Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY Remote start Q5

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IntheQ5
According to Directed/Dball2 website, A4 ,A5,Q5, S4,S5 shares the same wiring platform.
Thanks, I ordered the dball2. I'm going to try this.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

You forgot the most important reason for a remote start: Security.

Always start the car a full minute before you approach it, jut in case someone has wired the inevitable car bomb to the ignition circuit. One never knows, and checking under the engine bay is just such a nuisance on a wet day. (VBG)
The following users liked this post:
jjksr (01-12-2024)
Old 10-10-2015, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
You forgot the most important reason for a remote start: Security.

Always start the car a full minute before you approach it, jut in case someone has wired the inevitable car bomb to the ignition circuit. One never knows, and checking under the engine bay is just such a nuisance on a wet day. (VBG)
Ha ha, you got me sold now!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Probably a really stupid question, but do you tap into a 12v or ground?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

OP, any chance you have the full text of the install from the 12V blogger site still? Since the site has been shut down, a bane of the internet, so it'd be great if you can post the install links you referenced directly into this thread.

BTW, I'm not going to do the mod, since I have no need for it, however know that others aren't as fortunate as me and I haven't had to deal with temps lower than 15F / -10C in ages.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Can someone post the full instructions?

Originally Posted by raj99
OP, any chance you have the full text of the install from the 12V blogger site still? Since the site has been shut down, a bane of the internet, so it'd be great if you can post the install links you referenced directly into this thread.

BTW, I'm not going to do the mod, since I have no need for it, however know that others aren't as fortunate as me and I haven't had to deal with temps lower than 15F / -10C in ages.
The 12v blog is down. If anyone downloaded the full instructions can you please repost here or send me a private message.

Thank you
Old 06-06-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The might be a dumb question but why not buy a plug and play system like the Viper Smart Start? Also if you're leasing a car is this DYI tutorial a bad idea?
Old 06-06-2016, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Remote start

I went to a reputable Viper dealer who looked it up in his dealer system and said they are not supporting the 2016 q5. So thought I would research how this person installed it and share the info w a local installer to get his opinion. I did describe the process somewhat to the Viper dealer who thought it was unsecure to use a spare key fob to map the remote start. Told me someone could probably easily get into and start the vehicle because the car thinks the key is inside and it is push button start.

Not sure of the implications of the lease. Couple of thoughts. If I understand how it is installed I could uninstall it if needed 42 months from now. My wife really likes it so it could be a present for her ar some point. I am really regretting the lack of air conditioned seats and remote start in sunny Texas. Getting F1 Pinnacle 30 on all windows, sunroof and Air 90 on front windshield to see if that helps on Wed. Feels like I am driving in a convection oven.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Question time!

1. While in remote start mode, can you still lock/unlock the doors from outside the car?

2. While in remote start mode and entering the car, what is the procedure to go? Brake, push start, go? Is a FOB required in the car for this to work? If there is no fob then when the brake is engaged, does it cut the engine?

I am looking for a system that i can install that will function a certain way. I do not care about range as I plan to use smart start and i do not want another remote.

It is my understanding that when the vehicle is running, it ignores lock/unlock OEM FOB input. This is a huge problem as i do not want a second remote. I want to x3 lock to start then 1x unlock to enter the car, press brake/push button start, and go.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before everyone rushes out to install a remote start, you may want to do some research about the negative consequences of extended periods idling a cold engine, not to mention the pollution issue.

Quick Reply: DIY Remote start Q5