Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

rain sensing wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rain sensing wipers

Does anyone know how to disable the rain sensing portion of the wipers? For me, they usually wipe far too early for the conditions. Especially since I religiously have all windows treated with Stoner Invisible Glass with Rain Repellent. I'd much rather they just worked as I set them, old-school style. As you can see, I have a new 2013 Q5, but non-navigation, so there may be fewer settings to work with.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For clarification, do you mean whether you can have a standard intermittent wiper setting (such as say every 2 seconds or whatever), rather than setting the sensitivity of the rain sensor?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can disable it by not placing the right stalk in the first up position. All the way down position is off.

30 seconds in on this video;

http://www.auditechnology.com/#2013/q5/XZKxWjTpLwk

Last edited by Hawk12; 02-28-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Gee, thanks Hawk. I do know how to turn the wipers off. I have driven a car before.

Yes, I mean like idale says, so it is a set interval rather than varied by the sensor. Even at the lowest setting, the interval is often too quick for my taste.

Not the end of the world, but generally irritating.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Plasticar
Gee, thanks Hawk. I do know how to turn the wipers off. I have driven a car before.

Yes, I mean like idale says, so it is a set interval rather than varied by the sensor. Even at the lowest setting, the interval is often too quick for my taste.

Have you popped open your manual? I would suggest taking a look, as I found our manual to be one of the most comprehensive of any car I have owned (maybe a German thing). In fact, the "hidden feature / easter egg" thread here is funny, because essentially every thing in that thread, is also described in the manual.

I'd just tell you how to perform the task, but we have the full MMI Nav system, so it may be a little different for your non-nav car.

And chill with the snide. Hawk12 was trying to help, and those videos are quite helpful.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Plasticar;24413748[B
]Gee, thanks Hawk. I do know how to turn the wipers off. I have driven a car before. [/b]

Why the attitude? It's childish and unneeded. I didn't take my time to try and help based on any reason other than to assist you.

When you asked how to disable it, that is how. If you had asked how in vagcom then that's different, but you didn't...
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

You can completely turn off, and I think there is the ability to customize it but I will let you know tomorrow

Need VCDS
Chrome with a translator:
http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/au...aktivieren.php
Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hawk12
Why the attitude? It's childish and unneeded. I didn't take my time to try and help based on any reason other than to assist you.

When you asked how to disable it, that is how. If you had asked how in vagcom then that's different, but you didn't...
Sorry Hawk, I guess sarcasm doesn't come across well when typed. It was intended with a smile, not to be a jackhole. My sincere apologies.

I have seen that some just leave theirs in rain sensing and let it activate as needed. I hadn't realized that, and that's obviously what you meant.

I'm the one with eyes, I know when I want the wiper on better than some sensor. I'm just tired of automakers thinking they are smarter than the driver. Although in most cases it is probably true.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry Hawk, I guess sarcasm doesn't come across well when typed. It was intended with a smile, not to be a jackhole. My sincere apologies.
Then you should've included a along with that to show your smile.

I have seen that some just leave theirs in rain sensing and let it activate as needed. I hadn't realized that, and that's obviously what you meant.
To be honest that's what I thought at first, too, but then I realized that it'd be pretty silly to ask something like that (not that it's out of the question), hence making sure what you actually meant (so someone who knows for sure would be able to answer the right question).

I'm the one with eyes, I know when I want the wiper on better than some sensor. I'm just tired of automakers thinking they are smarter than the driver. Although in most cases it is probably true.
Since you don't usually hear as many complaints about the rain sensors, the majority are probably happy enough, but since we're all different, you can't please everyone. But hopefully there is some sort of configuration even if it's just a small amount.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

No issues and all is well.

If you're in the Southern California area, shoot me a PM and we'll meet up somewhere for you to use my laptop and VCDS software to try spijun's coding that was posted.

Quick Reply: rain sensing wipers