Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Extended Warranty on '15 TDI??

Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got of the phone with Troy at FD-Warranty. The prices he currently had for Q5s (non-hybrid) - audi pure protection “platinum”, all with $100 deductible: for car will less than 10K miles 7yr/100k=$3301, 6/100=$2994; for car with between 10K and 25Kmiles: 7/100=$6599, 6/72=$3355, 6/85=$4417; 25-35Kmiles: 5/75=$3415. Troy confirmed that warranty years and mileage runs from the date and odometer at the time of purchasing the insurance (not when the car was first put in service). Prices are changed on Jan 1st each year. The mileage categories for the different prices are: under 10K, 25K, 35K, 45K (although after 40K it will no longer be an Audi branded warranty). Based on my estimated 15K miles per year average, there is quite a big price jump per month of additional coverage (15%-30%) if I wait to buy the EW until after 10K miles.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is a pretty timely thread for me. For some reason I thought the price jump occurred at 12K and not 10K. I'm sitting at 9934 miles on the ODO as of today after eight months on the road. Taking the info in this thread I ran some quick calcs that will likely be useful to others (the following doesn't take into consideration the value of add on coverage like towing, trip delay or rentals during repairs):

Keeping in mind that these service plans don't kick in until the 48 month/50K factory warranty expires and begin counting from the date the plan is purchased...

7/100K Plan - $3301
6/100K Plan - $2994

If purchased when the vehicle is new:
7/100K plan (84 months) - 36 months of coverage = $91.69/month
6/100K plan (72 months) - 24 months of coverage = $124.75/month

Presuming you can keep the ODO below 10K for 12 months (as noted, I only made eight):
7/100K plan (84 months) - 48 months of coverage = $68.77/month
6/100K plan (72 months) - 36 months of coverage = $83.16/month

For my situation since I'm not yet at a year but just reaching 10K miles:
7/100K plan (84 months) - 44 months of coverage = $75.02/month
6/100K plan (72 months) - 32 months of coverage = $93.56/month

I had contacted Troy earlier this year when I first picked up my TDI and received the same pricing as quoted in this thread. I also had him send me a copy of the contract which I would recommend everyone do if they are investigating buying one of these service plans. There is a REALLY big exclusion that most may be unaware of:

Wear and tear of a covered part is only covered up to 50K miles. There is no coverage after that. Here is the actual language (my emphasis):

"SERVICE CONTRACT COVERAGE: In the event of Mechanical Breakdown of a Covered Part, WE agree to make repairs or reimburse YOU for the cost of parts and labor, to repair or replace a Covered Part less applicable deductible, subject to the terms, conditions, and limitations herein. Mechanical Breakdown means: (1) The failure of a Covered Part due to faulty workmanship or materials supplied by the original vehicle manufacturer or distributor, or; (2) The failure of a Covered Part due to a gradual reduction in operating performance as a result of normal wear and tear, prior to the vehicle reaching 50,000 miles. Coverage for normal wear and tear expires once the vehicle reaches 50,000 miles. Wearable parts shall include, but are not limited to: steering and suspension bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering and suspension links, and steering arms.A Covered Part has failed when it can no longer perform the function for which it was designed solely because of its condition and not because of the action, inaction, or failure of any non-covered parts. IF THE MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN IS COVERED UNDER ANY OTHER WARRANTY, SERVICE POLICY, RECALL, OR REPAIR ADJUSTMENT (“OTHER COVERAGE”), WE WILL PAY THE DIFFERENCE, IF ANY, BETWEEN THE PAYMENTS DUE UNDER THIS SERVICE CONTRACT AND THE PAYMENTS DUE UNDER THE OTHER COVERAGE. This Service Contract is not an insurance policy, a warranty, or a guarantee."

This tells me that unless there is a defect in a part that there won't be coverage at the discretion of the claim administrator. And really, what CAN'T be considered wear and tear after 50K miles? Something to keep in mind.

In addition, the exclusion lists "exhaust system" which to me means everything including the urea injection system. Not good either.

For completeness, here is the full list of Platinum excluded parts:

"UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD TRANSMISSION CLUTCH COMPONENTS AND ASSEMBLIES, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, HINGES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, TRIM, MOLDINGS, DOOR HANDLES, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER SILVER COVERAGE PLAN, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, SHOCK ABSORBERS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING, CONSTANT VELOCITY JOINT BOOTS, SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, CELLULAR PHONES, RADAR DETECTORS, APPLIANCES, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;"

Lastly...

I've also quoted the longest USAA Extended Vehicle Protection plan. Their pricing cutover comes at 12K miles. The 6 year/100K comprehensive plan (similar to Audi's Platinum) is $3087. There is no deductible, no wear and tear mileage limitation and exhaust system component exclusions are specifically listed versus generically referenced. Other than that, the coverage and exclusions are pretty much the same.

Assuming I can make it to one year and still be below 12K miles, the cost to me for the EVP plan runs $85.75/month for three years which will take me out to seven years of ownership coverage. I keep my cars a long time (had my '99.5 A4 until replacing it with the Q5 this year and still have my '01 Boxster S) so a service plan will likely make sense for me given how expensive Audi's are to repair.

Hope everyone finds this helpful.

Sean..
Old 11-01-2014, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I opted for the 7 year 70k mile warranty. It was like 2k for it. I don't remember. Never know about carbon build up, egr, dpf issues.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn! I didn't even get a reach-around!
(Full Metal Jacket reference)
Old 11-01-2014, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
This sounds like a reasonable deal. Do you mind telling me which dealer offered it? We want to get ext. warranty for the Q5 we just bought, and I'm sure our local dealer will try to screw us unless we present some competing offers.
Certainly, purchased it from Sunset Imports in Beaverton, OR.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
I opted for the 7 year 70k mile warranty. It was like 2k for it. I don't remember. Never know about carbon build up, egr, dpf issues.
Yep. The quote I have for that is $2010. Assuming <10K miles, that equates to $55.83/mo when new, $41.82/mo at one year and $45.68/mo in my personal circumstances.

The 6/60K plan is only $1527 which equals $63.63, $42.42 and $47.72...

The USAA 72 month 75K plan is $2075 or $57.64/mo.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hilld
Certainly, purchased it from Sunset Imports in Beaverton, OR.
I just checked with Lawrence at Sunset today as our 2015 Q5 TDI Prestige is on schedule to be delivered in late December. He quoted me MSRP for the 7/100 plan well north of $4500.

That is way off the price your were originally quoted.

If you don't mind sharing the details (name of extended warranty and general info) and whom you dealt with at the dealership, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mnalla
I just checked with Lawrence at Sunset today as our 2015 Q5 TDI Prestige is on schedule to be delivered in late December. He quoted me MSRP for the 7/100 plan well north of $4500.

That is way off the price your were originally quoted.

If you don't mind sharing the details (name of extended warranty and general info) and whom you dealt with at the dealership, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
PM sent. Hope this works out for you.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Geico has mechanical breakdown insurance for $15 every 6 months, 7 years / 100K, $250 deductible. So if you find Geico insurance rates reasonable, this is quite the bargain. You must insure before 15 months / 15,000 miles.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you explain what the Ding/dent warranty?
Thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty on '15 TDI??