Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Finally used the spare tire

Old 03-08-2014, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default I'm not talking about a full size spare....

Originally Posted by Redd
Bob, I'm not sure there is room. Someone said they took out the "liner" and the body pan intrudes too far to allow a full sized spare, which is why I want to get my own eyes in there.

Putting a spare in a car can add 40# to the gross vehicle weight, which impacts the EPA fleet rating for mpg, and adds costs to many things including the suspension, which is built to carry that weight. So I can understand the cheap SOBs omitting something the mass market has no use for.

I mean, most folks can't or won't change their own flat. Although I have a friend who got her license in France many years ago, who said "Do you know they make you show that you know how to change the spare, or you can't get a license?!"

When it is engineers versus cost accountants, you know who will win every time, unless the marketing boys can prove them wrong.
a thin space saver donut that can handle the vehicle load. It's only to get you to a good tire dealer, not to continue on your vacation. I'm sure the thin donut would weight just as much as the collapsable spare. Well for the people that won't change thier own flats and are out of cell phone range....good luck to them.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As predicted the kit wouldn't all go back into the correct places. Even the jack is difficult. I managed to pop off and lose a plastic trim rivet. The tool bag? Not a chance. Not that it really matters as the bag can just sit up against the tire.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Bob-
In my understanding, you could not use a donut with AWD. You can't use one with a conventional LSD or Posi rear, and AWD is basically the same thing twice. Which is part of the reason we get something that comes back to the original diameter, to make the differential happy.
Last time I needed a tow I was only ~25-30 miles from the nearest dispatch station. Except, things were busy and they said it would take an hour to arrive. Except, things got busier and it took them two hours to arrive. On an interstate.

But most folks will never complain. The last six or eight flats I've had to deal with were all found in the parking lot. The tows I've really needed...much less convenient.

My friend with runflats who discovered a nice fat bubble in the tire sidewall, was "only" 100 miles from home. But got stuck overnight where she was, because who'd going to risk a blowout driving with one of those? And of course, the two new tires (for the axle pair) had to be shipped in.

How inconvenient this stuff is, depends on how you feel about wasting a couple of days and dollars, versus having the spare changed in 15 minutes.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The donut spare whould be same diameter

Bob-
In my understanding, you could not use a donut with AWD. You can't use one with a conventional LSD or Posi rear, and AWD is basically the same thing twice. Which is part of the reason we get something that comes back to the original diameter, to make the differential happy.
Last time I needed a tow I was only ~25-30 miles from the nearest dispatch station. Except, things were busy and they said it would take an hour to arrive. Except, things got busier and it took them two hours to arrive. On an interstate.

But most folks will never complain. The last six or eight flats I've had to deal with were all found in the parking lot. The tows I've really needed...much less convenient.

My friend with runflats who discovered a nice fat bubble in the tire sidewall, was "only" 100 miles from home. But got stuck overnight where she was, because who'd going to risk a blowout driving with one of those? And of course, the two new tires (for the axle pair) had to be shipped in.

How inconvenient this stuff is, depends on how you feel about wasting a couple of days and dollars, versus having the spare changed in 15 minutes.
as the tires that come on the car, the spare would just have a narrow width. No issue at all with AWD. A lot of people around mu area take their Q5's hunting/fishing/hiking down dirt roads where even the tow guy can't find you let alone have proper cell service. I'm glad this topic showed up that I will now buy a cheap Q5 wheel and put a cheap tire on it. Then when I'm going up in the mountains or take a long trip I'll just toss it in the back ahd have zero problems if I damage a tire. I'll be on my way in a few minutes.

I need to look at that spare tire well cutout tomorrow, I thought it had a much larger diameter than the collapsable spare.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 03-08-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I feel your pain relocating those items....

Originally Posted by HarmsWay
As predicted the kit wouldn't all go back into the correct places. Even the jack is difficult. I managed to pop off and lose a plastic trim rivet. The tool bag? Not a chance. Not that it really matters as the bag can just sit up against the tire.
I had the same problem qith my 1997 A4, I need to go to the delaer and look at a new one to see how the jack folded up correctly. My next Audi I took a lot of photos where everything was and did it on my 2014 Q5 also. Now it's simple to relocate the proper place/way.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Coat the wheel hub with anti-seize compund

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
I blew out a tire and didn't know about the valve on the hose that needed to be closed. the pump was running and nothing was happening. I let this go on for way too long. I ended damaging the paint on the rocker panel because the jack is so poorly designed and has to be placed precisely. I got everything done up to removing the tire from the hub. The rim was fused to the hub because of salt. I couldn't get it off. I called Audi Roadside finally. It also didn't occur to me that there was an outlet in the cargo area. I ran the wire up into the car to the console area.

If you live in a salty area, go to Harbor Freight or somewhere with cheap tools and get a rubberized mallet. You may need to smack the wheel a bit to get it off.

That experience was truly a huge P.I.T.A. BTW, Audi sent some guy in a beat up old mini van who would have had no clue how to inflate the tire or where it was even located. READ UP
the first week you get the car. The wheels will always fall off in your hand after that. Audi/VW's are well known to have the aluminum wheel fuse to the steel hubs. I have seen wheels on a car 2 years old that need to have a 2x4 and sludge hamer to remove them. Road side service don't use the wood the just use the hamer and beat up the aluminum wheel. I also learned if you do have a stuck wheel to loosen all the wheel bolts 2 turns and drive the car forward/backward hitting the brake hard a few times and it may break that bond.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good comment, tomorrow extra valve stems in Q5

"remove the tire valve,"
FWIW, I wouldn't suggest that. If you remove the valve core, there's a good risk of losing it. And if not losing it, dropping it or getting dirt, pocket lint, whatever on it, and then the o-ring won't seat properly. Or, it may simply tear from being unseated and reseated.
Simpler to just KISS, inflate the tire with the valve core in place, the way it is designed to be inflated. If the tiny factory pump is inadequate for that...there are plenty of bigger faster stronger pumps on sale all the time.
And if you live someplace where there is winter...do you really want to screw around with valve cores at night on the side of the road in slush and snow? Nah. KISS.

One day I'm going to pull out the trim and see whether a full wheel can be coaxed in there.
I rather own wait 5 minutes to pump up the spare without the valve stem than 20 minutes with it in.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Recollpsing the spare has its problems...

Originally Posted by HarmsWay
It is known that once the spare is inflated and deflated the tire "may" not seat to the rim properly and not reinflate next time. A lot of owners like to try out the spare/compressor to get familar with the operation and test inflate the spare. They then deflate it and try again and have found the tire will not seal to the rim and thus no inflation
Old 03-09-2014, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll see as the tire ages, the fold is harder to "pop" thats why removing the tire valve helps to inflate it up to a point then putting the valve back to finish the job. Worst case the valve core is inexpensive to replace if it leaks.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Speaking of spares and all...

Is the standard 18" five double-spoke wheel, that's on the 2014 Q5, exactly the same wheel used in...what previous years?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally used the spare tire