Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Do you drive too fast in your SQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you drive too fast in your SQ

So... I got a ticket two weeks after getting my SQ5.... The Trooper said my low and high speed were all reckless driving.... After (what seemed like) an hour of blasting through the hard mountains, we were screaming down a country two lane and bam... he's there..... He liked the car, and the truth, and gave me 70 in a 55..... The coolest Virginia State Trooper I ever met.... $159.

I drive 500+ miles a week. I've been doing the same roads for 38 years, lots of cool rides..... My speeds in the SQ are going to get me put in jail...

The more I drive it... The faster I'm driving... 8100 mis. now... Between the accelerator, and that damn shift ****, I can't fight it...

How much $$$ will I have to spend to go faster next time?

Any one else having this problem?

Last edited by Dino757; 11-21-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't bought yet but on our test drive I commented to my wife that 85mph felt like 65mph. Salesperson said "put your foot in it", so it shot up to just over 100mph in a nano second… moved way out in front of the pack and quickly backed off. Didn't want to get cited for reckless, especially on a test drive and it got me wondering if I could own an SQ5 w/out tickets.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just bake the tickets into the total cost of ownership. I drive through this tunnel nearby and I'd like to go less than 20-30 over the speed limit, but dang if it doesn't sound amazing.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Set one of the warning speed notices to what constitutes reckless driving in your area..... That is what I have done since I've noticed this being an issue since the first day I picked up my Q.... It helps me slow down and regulate my speed....
Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had other fast cars, but there's something about this car...maybe the 8 speed tranny, that still puts a smile on my face when I give it the gun. I know I'm gonna miss that cop in back of me one of these days.
I am still enjoying my little freeway entrance ramp drag races too...love leaving unsuspecting kids in their big winged, megaphone tailpiped Hondas and Nissans in the dust.
I don't think many people realize what an SQ5 is.....I've only seen one other in the eight months I've had mine. And I live in a fairly large city ( San Diego)
Old 11-22-2014, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't have an SQ, just a lowly 3.0T, but I definitely have this problem.

As mentioned above, I set my speed warning at 85, and it has helped a lot. Doesn't mean I always listen to it, but I at least get a heads up.

This car does 80 without even thinking about it, so by the time you're feeling any resistance, you're climbing into 90-95+.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:03 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I use the adaptive cruise control to keep my speed to where I think the local constabulary will leave me alone (5 mph up to 50 and 10 mph at 55 and above). I can always give it some juice to get safely past most anything else on the road if I want to. Steve
Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
I've had other fast cars, but there's something about this car...maybe the 8 speed tranny, that still puts a smile on my face when I give it the gun. I know I'm gonna miss that cop in back of me one of these days.
I am still enjoying my little freeway entrance ramp drag races too...love leaving unsuspecting kids in their big winged, megaphone tailpiped Hondas and Nissans in the dust.
I don't think many people realize what an SQ5 is.....I've only seen one other in the eight months I've had mine. And I live in a fairly large city ( San Diego)
You don't need an SQ5 to do that. Even my 2.0T will make quick work of the Honda ricers. I do find myself getting up to 90mph very easily coming off the on-ramp and I have to actually slow down to merge in with the slower traffic. I can't imagine what it would be like in a SQ5. I'd be hitting 100 everytime I'm in the damn car.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This car ain't got nothing on my prior V8 M3 with DCT but I do still give it the beans every chance I get. I think it's a bit of a sleeper on the highway and I haven't been pulled over yet but that might just be luck. Now if I could rev out the power to 8k+ rpms I know that I'd be screwed.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackAce
I don't have an SQ, just a lowly 3.0T, but I definitely have this problem.
I concur. My only reprieve is that it is my wife's daily driver.

Quick Reply: Do you drive too fast in your SQ