Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dynavin DVN-A5 Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Final update. We figured out the sound issue. The Audi RCA plugs didn't work. It appears that Dynavin unit was already hardwired in and didn't need a separate audio input into the car. The trick was getting an Aux cable, plugging that into AMI connection which triggered the car to enable Aux as an input. That resulted in Dynavin automatically playing when Aux is selected (even thought nothing needs to be physically plugged into the 3.5mm Aux connection).

For anyone looking to do this, its actually a great system. We've been using it for a couple weeks and we're very happy with it. Nav is very good once we downloaded additional POI's ($9) and some additional 3D buildings ($9).
Old 09-09-2014, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this! I researched this for a customer of mine, but was unable to find any substantial reviews on this kit. I was hoping he'd go for it and I could post my own review on it, but he decided to hold off for now. It's nice to know Audi owners out there have a real option for adding GPS.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Really nice job! This is what I'd hope any remotely modern car would offer, but sadly, I fear the do-gooders have legislated much of this to the un-possible pile.

How is touch-screen accessibility with the MMI stock location? I personally have gorilla-arms and can reach anything from the driver's seat, but my concern would be my wife being able to reach the right half of the screen without some very deliberate leaning.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Accessibility is fine. No issue for me and since this is the wife's car, she is able to use it very easily as well. Well within reach and she is 5' tall. The iNav button on the steering wheel toggles between Nav and menu quickly, so that helps too.

She has the SD card with music in OEM headunit, USB 32GB drive loaded with more music hooked into Dynavin (very nice interface for that by the way, great navigation between folders and tracks), an extra old iPhone loaded with additional music permanently in the glovebox and connected to Dynavin, and she also Mirrors her personal iPhone for Pandora or just movies. Tons of options...couldn't be happier.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nice work!

Thanks for sharing the results - this is a bigger project than I feel comfortable taking on myself, but kudos to you for pulling it off! Thanks for the pictures too. I don't completely regret paying for the Tech Package, but for $4,000 it leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I also want to applaud you for taking the chance on this aftermarket navigation alternative. Please keep us updated over time. Love to hear about continued support by manufacturer.

You have the Android based unit, but it appears Dynavin is now selling the Windows CE version. I am also amazed at Dynavin's ability to integrate with the other Audi MMI systems (parking system, Audi MMI menus, etc.) Hope some other brave sole will document their install of the Windows CE version.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys.

DennisMitchell - My unit is the Windows CE based one. Support by manufacturer is tricky (or non-existent from my email attempts). But Jeff from J&T Distributing has been great. He does a lot with the BMW guys and even though he hasn't done any of these on an Audi yet, he spent tons of time going back and forth with me trying to help to support it. He seems to have a direct line to Dynavin and was talking to them when needed. I bought it from him and would definitely recommend going that route instead of buying online somewhere else where support can be hit or miss.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all i wanna thank you hyboost for publishing the only installation of dynavin dvn-a5 i found at the internet.
i ve 2013 audi a4 2.0 tdi quattro with AMI (audi multimedia interface) in the glovebox and i tried some cinese made aftermarket units all failed till i heard from you to get an ami aux cable to see aux in car menu
so i decided to buy dvn-a5 and installed it
my review about dvn-a5:

+
perfect fit
successfull navigation
easy installation (especially if u ve ami unit u dont need to remove it like other chinese aftermarket units)
ipod menu cool
mirrorlink works fine

-'s
no display settings and not enough sound options (if u plan to add an amplifier that will fail)
screen resolution and quality too low (original screen has really excellent contrast despite this)
touchscreen quality (touching or pressing or pushing grrr really pain sometimes=
long pressing the upper left corner to enter main menu when u r in navi is really hard sometimes i dun understand why and i also entered hidden menu to adjust touchscreen calibration and nothin changed)

i wanna ask 2 questions if u get solved
1. when u exit usb menu the mp3 list starts from the first song each time u start the unit this makes me sick is there any way to start from the song u listened last?
2. each time i start the car unit goes to navigation i want to start the original car menu at the beginning and i wanna use navi when i need it

also i ve factory bluetooth installed on my car now i can use 2 blueetooth systems separetely or wife's phone connected to cars original mine to dynavins we can use both at the same time

my conclusion:
as it aadvertised german made or origin this unit is totally chinese and doesnt ve german quality so my offer to ppl who gonna buy this unit is dont ve too much expactations especially if u ve space in the glovebox ( no ami) aftermarket unit called s100 is cheaper and better option dynavin doesnt worth the money
thank you
Old 11-01-2014, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  IMG_5318_zps3455cff2.jpg
Views: 3088
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5341_zps7402ece8.jpg
Views: 3068
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5343_zps2436d51a.jpg
Views: 3040
Size:  38.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
usmc873 (03-23-2021)
Old 11-03-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

FYI: I've been following this thread for a while myself. I also have a 2013 A4 B8.5 Quattro, facelift model. It didn't come with the Navi option. I almost bought the Dynavin DVN-A5 and then I found out that Dynavin is about to release an 'N6' version of the DVN-A5 the DVN-A5-N6). They have the updated N6 versions for most other models and earlier Audi's.

It actually came up for sale twice on Ebay and on the Web (which I bought and then was refunded twice), but it turned out it was premature.

I've got confirmation from the Dynavin people and from OTTONavi (the only other authorized seller besides J&T). that it is in the works.

*update: I spoke with the OTTONavi people and they said the release has been delayed a while due to some technical issues. Still, if you look at the upgrades from the old DVN-A5 version, it is worth the wait (for me), but I am getting impatient!!!!

Quick Reply: Dynavin DVN-A5 Installed