Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

engine keeps stopping

Old 03-05-2014, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine keeps stopping

I recently purchased a 2010 model audi q5 with automatic transmission. For some reason engine keeps completely shutting down when I slow down and come to stop. This has happened 4 times now. Each time I had to restart the car. What could be causing this problem?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k4nth
I recently purchased a 2010 model audi q5 with automatic transmission. For some reason engine keeps completely shutting down when I slow down and come to stop. This has happened 4 times now. Each time I had to restart the car. What could be causing this problem?
I'm done responding to Newbies with questionable problems. Many of them come on here with questions that seem suspect at best, never to be heard from again or with no follow-up.

We're here to help each other, but If my 2010 Q5 with AT stopped just once unexpectedly, I'd be at the dealer asking these questions, not on a forum.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

In what country are you located? Starting with 2010 models outside of North America to reduce fuel consumption, Audi introduced the Stop-Start engine system which will turn the engine off when the car comes to a stop and certain operating parameters are met. If that's what's happening, when you release the foot brake, the engine should automatically restart. If you live outside of North America, you can check your manual to see if you have this feature. If not, you'll need to provide more info for someone to try and help with your question.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed my headlights automatically turn on when its dark and off when it's light. What gives?

lol
Old 03-05-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Transfer
I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed my headlights automatically turn on when its dark and off when it's light. What gives?

lol
Maybe it's ghost Casper
Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
In what country are you located? Starting with 2010 models outside of North America to reduce fuel consumption, Audi introduced the Stop-Start engine system which will turn the engine off when the car comes to a stop and certain operating parameters are met. If that's what's happening, when you release the foot brake, the engine should automatically restart. If you live outside of North America, you can check your manual to see if you have this feature. If not, you'll need to provide more info for someone to try and help with your question.
I am in UK. It doesn't have stop-start engine system. I took the car back to the dealer but they couldn't find any issues. They have simply reset all the settings to test the car now.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe a bad fuel pump? Just hazarding a guess.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Transfer

lol
Now THAT is funny and I indeed LOL'd.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Since you don't have the auto-stop, it is probably a fuel system problem. There can be any number of reasons that would cause the car to have insufficient fuel at low speed, resulting in the engine being cut off. Could be the idle speed is set too low, could be any number of controls that are tied into that, or even a vacuum leak. In theory the car "must" be showing an OBDC fault code that should point toward something more specific. It could also be something more esoteric, like a chafed wire or corroded connection that literally "swings" and cuts off the ignition with the forward momentum of a stop from speed.

No easy answer on that one, but I'd bet the car is somehow cutting off fuel or dropping rpm too far when it comes back down to idle speed.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know what the issue was after you've taken it to the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine keeps stopping