Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

First World Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First World Problems

Hi Gang - Lease is up on my Ford Explorer Sport so looking for a replacement. I read that some people here are familiar with that truck so that will help with my "dilemma". Also, not looking to be sold on the SQ5, more of a "what-would-you-do-if-you-were-me".

The Ford has been my daily driver for two years. I have an M3 vert which I drive in the summer (about six thousand miles worth - so not every day) and my wife has an Acadia. Two big SUVs and a fun car for the family. The Explorer replaced a Ford Edge Sport two years ago and I went larger due to hockey bags, music equipment, golf clubs etc. I also tend to tire of cars quickly - lease cars for 24 months. Love the Explorer - lots of power, nicely appointed, big and roomy. However, the big truck gets in the way sometimes.

Onto the dilemma. I'm asking this here because this board seems to be filled with people who are automotive enthusiasts and the SQ5/Q5 is not "inexpensive" so there are some socio-economic similarities as well. My daily driver is for going back and forth to the train station, driving to kids hockey, going to the cottage on a Friday night when the fam is already up there. So, knowing what I have in the stable, do I keep the large SUV (lots of room), get the SQ5 (maintaining a fun "SUV" as my daily), or look at an all year sports sedan, like the S6 (all year fun)?

Hoping some peeps with similar situations/experiences can chime in.

Thanks and cheers.

PS Long enough first post?
Old 11-25-2015, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I am in the situation of my wife's drive is the 2014 Q5 TDI and my primary is the 2015 S3. I am retired so I really don't need a "daily driver", I just drive whichever one is available and appropriate for the task. I am thinking about a "truck" to add to the mix. Something more appropriate for going to Home Depot, or just wanting to "truck" around. Maybe a used Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is one option. Another option is going for a used Toyota 4Runner or Sequoia. Why those two? They are only vehicles I know that have power roll down rear windows in the tailgate. (BTW, you can't open the rear window on the new Explorer's). Provides a different cargo loading option. And the Sequoia provides the ability to travel with 8 adults, where others you can only put children in third row. I plan on going to the auto show this spring and decide what truck fits my need.

So those are my thoughts. How does the Acadia differ from the Explorer in providing that cargo or people carrying department?

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 11-25-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The rolling down of the tailgate window on the Toyota's is an amazing feature. Don't know why more SUVs have that.

The Acadia is a cavernous beast but has absolutely nothing to offer in the fun department. Both our trucks hold 7 passengers but her's is noticeably larger. You can fit a full adult hockey bag into the cargo hold of the Acadia with all three sets of seats in their upright position.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Given the Acadia is your "truck", maybe you would like a Porsche Macan. Maybe too nice for the train station.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Since it is a station vehicle, a Q3 with Prestige package and sport package is under $40,000. I had one as a loaner and was impressed. Yes it is a 4 cylinder , but it is fun. And Consumer Reports ranked it as the top SUV Luxury Entry Level vehicle. Good luck.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 11-25-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you sir!
Old 11-26-2015, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Always the RSQ3 if you want a bit more fun....can you get that in the US?
Old 11-26-2015, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you came from Ford, look at the Land Rover Discovery Sport - very rare car around town as it just released the first model year less than 6 months ago.
Land Rover sources their engine from Ford (Eco boost).
Discovery Sport is about $50K. Lease should be around $700 per month for 24 months...

Or if you have the bucks, the SQ5 is very nice with the super charger engine.
$62K. Lease is around $800 for 24 months.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
Always the RSQ3 if you want a bit more fun....can you get that in the US?
NO
Old 11-26-2015, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For someone with the performance itch like me (M3 certainly qualifies), I'd trade both the summer-use-only M3 and the Explorer for an S7. Keep the Acadia as the family mule, take 2 car lease/insurance payments down to one, and smile year-round every time you mash the gas.

Last edited by brutus23079; 11-26-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: First World Problems