Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Exterior colors & maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Daytona q5. It's an awesome color on it.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all your input! I'm looking forward to having a less high-maintenance color, and I appreciate your advice regarding paint choices.

Originally Posted by Gsrjc
I have a Daytona q5. It's an awesome color on it.
That's my number one choice for color! The only concern is I'm most likely buying a 2014 certified, and I'm looking for the best deal. Daytona is only available on S-Line for 2014 as far as I know, and if it's not within my budget range by next year, I'll probably settle for the next best thing (Lava Grey or Glacier White)
Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Take a look at the Utopia Blue. We have it and it really doesn't show as much dirt as I thought it might. Only problem is finding one in this color. It's new this year and we had to order the car. None in the western U.S. In the 3.0 model
Old 05-24-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lava Gray is deceptive - a very beautiful color (color shifts with the light from almost black to light brown) but very hard to maintain. In fact it shows dirt like a black car very quickly and is a total pain.
Just look at my signature pic to see the shades of the lava gray. Towards the rear you can see how dark it looks - especially with clouds.
Any silver will be your best bet. Monsoon gray was also good at hiding the dirt.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
Lava Gray is deceptive - a very beautiful color (color shifts with the light from almost black to light brown) but very hard to maintain. In fact it shows dirt like a black car very quickly and is a total pain.
Just look at my signature pic to see the shades of the lava gray. Towards the rear you can see how dark it looks - especially with clouds.
Any silver will be your best bet. Monsoon gray was also good at hiding the dirt.
Aaaaaaaargh! I was hoping this would be a low-maintenance color. It's so beautiful, and I find it much more masculine and interesting than silver or monsoon gray. Am guessing now that Daytona would be my best bet...if only it was readily available for the 2014 model

Last edited by gagethrash; 05-24-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gagethrash
Aaaaaaaargh! I was hoping this would be a low-maintenance color. It's so beautiful, and I find it much more masculine and interesting than silver or monsoon gray. Am guessing now that Daytona would be my best bet...if only it was readily available for the 2014 model
Sent you a PM
Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

My Glacier White SQ5 stays cleaner looking than my wife's Ice Silver A1. I don't think white cars can be beat for staying clean but that's just my opinion. You should buy the color you really love to look at and not worry about the cleaning. I can guarantee you will be cleaning your new car regardless of the color!!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Ibis White Q5 was delivered with a protective paint sealer called ZurichShield. I did not ask for it, nor did I pay for it. Pretty surprised by the results, in that it does make the car easier to clean. Even tar removal is easier and it has held up well.
I wash the Q weekly and always microfiber towel dry it.....and it always looks great. Easy to repair those little stone chips when one gets one...solids are a breeze compared to a pearl or metallic. My previous Brilliant Black Q was stunning when freshly washed and waxed, but a PIA, especially for an OCD old guy like me.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I owned a monsoon gray and now the Lava. Lava definately shows more dirt/ dust than monsoon. Get yourself a california duster which helps a lot. Its pollen season here so you can't keep anything looking good for long. But its better than a black car which I've owned as well. The Lava is a gorgeous color.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default The color that I feel shows better when dirty

I drive a Brilliant Black car and it's beautiful, but so difficult to keep clean as it shows dirt, swirl marks, and water spots easily. I'm looking for a stunning color that's also low maintenance, and I like white and dark grey. From your experience is the Q5 easier to keep looking good in white (ibis/glacier) or dark grey (Daytona/lava)?
We have a '15 Q5 3.0T in Daytona Gray Pearl and it is far less high maintenance than the other colors mentioned. Then again ours gets washed at least once a week. I we had white or especially black it would be washed everyday. My wife is a realtor in Palm Springs and the cleanliness of a car speaks volumes when showing property...she'd go crazy with a black car.

Quick Reply: Exterior colors & maintenance