Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Did they install my Xpel paint protection correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did they install my Xpel paint protection correctly?

I was looking over the Xpel job that my Audi dealer did and wanted to get some opinions. Looks like the guy cut his own templates instead of using Audi ones. Just want to get some opinions on this. Is this properly done? I had to take close ups but you can see that not all the lines are perfect. Should I ask them to redo it?

Old 09-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have to go back to the dealership tomorrow to pick up my license plate and registration. Was hoping I could get some opinions from people on if this is a good job or if I should complain and ask that they redo the work. Not really familiar with this type of work at all so not sure what to expect.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I can't really tell what you are speaking to in the photos. However, even pre-cut kits can be misaligned when installed incorrectly. Custom cut pieces, if done properly by a skilled installer, will usually have the film edges cut closer to the body panel seams than the kits provide. If you are unhappy with the work, you shaould have them redo any pieces that are troublesome. (It's likely your dealer uses an outside installer).

If you get nowhere with your dealer, call Xpel directly. I've found them to be be very customer service oriented and would want to hear about any issues with their film or its installation.

BTW, did you get the Xpel Ultimate or one of their other films?

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-11-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe it's the Xpel ultimate but I need to reconfirm.

My main concern is that there are still gaps. I would have preferred that they cut it closer to reduce that. It's not much....but as you can see from the first picture up top, there's a small gap that's not covered (and the line is uneven). Same for the bottom picture.

The 2 in the middle are not really helpful though so disregard them.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah
I believe it's the Xpel ultimate but I need to reconfirm.

My main concern is that there are still gaps. I would have preferred that they cut it closer to reduce that. It's not much....but as you can see from the first picture up top, there's a small gap that's not covered (and the line is uneven). Same for the bottom picture.

The 2 in the middle are not really helpful though so disregard them.
Maybe it's because I have old eyes but I'm not sure what's the seam and what's reflections. I think I see what you're talking about - the mirror edges look ragged. Can't really tell on the bottom photo but if they are bothering you, you should have then redo those pieces.

The Xpel Ultimate is their top line film and there is quite a difference. The Ultimate is thicker, has it's own clear coat layer and most importantly has self-healing properties. Consequently, it's also more expensive than their other films. And it has a 10 year warranty, double that of the other models. Hopefully that's what you have.

https://www.xpel.com/
Old 09-11-2015, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate when installers do not wrap the edges under. My guy that I have used for 18 years always custom cuts and wraps the edges. He will even remove parts of the car (grill) just so there won't be a edge. Pre cut kits are Mickey Mouse. Hell even I can install a precut kit. I did my brothers Honda Fit. It was really easy he didn't mind the edges not being covers. But your pics really do not show much. Here is a picture of my rear bumper. He even pulled out the rear lights in the bumper so you couldn't see the edge.
Attached Images