of size, more visible to everyone, is a negative for those of us riding motorcycles?
No, far from perfect and I certainly don't want to provoke an internet fight, which is about the biggest waste of time I can think of.

The website in the link below will explain it far better than I ever can. Years ago (early 70's) I fought against the nation energy speed limit by joining the spearhead of the opposition, the NMA. Check out their page on DRLs. If nothing else, it might point out an alternative view:

Daytime Running Lights
Old 01-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
No, far from perfect and I certainly don't want to provoke an internet fight, which is about the biggest waste of time I can think of.

The website in the link below will explain it far better than I ever can. Years ago (early 70's) I fought against the nation energy speed limit by joining the spearhead of the opposition, the NMA. Check out their page on DRLs. If nothing else, it might point out an alternative view:

Daytime Running Lights
After reading through the link you provided I have to say, it all sounds like environmentalist hippie nonsense to me.

I really like how they suggest that the use of low wattage DRL's all but eliminates the visual distinction of flashing lights and sirens on emergency vehicles. It sounds like something concocted by some low-life ambulance chancing personal injury attorney.

Oh well, to each his own, I guess.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DucDude
After reading through the link you provided I have to say, it all sounds like environmentalist hippie nonsense to me.

I really like how they suggest that the use of low wattage DRL's all but eliminates the visual distinction of flashing lights and sirens on emergency vehicles. It sounds like something concocted by some low-life ambulance chancing personal injury attorney.

Oh well, to each his own, I guess.
Yea, I hear ya. There's no shortage of environmentalist hippie nonsense. Though the NMA is pretty much pedal-to-the-metal gearheads
Old 01-20-2015, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short take: You, and everyone around you, is safer running DSLs.

As they used to say on BlogWorld, that is all.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the option of 'on' or 'off'. My 06 IS350 only had the 'on' option..unless you had the dealer get into their service menu and turn them off..which I did.

Flashing 3rd brake lights are supposed to make things saver too..but I find they highly annoying..
Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is an interesting discussion, indeed.

I live in NWA where we have a massive Bikes, Blues, and BBQ rally every fall. I go to the festivities every year. I'm mixed on the analysis of DRL's in the link provided by Elevens only because half the custom bikes have many extra LED lighting effects.

Seriously, you should see all different glowing lighting schemes available to bikers - it is awesome.

Each year they publish accident data after the Rally. Last year they estimate that about 400K visitors attended adding 35 million to the local economy. I think there were about 2 accidents a day - most not serious. Really only a few arrests for public intoxication.

We have a lot of people running DRL's here, and I think I'm more likely to hop a curb looking at some of these amazing machines running down the road, than they are to hit me. Most of the bikers are very careful as their bikes are not cheap!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

As far as increased safety, this has obviously been covered on both sides here. For me, the DRL, especially the light-pipe style, is a signature of Audi. Although others are copying the look, we were the originator and still lead in distinctive lighting. As far as wearing out the "light tubes", that pretty much won't happen. They are actually specially developed plastic (polycarbonate or acrylic) with properties and shape design that cause the light to travel along the tube shape and leak out the sides in a particular manner. The only active element is the LED that provides the light. We all know that LEDs last for a very long time, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone running without DRL's nowadays is doing a disservice to road safety!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daytime running lights; Yes or No?