Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Driver's side door lock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Driver's side door lock replacement

Decided to share my experience in case anyone else has the same problem:

Driver's side door would not lock from the remote, and the car would not make the "lock on" sound ("chirp") when using the remote to lock. It would lock and make the sound when I used the physical key. Also, the driver's door only would not lock after starting to move and the little red light on the lock switch on the door panel would not light up.

The door would always unlock from the remote. It occasionally (1-2 out of 10 times) would lock from the remote but very inconsistently.

Initially, I decided to fix it myself- I found PDFs on the door lock removal and bought an 8mm triple square socket needed to remove the door lock bolts. Looking at the PDFs, the job did not look too difficult. I could not find a youtube video for this model.

At the last minute I decided to go to the professionals- went to an alarm/sound shop I dealt with before. It took them over 1.5 hours to do the job, which required removal of the window glass and releasing window regulator mechanism from its attachment points in order to get the old lock out. The tech complained that the Audi uses plastic clips to attach the glass to the window regulator and that the clips are not easy to remove w/o breaking ("Toyota uses regular bolts and they are easy to remove, I don't know why Audi has to make it so complicated...").
At the end of the day I am very glad I went to the professionals- I would easily spend 3-4 hours and possibly could break those "f*^*ing clips".
For those who still would want to do DIY, I am attaching the PDFs I found.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Here, PDF and parts
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24611214
Old 07-23-2016, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
The diagram does not show that the lock would not come out w/o releasing the window regulator- the shop I used is in business forever, and the tech who did the job has been there long time. They also service all makes and models cars from Civics to exotics like Bentley or RR...
Old 07-24-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
The diagram does not show that the lock would not come out w/o releasing the window regulator- the shop I used is in business forever, and the tech who did the job has been there long time. They also service all makes and models cars from Civics to exotics like Bentley or RR...

Maybe in your case.
I know 6-7 people who are replace door lock on Q5, following these instructions
This is from the official service books for Audi

If anyone knows how to fix the Civic and Bentley does not mean that he can not fix Audi on way how to do in Audi service
My best man is engineer in Audi Ingolstadt, does not necessarily mean that he knows something about the BMW or Ferrari

Last edited by spijun; 07-24-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Maybe in your case.
I know 6-7 people who are replace door lock on Q5, following these instructions
This is from the official service books for Audi

If anyone knows how to fix the Civic and Bentley does not mean that he can not fix Audi on way how to do in Audi service
My best man is engineer in Audi Ingolstadt, does not necessarily mean that he knows something about the BMW or Ferrari
Hi spjun,
Thank you for your reply- I know you have helped many people on this forum (in fact, I was going to use the files you have posted here too).

Like I said I was going to do it myself but I am glad I did not attempt it after seeing what they had to do with the window glass and regulator. The tech did say to me that he did not like people watching him closely and suggested I go to the office and wait there but I stayed in the shop at some distance. Maybe there was a way to pull the lock out and he did not figure it out but he spent a lot of time trying to get it out before he removed the glass and regulator.
They told me ahead of time how much it would cost ($120) to replace this lock so It did not matter to me how much time they would spend.

I may try to do the next door if another lock breaks.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worry with the time if the work will be done and if you take time and the work has been still there then it will be the issue. Locksmith near has been fixing door lock and taken 4 hours to repair it which is more then enough.The same will be done in 1 hour at dealership, so mean to say that time's not the issue work must be the main thing. Choose those experts which can do lock replacement instantly.