Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

First time bay area Audi buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With the possible exception of people treating you poorly because you're a girl it's not hard to sell your car on craigslist. I just sold my A4 in November (east bay area) and had no problems. That said I've sold a few cars on CL before. On a 2014 BMW you'll make thousands more via CL.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lentiman
With the possible exception of people treating you poorly because you're a girl it's not hard to sell your car on craigslist. I just sold my A4 in November (east bay area) and had no problems. That said I've sold a few cars on CL before. On a 2014 BMW you'll make thousands more via CL.
Good to know!! I'm a bit clueless on how to deal with the money, since it will be 25k plus, money order?
Old 01-20-2016, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A cashiers check would be appropriate. If you've not used one before: that's a check printed by the buyer's bank and made out directly to you. Once the buyer gets the check the money is removed from their account and held until you deposit the check. It's one of the best safe and secure ways to transfer large sums without using cash or a personal check. There's usually a small fee for the buyer of around $5 for the check.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

43K before tax for a Prem+ w/ tech package is actually a very good deal. Standard price online is just a hair under 43K without the tech package.

The acquisition program provides you a credit for coming to Audi from one of their competitors. I believe all 2004 models and older should fall under that. I think the credit is based on the year of the car and model you're buying. They have a list you can see at the dealer that updates regularly.

This credit should be on top of our trade-in value.

I calculated it and I believe I was roughly able to get 9% off the sticker price without much negotiating. I have a genuine belief Larry's first and last offer (assuming you ask all the right questions) will be the best he can give you.

Audi Stevens Creek is a high-volume dealer, so they generally are able to get good quotes for you. I went to 3 other Audi dealers in the bay area and none matched Stevens Creek.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by myq516
I got the following deal, I am in bay area.

47500 OTD for a 2016 Q5 2.0T premium plus + tech pkg. (daytona gray pearl). No floor mats, cargo net or audi care. No frills.

What do you guys think of it ? Did anyone manage to negotiate for better deal around here.
what was the msrp? 2 other things that worked for me:
- went with pre-approved loan, audi countered with a slightly higher rate and a $750 discount on the agreed price. i took audi's offer and bought audi care with it, i then quickly refinanced with my original bank to the lower rate.
- talked to the sales guy and mentioned that his name comes up a lot in internal company recommendations. he said we were generally no-fuss customers and didn't waste much of his time. so while driving off he said there is a small gift from him to us -- audi all-weather mats were put inside, we didn't even ask.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lentiman
A cashiers check would be appropriate. If you've not used one before: that's a check printed by the buyer's bank and made out directly to you. Once the buyer gets the check the money is removed from their account and held until you deposit the check. It's one of the best safe and secure ways to transfer large sums without using cash or a personal check. There's usually a small fee for the buyer of around $5 for the check.
Perfect! Thank you!!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tahoelocal
what was the msrp? 2 other things that worked for me:
- went with pre-approved loan, audi countered with a slightly higher rate and a $750 discount on the agreed price. i took audi's offer and bought audi care with it, i then quickly refinanced with my original bank to the lower rate.
- talked to the sales guy and mentioned that his name comes up a lot in internal company recommendations. he said we were generally no-fuss customers and didn't waste much of his time. so while driving off he said there is a small gift from him to us -- audi all-weather mats were put inside, we didn't even ask.
msrp on the car was around 50,000. I said I did not need the audi guard protection kit and cargo nets so he took about 400 off the msrp. So my msrp was around 49,600.

those are neat tricks ! should have known earlier
Old 01-22-2016, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased a 2016 Q5 3.0T with S-line and Tech Package last weekend. The MSRP was $51,600. I got it for $46.500. It was not a hard negotiation, and I got the floor and cargo rubber mats included, plus half off the maintenance package.

I am in DC, and like SF, the market for luxury vehicles is hot, so I believe Audi is willing to deal.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes the dealers are hot to deal because this is the time of the year business is slow.

Having BMWs, my local So cal Audi dealer has been offering 10% off MSRP on any of the cars on the lot. But with the SQ5, which I really like, they are offering almost 15% off ($10,000 off $64K car)! So I know there is even more room to deal on a Q5.

BMW customers will have Audi Conquest cash is definitely applicable as well as back end monies....
Old 02-03-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm about to purchase a Q5 3.0T with tech package, sport interior, and 20" wheels for my wife. The MSRP is $52,375 and I was quoted $47,000 for the car (10.3% off MSRP). Do I have more room for negotiation? I'm shooting for $50k OTD after the new Audi owner incentive.

Quick Reply: First time bay area Audi buyer questions