Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Engine Failure: Goodbye 2011 Q5 ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Failure: Goodbye 2011 Q5 ...

Hello 2015 SQ5 (hopefully)...

So it's been a while since I've actively posted. Life got in the way. New family, house, job, etc.
But I've always come back and followed the board. Especially the oil consumption threads.

So, around 50K miles, my Q5 started burning oil. Maybe I'd be a quart low and have to top off right before my service was due.

As time went by, it became maybe 5,000 miles in it would need a quart. I'd always heard as they got older this may happen. So I'd add and go about my business.

After my 65K service, now that my warranty was gone, I thought, ok I'm gonna drive this car and take good care of it for a long time, it'll go forever. I had new tires all around, and service done.

So then my oil MIL would come on. At 69K I thought, odd that early. But I added a quart. Then I get the oil consumption "extended warranty " letter in the mail from Audi saying 80K miles. And read up on here more about it.

Another 1500 miles goes by and, boom low oil again.
I fill up, and go on. Another 1500 miles, boom, low oil. I call my service mgr, ask what I should do. He tells me to go ahead and fill it up again, that Audi considers anything 1,000 miles or more "normal" and it has to be burning it under 1,000 before the oil consumption test would be sure to fail. So I fill up again, set my tripometer and away I go.

So 880.9 miles later with 73,387 total miles on the car. Low oil MIL hits again. So I fill back to full, and need to make my appointment to have the test run. I'm getting ready to fly out of town for business, so I make one last trip to the airport, and on the way there I feel the engine not responding to throttle on the interstate. As I hit the exit, my MIL board lights up like a Christmas tree. As I come to a stop on the off ramp my car is shaking from the engine bucking. I drive as safely as I can into the long term parking, and turn it off. I try to restart. Nothing. It takes 3-4 tries to restart. Still doing it. Turn it back off. Parking brake has malfunctioned also and closed down and will not turn off.

So I call Audi roadside assistance. They get a tow truck there, take the car back to my dealer.

A day later I call and find out there are 8 full pages of engine codes, and to try and fix everything I would basically need a new engine to the tune (no pun intended) of $12K.

So it's time for a new car. Yay SQ5!

So, out of warranty, I ask, will the oil consumption extended warranty cover. My sales guy takes the lead, trying to find out what the trade will be worth. Audi says no way. I've tuned the vehicle w/ APR. Sorry. My car is worth about $9500. It will be sold to auction.

Everyone at the dealer loves what I've done with her, but out of warranty, and engine mods kept it from oil consumption extended warranty.

Currently trying to see if I can still order a SQ5 built my way.

Also have several items I can sell (brand new that never made it on my car) if anyone is interested.
*PODI boost gauge new in box with modded to fit cover for the Q.

*Eurocode Alu Kreuz for B8
*R8 red coil packs
* NGK plugs
* Eurocode inter cooler /black piping

All brand new in box for a deal.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent

Engine Failure: Goodbye 2011 Q5 ... <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->

So it's time for a new car. Yay SQ5!

Thunder, there's something about this that feels completely counter-intuitive.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ThunderDent, if I experienced anything like your situation, my next vehicle would not be from VAG. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

How much could it worth with a new engine?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dcl23
ThunderDent, if I experienced anything like your situation, my next vehicle would not be from VAG. Best of luck to you.
Why not? What manufacturer today would stand by their warranty extended or otherwise if the car was tuned at all let alone tuned as much as Thunderdent's Q5?
Old 04-15-2015, 06:58 AM
zia
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Audi plays in the same sandbox as BMW & MB, then why is the warranty more like the Toyota & Nissan playgroup? Isn't it time to level the playing field? Didn't BMW initiate all scheduled maint included about 5 years ago into their warranty?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zia
Didn't BMW initiate all scheduled maint included about 5 years ago into their warranty?
But what does that have to do with the fact that OP had aftermarket tune on his engine?
Old 04-15-2015, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
But what does that have to do with the fact that OP had aftermarket tune on his engine?
Agreed. Audi made VERY clear in 2011 (if memory serves) that after-market tunes void the factory warranty. You gotta pay to play, and in this case he paid with his engine.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Thunder, there's something about this that feels completely counter-intuitive.
That was laced in sarcasm.

Although I'm happy to get a new car, and glad no one was hurt in anyway shape or form. That's what was important. In the grand scheme of things it's just a car.
My wife is pregnant and it could have been worse had the e brake locked up on the interstate.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
Agreed. Audi made VERY clear in 2011 (if memory serves) that after-market tunes void the factory warranty. You gotta pay to play, and in this case he paid with his engine.
Absolutely. I knew that going into it. So I'm fine with it at this point.
My sales guy, the techs, everyone at my dealer loved my car. Loved what I did to it. It's unfortunate that it happened. But it did.

In the future (now that an SQ5 is a possibility, which wasn't an option in 2011... I didn't want the NA 3.2, wanted the turbo) I will keep a car for life of warranty, then trade it to keep it in warranty for another car, whatever it may be.

Right now, with a baby on the way, I'm looking SQ5, Sepang Blue, black/magma red, black optic. Looking like I'm going to have to order tho.

Quick Reply: Engine Failure: Goodbye 2011 Q5 ...