Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction

I was pulling to a stop in a left turn lane when suddenly the emergency brake light came on and the car screeched to a halt. The emergency brake would not come off despite my best efforts; reading the manual (with honking horns and emergency flashers on); calling a service writer at Audi. Finally had to have the car towed to the dealer who confirmed it was broken.

The car had to be dollied as all wheels were totally locked. Car would not move.

Here's the klinker. What if I had been driving down a highway at highway speeds? ABS kick in? And who would expect it? Not the driver. And certainly not the guy right behind you. That would be like dynamiting the brakes for no apparent reason and catching someone off guard.

What if the someone was a semi? It seems to me that this malfunction could get you killed.

I'm going to have a serious discussion with Audi. This makes me REAL nervous about safety (not to mention reliability).

Fortunately, I was within 10 miles of the dealer. What if I had been in Timbuck4?

If my discussion with Audi is not satisfactory, I am making a report to the National Transportation Safety group.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry that happened. Im curious to see what the dealer discovers. As far as it happening on a freeway...It is still your emergency brake. If you pull up on the brake switch and hold it, the car will start beeping and will very quickly, but progressively, slow down to a stop. Its designed to do so.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Sorry that happened. Im curious to see what the dealer discovers. As far as it happening on a freeway...It is still your emergency brake. If you pull up on the brake switch and hold it, the car will start beeping and will very quickly, but progressively, slow down to a stop. Its designed to do so.
Defective Emergency/Parking Brake Switch.

The whole point is that the switch failed and the car went into emergency braking mode suddenly and on its own. Imagine if that happened at freeway speed with a semi in your rear view mirror; to drivers who did not expect it. AND there is no way to release it or stop it from continuing to emergency brake.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Defective Emergency/Parking Brake Switch.

The whole point is that the switch failed and the car went into emergency braking mode suddenly and on its own. Imagine if that happened at freeway speed with a semi in your rear view mirror; to drivers who did not expect it. AND there is no way to release it or stop it from continuing to emergency brake.
Fascinating. Thanks for the update.

However, if I was ever going to be in a situation where an E-brake failed, I would pref it to fail in the "closed" position.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Happened to me on the interstate going 80mph in my '11 Q5.

Back of the car jumped, then it released. It was due to MAF sensor malfunction.

Then it happened again when my engine blew. This locked up wheels completely.

Both times had a parking brake malfunction error.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
If my discussion with Audi is not satisfactory, I am making a report to the National Transportation Safety group.
I wouldn't go with the "if" the discussion isn't satisfactory; I would file the report. The description sounds like a defective design or electronics implementation. Another scenario would be the obvious full lock up in any turning scenario on slippery surfaces. NHTSA seems to act on almost none of the filings absent people getting killed, but I would get it in the database in any case. NHTSA is the right agency; NTSB are aircraft, trains and such. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ I did a quick keyword search on Q5 brakes and got (only) a handful of hits. Unfortunately and not atypically when I have searched on these before, some read like people looking for free maintenance/repairs and others like not owning up to a driving mistake that may have led to a collision.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-25-2015 at 08:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Allan Mandell (03-28-2021)
Old 07-25-2015, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I wouldn't go with the "if" the discussion isn't satisfactory; I would file the report. The description sounds like a defective design or electronics implementation. Another scenario would be the obvious full lock up in any turning scenario on slippery surfaces. NHTSA seems to act on almost none of the filings absent people getting killed, but I would get it in the database in any case. NHTSA is the right agency; NTSB are aircraft, trains and such. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ I did a quick keyword search on Q5 brakes and got (only) a handful of hits. Unfortunately and not atypically when I have searched on these before, some read like people looking for free maintenance/repairs and others like not owning up to a driving mistake that may have led to a collision.
Yes. I AM reporting this incident. You are absolutely correct.
The following users liked this post:
Allan Mandell (03-28-2021)
Old 07-26-2015, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Extra karma points for filing the NHTSA report. Even though there are no other reports (last I saw) indicating this is happening to others...but what Audi and others told me is not what bob said: "will very quickly, but progressively, slow down to a stop."

It might be more like a ride on Space Mountain, with full ABS/ESC and immediate full brake force, if that's available to the car.

("There there dear, don't you worry your silly head, this does not happen to your Audi. Perhaps we might offer you a coffee?")

Marvelous concept of an integrated system giving the benefit of maximum assistance...but it still ain't no emergency brake. AFAIK only certain classic Rolls Royce's actually were built with three fully separate braking systems. One on the propshaft (for parking), one on the rear axle (emergency, in case of service brake failure), and the third on the wheels for the service brake.

Of course, that company went bankrupt.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Report has been filed

I'm thinking that I should contact Audi as well.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow, that's scary. I hope Audi will do a safety recall on this.

Quick Reply: Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction