Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Considering 2015 Audi Q5 P+

Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 2015 Audi Q5 P+

Hi Everyone!
How are you?
Im new to this forum and I was hoping you guys can help me out.
Im considering in purchasing a 2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus.
I love the design and the standard features, however, I want it to have a backup camera but I don't want the Technology Package for 4K since I don't need/want the rest of the features.
Is there a way to add just a stand alone backup camera as an option?
Also, one question, what is the MMI... I know its the interface but I keep reading about whether the Q5 includes MMI or not... isn't it supposed to be included by default on all Audis?
I look forward to your replies
Thank you!!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MMI includes:

- 1 CD/DVD-player & HD radio
- HDD Navi with voice control
- Color driver information system
- MMI "high" control panel

It does not include the backup camera. MMI is only an option on Premium. On a Premium Plus, it's not an option. Your only option on Premium Plus is Technology Package, and as far as I know, that is the only way you're going to get a backup camera.

Your other option would be to install some aftermarket NAV unit that comes with a backup camera, but I don't know how easy that would be and how seamless.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dantevn
Is there a way to add just a stand alone backup camera as an option?
Not through official channels, as the backup camera is part of the navigation package (which now has a couple of other things in it, as well). You can certainly go about adding an aftermarket camera (that can display through the MMI screen), but I'm not sure of the details on what that entails, what you get, and how much.

Also, one question, what is the MMI... I know its the interface but I keep reading about whether the Q5 includes MMI or not... isn't it supposed to be included by default on all Audis?
All Audis (at least all here) do have MMI, it's just a matter of the version/level. Though most of the time, when people talk about MMI they really mean MMI "high" (vs. "basic", I believe) and navigation. So the basic MMI will have a particular feature set, and the upgraded MMI that's part of the nav (now Technology) package will have additional functionality, plus the bits like nav and backup camera.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a Garmin with a backup camera:

Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 2798LMT Portable GPS with Backup Camera: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 2798LMT Portable GPS with Backup Camera: GPS & Navigation
Old 08-04-2014, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I look forward to your replies
Thank you!!
Here:
https://forums.audiworld.com/q5-sq5-.../#post24586910
Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all,
Thank you for the information!
Im aware that to have the camera i need the Tech package, but i don't want that package since what it includes, i don't need. Just the camera would be useful for me.
After market cameras would be the best shot i guess.
Would you know who can install an OEM camera? is there special places to take the car?
Thanks for the help!
Old 08-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2015 Q5 aftermarket backup camera

Hi all,
Thank you for the information!
Im aware that to have the camera i need the Tech package, but i don't want that package since what it includes, i don't need. Just the camera would be useful for me.
After market cameras would be the best shot i guess.
Would you know who can install an OEM camera? is there special places to take the car?
Thanks for the help!
We ordered a 2015 Q5 without Nav or the Tech pkg but want a backup camera. I thought this would be easy. Since there is very little change from 2014 to 2015, I would simply ask the Audi Dealer's maint dept to install a factory backup cam system. "Ohhh, no can do" said the dealer's maint peeps. "It is a very complicated system" he says. Not sure I understand their reluctance, but that's what 2 dealers told me. So through this forum I learned of emeraldintegrations.com. Check it out. When we get our car we will probably have this installed, unless I find something better. It's def worth look.