Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Engine Failure: Goodbye 2011 Q5 ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, things are going to be ok.
A big shout out to the guys at Bert Wolfe Audi today.

Ok, so they gave me a fair trade for the condition of the vehicle. It will probably be sold at auction to be parted out. I did lose about $10-11K in equity in the car however, but it's better than nothing.

Worked out all the paperwork today and assuming all goes smoothly with a dealer trade, I should have my new SQ5 in a couple of weeks, instead of ordering and waiting 5 months.
I really wanted to do the diamond stitching (which he could only find in gray in the system) but after careful color swatching with my wife, we decided on getting the one already stateside.

2015 SQ5 (3.0T V6 Supercharged/quattro)
(354 hp/346 lb-ft)

Sepang Blue Pearl Effect
Black/Lunar Silver w/ contrast stitching
Fine Nappa Leather Pkg.
Black Optic Pkg.
Technology/Navigation Pkg.
Bang & Olufsen Sound System
21" Wheel (titanium) package
Carbon Atlas Inlays
Supercharged Badges
Audi Guard Protection Kit
Audi Guard Wheel lock kit
Front filler panel (gloss black)
Cargo net
Audi Care

5 year, 100,000 mile warranty (bumper to bumper)
Gap insurance for the life of the loan

The only mod I may do, would be lowering springs, but even then, I may get the genuine Audi parts to do it from Europe. I may put on spacers to flush the wheels some, but I've never had a single issue out of those.
They did say that even if I did the Audi euro springs and installed them at the dealer, it would still void any suspension issues ONLY should they arise.

I also may get the premium SQ5 floor mats with silver stitching as well for the inside.

Other than that, I won't be f*%#ing with this one. I did enjoy the 4 years of ~360 hp or so my APR tuned Q5 gave me, but I've learned my lesson with this one.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
They did say that even if I did the Audi euro springs and installed them at the dealer, it would still void any suspension issues ONLY should they arise.
Seems a bit odd that they'd void your suspension warranty for using OEM Q5 springs, but at least they warned you up front that AoA would most likely not cover it.

Other than that, I won't be f*%#ing with this one. I did enjoy the 4 years of ~360 hp or so my APR tuned Q5 gave me, but I've learned my lesson with this one.
The S wasn't previously available, and stock should have the level of performance you had to do a bunch of mods to your 2.0T to get, so I'd hope that you'll be satisfied with what you get with the S and so it's not something where you keep wishing you could mod it to get even more without potentially getting screwed over down the line.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree!

I'll be happy with the SQ5 performance. Like my Audi sales guy of many many years told me, the engine in an Audi is a finely tuned machine. Its awesome what you were able to do with it, but there's always that chance it could go wrong.

I'm not touching anything engine related. No supercharger pulleys, tunes, down pipes, high flow cats, 02 sensor spacers, or exhaust. Nothing to mess with the heart of the vehicle.
The interior is now what I want, so no mods needed there. The brakes are bigger too so great! Got the black optic that wasn't available in 2011, got great titanium wheels, so all is good

I am going to have to do something with the stance of the vehicle. That's my only quandary. I just don't think I'm going to be able to take the body roll, high up feeling coming from coilovers and spacers.

I had factory ET33 titanium peelers before with 17.5 mm spacers and it was a perfect fit.
Coilovers to drop to just tucked under with a flush fit.

I am probably going 17.5mm spacers again (maybe considering dropping down to the 15mm ones all around. I'll see when she comes. The new 21"s should still be ET33 so I'll have to figure that out.

As far as drop, reading up on it, the factory euro sq5 springs may present a problem for unevenness in the rake because they are made for the curb weight of the TDI engine. Plus, there are different shocks and dampers that go with them.

So I am either going to go with H&R sport Springs (-001) or the KW H.A.S. (Height adjustable springs). To get the exact look I want. That's one thing I just don't think I'll be able to not mod.

Also strongly considering the Alu Kruez for B8.5.

Other than those things I am not touching it.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent

Other than those things I am not touching it.
I wish you luck Thunder! I've said that about nearly every new car, and dammit, I always fail. I need a 12 step program...

Congrats on the new ride coming!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi looks more and more like Harley Davidison... Building dreams, but not exactly. Looked long and hard at getting an SQ5.... but can't get that with a TDI in the US... My MY2016 is making its way to the boat.... Q5 TDI, Tech, Sport, Adaptive Suspension..... I would love a flat bottom steerind wheel with paddle shifter but I didn't the high gloss black package that came with the S-line....
Oh well, let the mods begin
Old 06-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by El Kabong
Audi looks more and more like Harley Davidison... Building dreams, but not exactly. Looked long and hard at getting an SQ5.... but can't get that with a TDI in the US... My MY2016 is making its way to the boat.... Q5 TDI, Tech, Sport, Adaptive Suspension..... I would love a flat bottom steerind wheel with paddle shifter but I didn't the high gloss black package that came with the S-line....
Oh well, let the mods begin
Yours is already built? Congrats!

Mine is scheduled for the 10th. I decided to go with the S-Line for the extras although I'm not a huge fan of the gloss either. Looking forward to the adaptive suspension. Most everything I've read was positive.