Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Fair price for new 21" SQ5 wheels with tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fair price for new 21" SQ5 wheels with tires?

My friend is picking up his new SQ5 and is replacing the stock 21" wheels with aftermarket ones. He is willing to sell the OEM 21" with tires to me, but we're both unsure of the price? The OEM wheel/tire set would come off at the delivery, so would be basically new. Any ideas?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say probably in the $2000-2500 range?

-tgt
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Original price for 1 wheel rims OEM Audi 21 for SQ5 "is 850 Eur cca 1200$

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT Set of 4: $1,632.00

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...40&diameter=21

Last edited by spijun; 08-27-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was another user here who sold his for $2200 I believe. I wish I could find someone selling those I love the look of them!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
My friend is picking up his new SQ5 and is replacing the stock 21" wheels with aftermarket ones. He is willing to sell the OEM 21" with tires to me, but we're both unsure of the price? The OEM wheel/tire set would come off at the delivery, so would be basically new. Any ideas?
I sold my 2014 SQ5 21" wheels & tires, with 500 miles, for $2,350. He's correct, the tires alone are 1,600 new on tirerack.com. $2,350 for the set, it's a steal IMHO.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Since I was actually part of the buying "triangle" here, I'll fill in...

from the "buyer's" side of when I think I have found a deal that I want and is well priced. It probably matches pretty well to what BayAreaQ7 reports as far as the #'s too. Unknown to the two of us at the time, he sold his new 21's to another guy, who in turn sold his S line 20's to me. Hence, the "triangle."

Here's how I play it--since I have my Q5 upgrade wheels in hand now... First, I go down the OE wheel route rather than aftermarket. OE's invariably stand the test of time; few aftermarket ones do, having owned Audis back 35+ years now. Replica's of course like Hartmann have gotten pretty darn good at simulating the real McCoys, though when I've looked in the past, they have tended to be heavier for similar sizing than Audi OE. Read further about pricing--the trick being to find a complete set and not pay remotely like dealer OE wheel pricing, or even close to what some of the bare OE wheel sets go for from resellers via eBay.

Next, I try to find take offs or near take off's from the same vehicle, thus in this case a Q5. Of course I need to have decided on my diameter, and have a sense of which styles I want. If it is for anything else (RS5, S5, S7, A8, A6, S6, etc.), invariably the tire sizing is wrong and often the offset not ideal either (S5 is pretty spot on and RS5 close but aggressive).

Now, the all important price, which is when I get ahead of even the replicas. If they are Q5 takes offs (near zero to a few thousand miles max and absolutely no curbing), then I add up everything I'm getting: four tires, shipping of the four tires from TireRack (usually around $70 for me) if I had to buy the tires separately, and typical good mount and balance cost ($100-120 for me) that I don't need with OE take offs. As an aside BTW, Audi factory tires are mounted better than any shop I have ever seen--NO machine marks now whatsoever, and it looks like everything is now computer matched before the tires ever hit the wheels [look carefully and you will find some color coded fine spray marks on a new set that seem to key to the Euro weights that are similarly precisely applied]. If I am getting new TPMS's I add the cheapest OE price for those too (just FYI, no longer relevant for Q5's; used to be for my D3 A8). On the cost side, I take the full cost of the set I'm buying, plus any shipping. Obviously here if I find a Craigslist set (which usually price lower than eBay) or something on a bigger wheel site like Audizine classifieds that happens to be near me, then I save $150-200 here that is pretty typical for shipping for larger wheels w/ tires.

Punch line: If I crunch the numbers and the wheels are well priced for me as a buyer, the net cost for the bare factory OE wheels can be as little as $125-150 each !! And, yes for Q5's I mean 20's; found the same thing with A8 20's for that matter. The OP asked about SQ21's so you'll have to decide if you can extrapolate; again it's worked for me even on very low volume A8 forged OE wheel sets and for also then very low volume OE RS6's. This net pricing result commonly can happen with the expense of higher performance tires (even at TireRack's more agressive pricing and w/out tax) and then the shipping and mounting stacked on top. Half a dozen OE wheel sets in past 10 years now stand behind this perspective. And for the Q5 20's I just picked up, indeed it met the "formula" so I jumped on them, as I did for some virgin Dunlop 3D snows on Audi Queen Anne design (a five spoke variant) wheels that I just happened to catch in the first hours. I lose some too, but I have found with some patience across four different vehicles now, three of them Audis, with that patience and maybe 3 or 4 months of frequent scanning of eBay, CL, Audizine, here and QW I can typically meet this spec. and know I am getting a really good deal, as long as I want the given wheel style and tire set.

Besides getting a good buy, frankly from the seller' perspective they move promptly too. I've watched many a wheel set not priced this way, and they are often much slower to go, or perhaps don't at all. Also FWIW, at times I can find the same wheel set on Craigslist priced differently (typically lower) than the same set also in a parallel eBay ad. Not sure why that happens, but it does and of course now I know the lower price. A set of somewhat more used 20's like that from the Bay Area has been on eBay and CL for a while, differentially priced--too high on eBay as a used set, but not bad as priced on CL. It didn't pan out on the Q5, but I did use some of the search engines that can reach all the CL listings nationwide; at one point I saw a bunch of wheel sets in Seattle, but they were the dime a dozen 18's and/or pretty easily found 19's. Just another tool to snout out possible leads, though buying remote on CL is harder of course.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-27-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a set on Denver craigslist for $1500
Old 01-15-2015, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
There is a set on Denver craigslist for $1500
He dropped the price to 1200, but I wouldn't bother with them anyway. At least he could take the tires off and fix the curb rash.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ND40oz
He dropped the price to 1200, but I wouldn't bother with them anyway. At least he could take the tires off and fix the curb rash.
Not that I have any for sale. But, what's the going rate for takeoffs considering these wheels are crazy expensive from audi? They are msrp for 1000-1200. Then factor in tires and tpms.

You can get some really nice forged wheels at that rate. Makes m3 takeoffs look like a flea market deal.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no tpms sensors anymore, all done with wheel speed/abs sensors now

Quick Reply: Fair price for new 21" SQ5 wheels with tires?