Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Don't try the Macan...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Don't try the Macan...

I really wanted to upgrade to a SQ5 but I made the mistake of trying a Macan... Now, a well equipped Macan S is too expensive and the more affordable SQ5 is not that amazing. :-(
Old 07-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
I really wanted to upgrade to a SQ5 but I made the mistake of trying a Macan... Now, a well equipped Macan S is too expensive and the more affordable SQ5 is not that amazing. :-(
hey, Yoshimura. The price of equipment on Macan is just outrageous.....
LOL.... did you try the turbo one ? more expensive....
Old 07-26-2014, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default curious

What about the Macan is so much better than the SQ5?

Old 07-27-2014, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Porsche interiors are gorgeous. I love both the cayenne and new macan on the inside. Definitely a notch above the q5.

The exterior of the macan is nice, but it doesn't blow me away that much more than a pimped out sq5.

As always, you need to order the car the right way with options. And for most people, it would take over 70 grand to get the macan looking the way you want it.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I do not agree with you, was a discussion about it before

Depends , most of the additional equipment in the EU has the same or similar price.

Here are some examples

Audi MMI® Navigation plus 2.810,00 EUR
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) inclusive Navigation Module 2.951,20 EUR

Audi Digital radio reception and TV reception 1.335,00 EUR
Porsche TV reception including digital radio reception (DAB) 1511.30 EUR

Audi parking system plus with reversing camera 1,230.00 EUR
Porsche Park assist front and rear including rear camera € 1,309.00

Carbon Audi exclusive 1300.00 EUR
Porsche Carbon interior package 1309.00 EUR

Audi 3-zone deluxe automatic air conditioning 580.00 EUR
Porsche 3-zone climate control 368.90 EUR

Audi quattro is not satisfied the requirements of Porsche engineers, they have made a much better system
The only one in the world in this class offer Air suspension with self-leveling and height adjustment, including Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)

If you compare Macan with SQ5, then Q5 can be compared with the RAV4, Mazda CX-7, Honda CR-V, ............

The truth is that it pays for name and brand. It is the same for all in life: electronics, clothing, shoes, jewelry, watches
Old 07-27-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Air assisted PASM, better steering (the Q5 weakness) and an up-rated TDI might make the Macan worth $70k to me.

However, I'm not convinced it would be worth $20k more than my TDI with coilovers and better steering software. The Macan gives away significant utility, enough so that I start to wonder about just buying a car versus a CUV.

Last edited by sdiver68; 07-27-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

+/- to each as usual. Macan has less cargo space, less rear passenger leg and head room. The rear seats don't recline. Cost a little more depending on options (though more considering they aren't discounted as much). It has better steering for sure, better ride quality, amazing PDK tranny, better fit and finish. Compared to at least the 3.0 TFSI SQ5 though felt less peppy. The macan's engine felt super smooth, but is so quiet it was almost boring. (Maybe that's why it felt slower to me despite similar power)For daily driving that is mostly in town or highway the choice for me was obvious. If I had a nice twisty cannon or mountain road to drive down everyday to work then maybe the Macan S. Never drove the Macan "Turbo" so can't comment on that, but of course the cost are much higher. Just my .02
Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2015 SQ5 Premium Plus
Metallic paint
Carbon inlays
20" wheels
Tech Package
B&O stereo
Nappa leather

$60,100

2015 Porsche Macan S (options added to equal SQ5 in USA)
Metallic paint
20" Wheels
Sport Seats (partial leather)
Entry and Drive
Park assist (sensors) and backup camera
Automatically dimming mirrors
Panorama Roof
Roof rails plus crossbars
Front seat heating
3 Zone climate control
Lane change assist
PCM/Nav
Voice control
Bose Stereo
Online services

$66,615

With performance options (not available on SQ5)
Air Suspension
Sport Chrono
PTV Plus

$72,140

So for an equally built SQ5 vs Macan S, $6600 may be worth it for PDK, RWD biased AWD, steering, handling, and Porsche label prestige. The power to weight ratio is approximately the same. For me, I would have to get air suspension and that adds another $2700 putting it almost $10k more expensive than the SQ5. Bottom line though, the Porsche will perform better for $6-10k more than SQ5 but the SQ5 performs pretty well already. Either vehicle is a great pick for the enthusiast who wants some more utility from their fast car.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
2015 SQ5 Premium Plus
Metallic paint
Carbon inlays
20" wheels
Tech Package
B&O stereo
Nappa leather

$60,100

2015 Porsche Macan S (options added to equal SQ5 in USA)
Metallic paint
20" Wheels
Sport Seats (partial leather)
Entry and Drive
Park assist (sensors) and backup camera
Automatically dimming mirrors
Panorama Roof
Roof rails plus crossbars
Front seat heating
3 Zone climate control
Lane change assist
PCM/Nav
Voice control
Bose Stereo
Online services

$66,615

With performance options (not available on SQ5)
Air Suspension
Sport Chrono
PTV Plus

$72,140

So for an equally built SQ5 vs Macan S, $6600 may be worth it for PDK, RWD biased AWD, steering, handling, and Porsche label prestige. The power to weight ratio is approximately the same. For me, I would have to get air suspension and that adds another $2700 putting it almost $10k more expensive than the SQ5. Bottom line though, the Porsche will perform better for $6-10k more than SQ5 but the SQ5 performs pretty well already. Either vehicle is a great pick for the enthusiast who wants some more utility from their fast car.
Nice, informative comparison. For me, if I were to step up to the Macan, it would have to be the turbo - the performance difference between the SQ5 and the S is not enough for me to justify the difference in spend. But then again, a well equipped Turbo is $80k+.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

In Macan will be installed Audi diesel engine 3.0TDI 258HP , but simply Porsche is higher class than Audi

Macan S diesel 190 kW (258 PS) 57,930 Eur vs Q5 190 kW (258 PS) 50,800 Eur

You can not compare the Porsche and Lamborghini, both are sports cars but Lamborghini is higher class cars

Paying for the name and prestige

Last edited by spijun; 07-27-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Don't try the Macan...