Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Engine Failure: Goodbye 2011 Q5 ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

To you think that the engine failure was directly connected to all the tuning you have done?
Old 04-17-2015, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably not, but there is no easy way to prove that it did or did not, and it gave Audi a way out.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Probably not, but there is no easy way to prove that it did or did not, and it gave Audi a way out.
Yeah, I know but just curious. This engine had almost every possible tune. It would be interesting to see the list of all the things that failed.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They said 8 pages of failure codes.

Also over this last month it had started burning through the oil like never before.

The thing that sucked was I called up there, said, hey this isn't normal for this, and they said, " anything over 1,000 miles Audi deems normal. Fill it up and let us know if it goes under 1,000 miles"

Then boom engine failure.

IMO, it was the oil consumption issue. However, like the other poster said, it gave Audi a way out.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry if you posted it already in this thread, perhaps I missed it, and I didn't see it in your signature, but what motor blew up?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.0T
Old 04-18-2015, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Didn't BMW initiate all scheduled maint included about 5 years ago into their warranty?"
Scheduled maintenance, these days, is not what it was 40 years ago. Spark plugs then were scheduled for a change every 3500 miles. Today? Often 50,000 miles and no plug wires to be changed at all.
Only a batch of air filters (engine & cabin) and the oil/filter pretty much, so considering that 5 years will be about 50,000 miles for most owners, and that will also ensure you bring the car in so they can sell you new brakes (which don't last as long as they used to, because that saves weight and money up front) and look for other profit makers.

Audi isn't significantly different from the rest of the industry that way.

That Audi engines haven't always had a reputation for durability, that there have been widely documented oil issues in some years, and that no maker is going to want to stand behind a "customized" engine, that's not surprising either. I'm a hard customer, but I can't disagree with a reseller saying they don't want any part of a chipped engine that is having issues. I'd expect a new engine, or an engine teardown, would cost more than my first TWO cars together did.

If a car is going to be auctioned at wholesale...better to sell it privately "as is" unless you really hate dealing with buyers.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Redd
"Didn't BMW initiate all scheduled maint included about 5 years ago into their warranty?"
Scheduled maintenance, these days, is not what it was 40 years ago. Spark plugs then were scheduled for a change every 3500 miles. Today? Often 50,000 miles and no plug wires to be changed at all.
Only a batch of air filters (engine & cabin) and the oil/filter pretty much, so considering that 5 years will be about 50,000 miles for most owners, and that will also ensure you bring the car in so they can sell you new brakes (which don't last as long as they used to, because that saves weight and money up front) and look for other profit makers.
Actually, the BMW maintenance plan does include brake replacement. The only thing it does not include is tire replacement.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Dunno about that. From the bmw.com web site:
"If you buy a new BMW, ...your BMW Service Centre now offers a warranty ...For the entire automobile (excluding the replacement of worn parts), ...

Brake pads are a consumable part, AFAIK if they fail that's one thing, but if they are simply worn out...that's ordinary wear, not warranty. But I'm not going to run out and buy one and drive with my foot on the brake pedal, to make sure of what they'll actually do.(G)

They've been very successful for a long time, in encouraging people to lease instead of buy, and their "zero maintenance" policy for lessees has been a pretty important part of that, IMO.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Redd
Dunno about that. From the bmw.com web site:
"If you buy a new BMW, ...your BMW Service Centre now offers a warranty ...For the entire automobile (excluding the replacement of worn parts), ...

Brake pads are a consumable part, AFAIK if they fail that's one thing, but if they are simply worn out...that's ordinary wear, not warranty.
It's not part of warranty. It's part of the free maintenance program:
The BMW Maintenance Program covers all factory recommended maintenance as determined by the Condition Based Service (CBS) system. Additional specific items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty - such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts - are included, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits.
The BMW Maintenance Program - BMW North America

Quick Reply: Engine Failure: Goodbye 2011 Q5 ...