Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Do you drive too fast in your SQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here's my thread!

Originally Posted by Dino757
So... I got a ticket two weeks after getting my SQ5.... The Trooper said my low and high speed were all reckless driving.... After (what seemed like) an hour of blasting through the hard mountains, we were screaming down a country two lane and bam... he's there..... He liked the car, and the truth, and gave me 70 in a 55..... The coolest Virginia State Trooper I ever met.... $159.

I drive 500+ miles a week. I've been doing the same roads for 38 years, lots of cool rides..... My speeds in the SQ are going to get me put in jail...

The more I drive it... The faster I'm driving... 8100 mis. now... Between the accelerator, and that damn shift ****, I can't fight it...

How much $$$ will I have to spend to go faster next time?

Any one else having this problem?
Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
I've had other fast cars, but there's something about this car...maybe the 8 speed tranny, that still puts a smile on my face when I give it the gun. I know I'm gonna miss that cop in back of me one of these days.
I am still enjoying my little freeway entrance ramp drag races too...love leaving unsuspecting kids in their big winged, megaphone tailpiped Hondas and Nissans in the dust.
I don't think many people realize what an SQ5 is.....I've only seen one other in the eight months I've had mine. And I live in a fairly large city ( San Diego)
I know! Right? It's a miracle I haven't been stopped yet.

You're right! Most people don't realize that the SQ5 is the S4's big brother. I've had mine for seven months, yet have only seen one other in the wild. That's when I knew I got the right vehicle.

I also agree with the sleeper comment. I was coming up a hill this one time (at band camp) singing my typical "wa-waa-waaa" song when I had a premonition of being greeted at the top by the po-po. I decided to back off just before I crested the top of the hill. Good thing, as my premonition became reality. I was still speeding, maybe 15 over, but I dared not light up the brake lights. I looked him right in the eye as I coasted quietly by, just before he turned back to see what that was coming up behind me. That's when I confirmed I got the right vehicle.

I thought that taking it to the track would get it out of my system. It did...for about three days. It's just so damn fun to drive!
This isn't the fastest vehicle I've owned. It isn't the roomiest. It isn't the best off-road. It isn't even the most comfortable...but it is, hands down, the best, most fun, all-around vehicle I have ever owned.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have been driving in Comfort mode for too long. last night, i rediscovered why i bought the SQ a year ago when i set it to Dynamic and put it in Sport mode while driving up a very long on-ramp. what a rush. no tickets yet.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's something to be said for low profile/sleeper, and this car is it. I love it. Saved me several times already.

And now that I have the flaky oil pressure switch replaced under warranty and pushing 30k miles, I'm next up to unleash the inner SQ on the 3.0T with APR. That Audi marketing muzzle over 4k rpm is the only thing that's saved me from more serious "fun" to this point.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife picked her up this past weekend. As the sales person went over the MMI with us (which took over an hour!), we came across the speed warning setting. He said it's something we'd want to use, especially if highway driving. He said it was so smooth and such a low rpm on the highway, that you'd be going pretty fast and not even notice it. Sure enough, on the way home (and I always drive only 5 mph over the limit on the highway), it felt like everyone else was going really slow and we were just going normal speed...I looked down and we were going 85 (20mph over). I quickly set the cruise and upon getting home, set the speed warning in the MMI. It's really weird.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrar97
My wife picked her up this past weekend. As the sales person went over the MMI with us (which took over an hour!), we came across the speed warning setting. He said it's something we'd want to use, especially if highway driving. He said it was so smooth and such a low rpm on the highway, that you'd be going pretty fast and not even notice it. Sure enough, on the way home (and I always drive only 5 mph over the limit on the highway), it felt like everyone else was going really slow and we were just going normal speed...I looked down and we were going 85 (20mph over). I quickly set the cruise and upon getting home, set the speed warning in the MMI. It's really weird.
Lightweight
Give it hell!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQive
Lightweight
Give it hell!
You're right...it wasn't that it "felt" like everyone else was going slow...they WERE going slow!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why would you get a SQ5 if you normally go 5 above the limit? Wouldn't a 2.0T or a hybrid have been a better (and cheaper) fit for you?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Parsec...Oh no, a non-S would have never cut it for me. It's all about how fast I can get from 0 to that speed limit. I'm quite the speed-freak and have had way too many run-ins with the law. That's why 5 above the limit keeps me out of trouble for the most part. I had to learn this the hard way, but how quickly I can get up and go still matters.
I test drove a 2.0T at first because it's all the first dealer had on the lot. I wanted out of it before I hit the edge of their lot; it didn't even feel fast at all (and it wasn't). Granted, this is a CUV to begin with, but the SQ5 gets it done...I'm more than happy with the decision to pull the trigger on getting it.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Parsec...Oh no, a non-S would have never cut it for me. It's all about how fast I can get from 0 to that speed limit. I'm quite the speed-freak and have had way too many run-ins with the law. That's why 5 above the limit keeps me out of trouble for the most part. I had to learn this the hard way, but how quickly I can get up and go still matters.
I test drove a 2.0T at first because it's all the first dealer had on the lot. I wanted out of it before I hit the edge of their lot; it didn't even feel fast at all (and it wasn't). Granted, this is a CUV to begin with, but the SQ5 gets it done...I'm more than happy with the decision to pull the trigger on getting it.
Gotcha. I guess around here it doesn't make much of a difference. I drive between 25-35 mph everywhere I go, so acceleration doesn't matter. I only hit the highway about once a month. I had an A4 rental the other day and boy what a difference between that and the Q5 in terms of handling. I could actually drive 25-35 mph during my entire commute no matter how many turns I had to make.