Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Driver Select

Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driver Select

So I am confused on this and the owner's manual doesn't seem to help me explain the situation.

According to the dealer, when I am in "Dynamic" which will likely be what it stays in, the transmission will default to "S" on start up.

I swear it did this on day one of ownership but now it goes directly to 'D". If I change to "Dynamic" when the car is on or while driving it goes to "S".

At first I thought I was just "double-clicking" the shift lever and I was changing it from "S" to "D" as that's what I did the past two years to go from "D" to "S" on my 2013 2.0 but I am not doing that.

Man, I hope this makes sense to someone.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

No, the transmission will not default to S. If you stay in Dynamic and turn off the car, the transmission will be in D when you start the car again. Simply pull it back to toggle to S. Audi is doing this for fuel economy reasons. The engine will also be in comfort/auto mode as long as the transmission is in D. Again, for better fuel economy. If you change to Dynamic from another mode, then the transmission will go immediately into S, but again it will go back to D once you turn off the engine. Your dealer was smoking something when he told you it would default to S.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
No, the transmission will not default to S. If you stay in Dynamic and turn off the car, the transmission will be in D when you start the car again. Simply pull it back to toggle to S. Audi is doing this for fuel economy reasons. The engine will also be in comfort/auto mode as long as the transmission is in D. Again, for better fuel economy. If you change to Dynamic from another mode, then the transmission will go immediately into S, but again it will go back to D once you turn off the engine. Your dealer was smoking something when he told you it would default to S.
Thanks, it's funny how the end-user always understands the car more than the dealer.

What do you think he was smoking and will he share it?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just throwing in my two cents here for what it's worth, but from what I've read previously, if you throw it in Dynamic and turn off the car, when you restart it, the car will still be in Dynamic but reflect 'D' instead of 'S'. Not sure why it's designed that way. Regardless, you should be able to feel the difference and tell that you're still in Dynamic mode even though the drive indicator shows 'D'.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by apex_pyramid
Just throwing in my two cents here for what it's worth, but from what I've read previously, if you throw it in Dynamic and turn off the car, when you restart it, the car will still be in Dynamic but reflect 'D' instead of 'S'. Not sure why it's designed that way. Regardless, you should be able to feel the difference and tell that you're still in Dynamic mode even though the drive indicator shows 'D'.
It doesn't appear to be in Dynamic in this case.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
It doesn't appear to be in Dynamic in this case.
Your steering is still in Dynamic, but your powertrain is not. As far as the powertrain is concerned the following applies. D = comfort/auto, S = dynamic. All other drive select settings are unaffected by this.